The Homesman

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
TigerMoth
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:17 pm

The Homesman

Post by TigerMoth » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Anybody have any idea which title is correct for this Blu Ray? My player says its Title 1, but of course, I'm skeptical as there are about a hundred titles; all with the same running time

whitins55
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:25 am

Re: The Homesman

Post by whitins55 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 am

Looks like it is 00393.mpls

with segment map 106,116,101,110,112,105,119,384,102,114,111,117,109,104,113,103,108,118,115,107

TigerMoth
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by TigerMoth » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 am

Much appreciated! By the way, how could you tell?

whitins55
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:25 am

Re: The Homesman

Post by whitins55 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:40 am

I used a brute force method. I'm sure there is probably a better way but this is what I did.

To start there were approx 300 titles all with the same duration so I needed to narrow it down.

I decided to look at the first 4 segments so I went down the list of titles only selecting the ones that had a unique 4 segment combination that has not been previously selected. I created a spreadsheet in Excel to help keep track of this.

After going through all the titles I had 6 Selected with the following info (I used MPLS here instead of Track # because depending on you disc and settings the track# could be different)
MPLS Seg 1 Seg 2 Seg 3 Seg 4
00002 106 101 110 116
00009 106 110 101 116
00022 106 116 110 101
00024 106 110 116 101
00031 106 101 116 110
00073 106 116 101 110

So I ripped those 6 titles.

now I needed to figure out which order the first 4 segments should be in.

to do this I played two titles side by side this allowed me to notice the first difference was around the 5 min mark. So this must be the end of Segment 106.

After comparing the differences in the titles it became clear that the proper segment order was 106, 116, 101, 110.

at this point I went back to MakeMKV went through the list finding the tracks that had the correct segment order for the first 4 segments.
each one I found I added it to my spreadsheet indicating the segment order for the next 4 segments (5-8) This got me down to 43 possible titles.

Not wanting to wait around while I ripped more titles and not wanting to rip all 42 (I already had 1 ripped) I decided to see if I could find out any other info from the 6 titles I had already ripped.

1 thing I noticed while looking at my spreadsheet was that all the titles I had written down had segment 112 as the 5th segment.

similar to before I watched two titles side by side and figured out that the end of segment 112 came around the 27 min mark.

Comparing the titles I had already ripped I was able to determine that segment 105 came directly after segment 112.

Looking at my spreadsheet this narrowed down the list of titles to 13

I was also able to figure out that segment 102 came before 114. and that 119 came after 105

Looking at my spreadsheet only two titles met this criteria.

MPLS Seg 1 Seg 2 Seg 3 Seg 4 Seg 5 Seg 6 Seg 7 Seg 8 Seg 9 Seg 10
00393 106 116 101 110 112 105 119 384 102 114
00439 106 116 101 110 112 105 119 102 384 114

So I ripped those two titles.

when comparing those two title it became clear that segment 384 came before segment 102 and so I determined that 00393 was the correct mpls.

Obviously this is a time consuming and tedious process but if a Google search turns up nothing this will work.

johng
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by johng » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 am

How does a Bluray player know what order to play the .mt2s files or which playlist to pick when you put the disc in and hit play? It seems like there should be an easier way to figure this out???

johng

ndjamena
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: The Homesman

Post by ndjamena » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:05 am

It throws up a menu, then you tell it what to play. Isn't that what MakeMKV is doing too?

johng
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by johng » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm

A Bluray player just goes to the main screen where you hit the play button for the movie. You don't select a playlist as somehow the Bluray player knows which of the hundreds of playlists is the real one (in the case of this movie 00393.mpls). I must not be that hard for the bluray player to figure this out so it just seems odd their aren't programs that don't just tell you what the correct playlist is. Or put something into makemkv that does this for us.

johng
ndjamena wrote:It throws up a menu, then you tell it what to play. Isn't that what MakeMKV is doing too?

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by Romansh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

johng wrote:How does a Bluray player know what order to play the .mt2s files or which playlist to pick when you put the disc in and hit play?
It doesn't. You tell it which playlist to play by hitting the corresponding element in the Blu-ray menu. It can be labeled "Play" or anything else, and doesn't even have to be the first item. As for the play button on my remote, it does nothing on my Blu-ray player, when pressing it from the main menu. I select the "Play" item and press the OK button instead.

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by Romansh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 pm

ndjamena wrote:It throws up a menu, then you tell it what to play. Isn't that what MakeMKV is doing too?
Not really, MakeMKV shows you a list instead of the actual Blu-ray menu :P

johng
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by johng » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:55 pm

OK, that makes sense but then how does the bluray player know to make the play button / select combo select the correct playlist? Somehow the bluray player has to get something off the disc itself that tells it the correct playlist (and to reference it to the "play" button on the main menu). If that's the case it seems that makemkv or some other program should be able to figure that out if we make an exact copy of the disc (like makemkv backup does).

johng
Romansh wrote:
johng wrote:How does a Bluray player know what order to play the .mt2s files or which playlist to pick when you put the disc in and hit play?
It doesn't. You tell it which playlist to play by hitting the corresponding element in the Blu-ray menu. It can be labeled "Play" or anything else, and doesn't even have to be the first item. As for the play button on my remote, it does nothing on my Blu-ray player, when pressing it from the main menu. I select the "Play" item and press the OK button instead.

johng
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by johng » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:11 pm

As an aside after googling how to determine the correct playlist I found a mention of DVDFab media player, so I installed the lastest 2.5.0.2 version. The player tells you which play list it selected for the main movie when you play the movie, and in the case of "The Homesman" it is selecting playlist 872 as the main movie (vs 393 which this thread says is the correct one). I haven't watched the whole movie so I have no idea who is right, but it somehow DVDFab media player is figuring out which playlist it "thinks" is right.

johng

q3131a
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:04 am

Re: The Homesman

Post by q3131a » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Is there a deselect all option so I don't have to uncheck three hundred check boxes?

Woodstock
Posts: 7666
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by Woodstock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Other than using your mouse to RIGHT click on the selection window and picking "unselect all" from the menu that pops up, no.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

ndjamena
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: The Homesman

Post by ndjamena » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:16 pm

johng wrote:As an aside after googling how to determine the correct playlist I found a mention of DVDFab media player, so I installed the lastest 2.5.0.2 version. The player tells you which play list it selected for the main movie when you play the movie, and in the case of "The Homesman" it is selecting playlist 872 as the main movie (vs 393 which this thread says is the correct one). I haven't watched the whole movie so I have no idea who is right, but it somehow DVDFab media player is figuring out which playlist it "thinks" is right.

johng
It's a cat and mouse game. Blu Ray producers added all these fake titles to make ripping the discs more difficult. Eventually rippers discovered how to figure out what the actual correct title is. The next step is for the producers to figure out how to stop the rippers from detecting the correct title, or trick them into finding the wrong one instead...

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: The Homesman

Post by Romansh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 am

johng wrote:OK, that makes sense but then how does the bluray player know to make the play button / select combo select the correct playlist? Somehow the bluray player has to get something off the disc itself that tells it the correct playlist (and to reference it to the "play" button on the main menu).
Each button is linked to something (can be a playlist, starting at chapter 1 or any other chapter). But:

1) parsing all Blu-ray menus is non-trivial (BD-Java menus especially); displaying menus even more so (depending on how you look at it, maybe 90% or more of implementing a full BD player)

2) buttons are just that, without showing the menu to the user there's no way to be sure which button is the "Play" button…

Post Reply