Ripping Ironman 3 failed, ASUS BW-12B1S crashes & disappears

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
xiaohundan

Ripping Ironman 3 failed, ASUS BW-12B1S crashes & disappears

Post by xiaohundan »

I have been using MakeMKV to rip my 15 of my blu-rays collection into MKV files. Recently ripping started failing and crashes my writer, ASUS BW-12B1S. MakeMKV would rip half-way and failed, no files get created, and drive would become inaccessible (it would disappear from Windows File Explorer). I have this drive for a month, and started ripping 3 weeks ago.

Blu-ray currently failing:
Ironman, Ironman 3, Avenger & TMNT.

(Note: I tried ripping titles that I've previously ripped, they would fail)

Here is my observation:
1) Insert any blu-ray and use MakeMKV to rip it into MKV
2) MakeMKV starts ripping process and I could see it progresses via progress bar
3) Ripping would fail halfway and report failure. This time, the Blu-Ray drive disappears from Windows File Explorer and is no longer accessible. Reinsert Blu-ray does not help.
4) After rebooting the computer, the drive reappears and becomes accessible. In the attempt to rip blu-ray again, same issue observed
5) I suspect the drive crashed which brings the drive into inaccessible mode.

Not sure if this is software or hardware issue. I'm posting here in case someone is experiencing similar issue.
Woodstock

Re: Ripping Ironman 3 failed, ASUS BW-12B1S crashes & disapp

Post by Woodstock »

More likely, the motherboard lost communications with the drive, which caused the error. Resetting the computer resets the interface to the drive, and communications works again... until whatever failed fails again.

Given that MakeMKV will run the drive up to its full speed, you could have something that is overheating, either in the drive itself or on the motherboard. You can test this by trying to copy files from the drive, if you have something that Windows won't limit the speed on. If you were running Linux, I'd suggest using 'dd' to copy a disk image, using a large block size, because it can spin optical disks up about as well as MakeMKV does.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Re: Ripping Ironman 3 failed, ASUS BW-12B1S crashes & disapp

Post by Smithcraft »

That appears to be an external drive, so make sure it isn't bus powered, and is plugged into a power adapter.

SC