Chasing Amy

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
fearltd

Chasing Amy

Post by fearltd »

Hello,

I am getting scrambled video for two particular titles on the Blu-Ray of Chasing Amy. The rest of the disc rips fine, except for these two featurettes. These two featurettes also happen to be the only newly created special features for the disc. The movie and the older special features convert fine. I've been ripping a bunch of Blu-Rays lately and have not encountered this problem anywhere else. i do not get any type of error code in the log, and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere else. I don't know if it's a problem with the disc's protection or something else.

Thanks.
fearltd

Re: Chasing Amy

Post by fearltd »

Just to let everyone know, I am still having this problem. It's weird; I've ripped at least 15-20 blu-rays so far and this is the ONLY one that has this problem, and it's only for these two specific titles. I've tried to do a backup of this disc and try to manually convert the m2ts files, but I still have the same problem. The disc is protected with AACS v19, but I don't think that's the problem. If it helps, this is what the scrambling looks like, I can still hear the audio.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Have you enabled debugging (Settings, General), as outlined in the link below? Anything showing up in the log?

Generally speaking, if MakeMKV encounters a version of BD+ that it doesn't know about, it will generate a file that should be forwarded to svq@makemkv.com , and it will give you the path to that file in the debugging messages.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fearltd

Post by fearltd »

Woodstock wrote:Have you enabled debugging (Settings, General), as outlined in the link below? Anything showing up in the log?

Generally speaking, if MakeMKV encounters a version of BD+ that it doesn't know about, it will generate a file that should be forwarded to svq@makemkv.com , and it will give you the path to that file in the debugging messages.
Thank you for responding. Like I said earlier, I enabled the log and did not see any type of error code. I'll attach it here. It is a strange phenomenon as I said, since I have ripped many blu-rays so far and have not encountered this problem anywhere else. I'll try that email address. Thank you again.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(6.66 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Looks more like a decoder issue than anything to do with MakeMKV.

Try playing the file back using different software, I always have the best luck with SMplayer.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

If you scan the file with MediaInfo, what is the video codec(you can paste the whole video section if you aren't sure)?

SC
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere else.
Return the disc to the place of purchase in exchange for a new replacement...

fearltd

Post by fearltd »

Thanks everyone. As suggested, I opened the disc in a different player (VLC) and I still have the same problem with these titles. I downloaded Aurora Blu-Ray player and these titles were less scrambled, but still not correctly playing.
Smithcraft wrote:If you scan the file with MediaInfo, what is the video codec(you can paste the whole video section if you aren't sure)?

SC
The codec is Windows Media Video VC1 (VC-1). I don't think this is the problem, because the titles on the same disc that work correctly have the same codec.

I also don't think the disc is defective because these titles did work on a real blu-ray player. There must be some kind of advanced/unknown decryption on these titles, it's just very strange I haven't encountered it on any other disc.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

fearltd wrote:The codec is Windows Media Video VC1 (VC-1). I don't think this is the problem, because the titles on the same disc that work correctly have the same codec.
Does it use progressive or interlaced coding? When we're talking about VC-1, it matters.
fearltd

Post by fearltd »

Romansh wrote:
fearltd wrote:The codec is Windows Media Video VC1 (VC-1). I don't think this is the problem, because the titles on the same disc that work correctly have the same codec.
Does it use progressive or interlaced coding? When we're talking about VC-1, it matters.
I think this is the problem. I looked it up, and I believe that these titles are interlaced while the others are progressive, which explain why they work and these do not. I know know if there's a definitive easy way to deal with these files. Thank you for your help.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

With any luck, VLC 2.1 will include interlaced VC-1 support.

You can download the first release candidate here:

http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2013/VLC-2.1.0-rc1