West Side Story

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Lstewart2525

West Side Story

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Just tried to back up my blu-ray copy of West Side Story, but all I got was an "extra" (the dances with commentary)

So I'm wondering what the steps are to be able to back up the movie only?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: West Side Story

Post by Woodstock »

"Backup" should pull everything, and put it in a directory structure that mimics the original BD.

"Open" will let you select individual titles within the BD, and make MKV files instead of M2TS.

Which were you using?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

I used "Backup", and now I'm pretty sure that MakeMKV did everything perfectly. I now think that BD Rebuilder, which I had set to "movie only," chose the wrong file. Of course, that's not a MakeMKV problem, but if anyone knows how to ensure that BD Rebuilder chooses the correct "movie only" file, I'd be most grateful to know. Thanks!
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Well, decrypting using MakeMKV and thereafter using BD Rebuilder I did a "Full Backup" of West Side Story, but upon trying to play the blu-ray, I got a message that said

"Cannot Play Disc" and then a big red screen came up that said:

"Warning: Your blu-ray player requires an update in order to play this disc. Please visit your blu-ray player's manufacturers website and follow their instructions to update your blu-ray player. For additional information on Blu-ray player updates, please visit the Blu-Ray Update website at [url]http://blu-raydisc.com/ForBestResults. Twentieth Century Fox and MGM are not responsible for the content or practices of manufacturers websites. Each manufacturer controls and is responsible for its own website."

I use a Sony Google TV NSZ-GT1 blu-ray player.

I wonder what the meaning of all that is? And I'm back to square one in trying to backup West Side Story. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My guess would be that the disk uses BD+ as part of its "copy protection". You might want to read this page: http://www.makemkv.com/svq/

MakeMKV only decodes BD+ when it is converting the file to an MKV; it is expected that a player that understands M2TS files would have its own BD+ interpreter, so the M2TS files are just decrypted, and not "fixed up". When going to a MKV file, MakeMKV will also interpret the BD+ programming, and apply its fixes to the resulting file.

Since BD+ programming gets changed at irregular intervals, "hardware" players have to have their firmware updated periodically. When was the last time you updated the Sony's firmware?
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Hey Woodstock,

Thanks for your explanations and references!

My "Sony Google TV NSZ GT1" blu-ray player is getting rather old and is discontinued I'm sure, so I don't think they are doing any more firmware updates. Normally they'll automatically notify me that a firmware upgrade is available, and I've always updated. But I haven't gotten a notice in perhaps a year or more, as best as I can remember.

At this point however, I'm not quite sure what my next step is. I just want to backup my legally purchased copy of West Side Story to a blank 25GB blu-ray disc.

I've always just used MakeMKV, choosing "backup", and then used BD Rebuilder, pointing BD Rebuilder to the file that MakeMKV produced, and then burning with ImgBurn. But for this particular blu-ray, if I choose "movie only" in BD Rebuilder, BD Rebuilder chooses the wrong file, but then if I choose "full backup" in BD Rebuilder, I get an unplayable blu-ray and the red screen of death (RSOD?)

On the other hand, if I choose "Open Files" in MakeMKV, and then point BD Rebuilder to the files that MakeMKV creates, I get a message from BD Rebuilder that says, "Selected Source is not BD format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! -Lloyd
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's because BD rebuilder isn't authoring software, which is what you need when constructing an BD from MKV files.

If it is a BD+ issue, you MIGHT want to consider moving to a media player, rather than (or in addition to) a BD player. You can get network media players for just about any budget nowadays, and some will even do 3D from MKV files. My BD player isn't even attached to a TV right now... too damn convenient to pull things across the network instead of digging out a disk.
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Now that's what I needed to hear! Sometimes I can't believe how uninformed I am. A "network media player", eh? I haven't even begun to crack the books on that option, so I must ask, "Would you have any recommendations for one that will even play 3D and maybe even 4K?" (I just acquired a 4k, 3D television)

I know there's little 4K material out there now, but looking to the future, I wonder what "network media player" might work best?

I am sooooooo open to suggestions from someone experienced in these, for me, uncharted waters.

Thanks!!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure about the 4K option, have not seen it. My knowledge of what's on the market right now is limited by the fact that I found a couple that work well enough for my needs about 18 months ago. And the market does change quite quickly at times.

Punch "network media player 3D review" into your favorite search engine, and limit the results to the last year. One of the problems is that some manufacturers get in and out of this market in a flash. Be sure to check comments on the reviews.

For example, I have a Micca EP600v2, which does 3D and PGS subtitles from streamed MKV files. But, it hasn't had a firmware update in over a year (and there is a bug that keeps crashing it on some content), because the manufacturer of the hardware it is based upon went out of business. Micca doesn't do their own software.

I also have a Uebo M400, which is also marketed by others, which does NOT do 3D, but does PGS subtitles with the latest firmware it got... which is 2+ years old. I use ay Uebo M100 (not networked, but with an internal hard drive) with my projector, to provide video to the local Anime club each month.

There are several out there that are really cheap, in both the price and quality meanings of the word. And, there are even Bluray players that have network streaming capabilities, although somewhat clunky at times.

Your TV might be able to do streaming directly. I have two Samsung TVs; the old one has limited streaming capability from DLNA-compatible servers, the other (under 2 years old) works better, but still doesn't support subtitles properly. It's perfectly adequate for the family, because they don't watch subtitled content.

Of course, then you have to start thinking about "media servers"... Which is another discussion altogether!
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Thanks Woodstock!
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

By the way, should anyone be as new to the subject of "android boxes" as I am and not have any idea of which is best or most reliable, I'll suggest this review link:

http://androidpcreview.com/best-android ... 2015/2309/

After reading that and a heckuva lot of opinions about a heckuva lot of android boxes on Amazon and elsewhere, I decided to go with the Minix NEO X8-H Plus android box with free airmouse and an additional Minix A2 remote because the reliability of the box seems better than most, especially with 4K, and because of the amazing (A2) remote with the Qwerty keyboard on the back of it. (by the way, if anyone goes to looking for this box, be very careful that you have exactly the same model number that I listed above. Example: If there is no "H" in the number or no "Plus", it's a lesser box.

Downside: Cost with tax for everything through Geekbuying, including the extra remote, was $193.44!!! (Compare that to $35.00 for the Raspberry pi)
Downside: I didn't see anywhere that it supports 3D

At any rate, once I get a fast hard drive or SSD, it looks like I'll be set to make MKV's using MakeMKV and, using this android box, stream them to my TV.

Then my life will be complete, and all will be right with the world........I'm pretty sure.
Lstewart2525

Re: West Side Story - SOLVED!!!

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Solved: Making a backup of West Side Story.

Originally I had problems making a backup of West Side Story. I used MakeMKV version 1.9.2 and used the "Backup" mode where files (NOT MKV files) are created that BD Rebuilder uses to reconstruct and shrink, to be followed by Imgburn using the BDMV and Certificate files to burn a playable blu-ray.

But the makers of that commercial blu-ray, knowingly or unknowingly, fixed it to where BD Rebuilder chose the wrong file. And there were numerous files from which to choose. So, on the advice of a fellow user, I downloaded something called "BD Info" and found the 2 files that matched the playing time of the original movie, as show on the IMDb website. Those were files #800 and #850. Once I pointed BD Rebuilder, using its "Alternate Movie-Only Output" mode to either of those files (and then used ImgBurn), it produced a very nice decrypted (thanks to MakeMKV) blu-ray backup of West Side Story.

I still purchased the Minix android box [came in today!] and 5 TB Ext Hard Drive so that I can play my back ups using an MKV file............and thus my store bought original remains safely stored inside it's box, not to touched unless my backup equipment fails somehow.
cumminsla

Post by cumminsla »

I used "Backup", and now I'm pretty sure that MakeMKV did everything perfectly. I now think that BD Rebuilder, which I had set to "movie only," chose the wrong file. Of course, that's not a MakeMKV problem, but if anyone knows how to ensure that BD Rebuilder chooses the correct "movie only" file, I'd be most grateful to know. Thanks!