Issues with Blu-Ray MKV to Handbrake

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
demariners

Issues with Blu-Ray MKV to Handbrake

Post by demariners »

So I typically have converted my BluRay RIP MKV to Handbrake in the past with flying colors. Now with the recent update almost ALL blurry I rip do not encode the entire movie on handbrake even though the MKV contains the entire movie. For example if I make a MKV with a BLURAY and then put it into handbrake and let's say the movie is 1 hour 30 minutes. The MKV file has the entire movie sound and picture. When I put it into Handbrake as I always have it shows all the information including the audio, chapters, video and shows an 1 hour and 30 minutes movie. When I go to convert it the actual m4v file created for the movie completes and says successful but the movie itself is an hour let's say. This happens on almost all blur ays even ones I have done before that used to not have this issue and not do. I have been having to use makemkvtool to remux and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work in handbrake conversion still after that. Any suggestions? It is MakeMKV that is causing this issue as I have already seen handbrake work perfectly fine for everything else including my MKV in the past I have always had no issues.
Woodstock

Re: Issues with Blu-Ray MKV to Handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

You need to isolate your factors. There could be a problem with MakeMKV, but start with, CAN YOU PLAY THE MKV?

If you can play the full MKV file, then the file is probably OK. If you can't, enable debug logging and rip the movie again. Follow the procedures outlined in the FAQ in my signature. Mike MAY also want you to do a "testdump", if necessary.

But, if the file is OK before it gets to handbrake, you need to ask over on forum.handbrake.fr... and they will want a complete log of the encode.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
demariners

Post by demariners »

Yes I can play the entire MLV file with audio and video no issues. I have already started a post with Handbrake and it all leads to the MKV file that is created and I gave them a debug log and there is nothing that they can see the issue with. Again I have done this probably over 200 times with no issues until recently. There has been no updates to Handbrake but there was a couple to MakeMkv.
rexdragon

Post by rexdragon »

Since you've provided little info about your typical workflow, the proceeding is all just based on assumptions and speculations.
I assume you're re-encoding your mkvs with Handbrake mainly for reducing file sizes to be more manageable.
demariners wrote: When I go to convert it the actual m4v file created for the movie completes and says successful but the movie itself is an hour let's say.
Since you're re-encoding the mkvs and saving them into m4v (or mp4) containers thru Handbrake, you must ensure that the box "Large file size" is checked (located in the Output Settings section of the Handbrake UI). Re-encoding into mp4 using Handbrake has a 4gb size limit for the output file. If there is a 4gb overflow and the large file size box is unchecked, the resulting mp4/m4v file becomes unplayable; however Handbrake will continue with the re-encoding process til completion without even popping up an error message regarding the data overflow.
demariners wrote:So I typically have converted my BluRay RIP MKV to Handbrake in the past with flying colors.
I am guessing if this were true for your previous mp4/m4v files from Handbrake with "Large file size" unchecked, the output file sizes were 4gb or less.

Once again, the preceding is all just based on assumptions and speculation. However, the symptoms you've described (re-encoding a complete MKV thru Handbrake resulting in an incomplete mp4/m4v file) have been attributed to the situation I've just detailed. Hope this helps. :)
demariners

Post by demariners »

I usually just use the Apple TV 3 profile which ALWAYS checks the "Large Files". What information can I provide that would help diagnose the issue? I could supply the Handbrake activity window which I have done so on Handbrake's forum and no one was able to see any issues on it.