Problems: Chronicles of Riddick and Planet of Apes (Dawn)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jack123

Problems: Chronicles of Riddick and Planet of Apes (Dawn)

Post by jack123 »

First - thanks for a very useful program - this is my first post.

I'm having problems with The Chronicles of Riddick from the 3 disc BluRay set.
The output produces hundreds of "... corrupt or invalid at offset..." messages

I'm running win7-64 UAC off as admin - makemkv 1.9.0 trial

I also have the previously reported problem with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
and as I dont allow auto updating I'm looking forward to the next fix release for that.
(Any idea when?.. I know thats tricky)

Anyway best wishes and dare I say - happy xmas.

jack
Woodstock

Re: Problems: Chronicles of Riddick and Planet of Apes (Dawn

Post by Woodstock »

There are a number of disks out there that are mastered in strange ways. And when you encounter one, you may see hundreds or thousands of messages like you are seeing - MakeMKV is letting you know that it is trying various things to work around the problem.

If MakeMKV does not say it was unable to save the title, the work-arounds were successful. Don't concern yourself with them. With some publishers, it's so bad that MakeMKV tells me it won't report errors to the status window any more - they'll only be in the log.

If they were not successful (title wasn't saved), the log can provide Mike with valuable information on how to work around whatever the new issue is.

The link in my signature explains step one in resolving issue like that.

Edited to add: Since SVQ files might apply to only one disk, some SVQ files are NOT incorporated into the "main" MakeMKV program, so not allowing updating means you might still be unable to rip disks that have been "solved", even if you have the latest version. It's obviously a security choice everyone needs to make according to their individual needs, but just be aware of it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jack123

Re: Problems: Chronicles of Riddick and Planet of Apes (Dawn

Post by jack123 »

Thanks for the reply and info Woodstock

Since posting I have been trying a number of things and it looks like this is some sort of newer physical protection maybe.
I have quite an old LG BD writer (3 years I think) and out of desperation went to look for a firmware
update - amazingly there was one this august - but that didn't help.

There are 3 discs in the riddick set and the first one wont even start up in the drive so I tried it in
my laptop (VERY old - 5 year old BD writer - matshita V1.0 firmware) and it struggled but was able
to read the disc with errors. I havn't looked at the output yet though.

The Chronicles disc still wont read even in that drive (but does play in a bluray player with no problems).
That's a bit disturbing.

I also seem to have the same or similar problem with a new Misfits box set. The discs aren't recognised at all by the LG
and only struggle in the matshita in the laptop - again they are fine in a bluray player.
Unfortunately the conversion by makemkv plays fine on a pc (MPC-HC-64) but although the audio
is in sync the video frame rate is clearly wrong somehow on other devices - I really dont understand that.
Although if I convert the video from VC-1 to MP4 and stick it in a .TS wrapper that plays perfectly so perhaps
I'm seeing a problem with VC-1 codecs too - all the problem discs were bought this week.

The annoying thing is I have tried some older blurays I have here (house/fringe/galactica etc) and
makemkv works perfectly with all (so much so I will probably buy in to makemkv and do all my discs despite
these problems)

I can see I need to spend time to sort this out. I really dont want to have to buy another
bluray player and have yet another box to plug in here.

I will take a look at the link you provided and see what I can do if it's helpful.

I'm always open to suggestions from anyone on this.

thanks again.
jack