House - Video artefeact

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
cogitare

House - Video artefeact

Post by cogitare »

I have purchased the BR Complete House MD box set. When I run it through MakeMKV it completes successfully but when played a band of video artefact appears which runs roughly across the middle in a variety of colours as a band. This occurs from 1-3 times and lasts around 2 seconds. Playback continues otherwise unaffected. I tried a different BR unit, same effect.
Woodstock

Re: House - Video artefeact

Post by Woodstock »

Was there anything in the log of the rip? What you describe could be an example of a BD+ interpretation failure, and there would usually be something mentioned in the log.

See the FAQ in my signature, and retry the rip with debug logging enabled.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

I have sent txt file to the support email address, no obvious issues to me, but I have no real idea. Plays fine on PS3 btw.
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

So any idea why this is happening?
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

Well I guess this must have been closed - or there is no answer
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't have paid support people or "open/closed" tickets. And since Mike isn't here every day, it can be a few days to get answers when things are sufficiently weird. And, since I haven't seen the log, I can't tell what level of weird we're talking about here. :)
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

Test dump sent several days ago hope it helps.
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

OK so more on this issue. I ripped House MD Bluray. Once or twice on each episode a video artefact appears. I ripped the disc originally with Makemkv. Played back in Plex gives the artefact, VLC plays perfectly. Ripped again with another software to an iso file. Makemkv used again on iso file. Same result. Artefact appears at exactly the same time mark.

So is it Plex or Makemkv or both?

I tried to attach a photo to show the artefact but get an error "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Any further ideas?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Is Plex transcoding the video to your TV or device? VLC would not have to, but a lot of devices have requirements that Plex tries to cater to, and the transcoding may be where the glitch is coming from. Since the raw file is the same, the error would be the same when the file is played.
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

Hmm I'll check in the Plex settings to see if its doing anything or passthrough. The glitch seems to occur at around the same time point almost 14mins, and in multiples of 14, for e.g. the second occurred at 42mins. The effect occurred at around the 14 min mark on the next episode also. It last about 1-2 s. If you want to see the image i have posted on the Plex forum at https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... -artefact/.

This effect was also found on Looper when I watched it, but other blurays have generally seemed ok. Never seen on DVD.

Thanks
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

OK problem occurs when Plex Video hardware acceleration is turned on. Also seems to occur with scene changes.
Thanks for help
makememe

Post by makememe »

where is the plex video acceleration setting? what version do you have because I have yet to find it. what do you mean by played back in plex? are you testing from the server machine or an app or a browser on another machine? if browser, which one?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

While I do not use Plex on my system, I recall that the hardware acceleration option is ONLY displayed/available if your server supports it. If you don't have the hardware, you won't even be asked.
makememe

Post by makememe »

I do not mean to derail this thread, but I am curious about using the gpu. I have yet to find anything by plex referring to ha and the requirements etc. I see others mentioning how they configure it, but I do not have the option. This thread has opened up a mystery for my ht solution.

there are suggestions at plex regarding ha and turning it off, for some issues, and that concurs with what cogitare observed.

thanks woodstock.
cogitare

Post by cogitare »

Go to PHT (current non plex pass version )preferences, video playback, its an option. Not on server app. I leave it off and video plays fine, weird tho.