Avatar, TLOEG: Unrippable Blu-ray Discs?...

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MZAdotcom

Avatar, TLOEG: Unrippable Blu-ray Discs?...

Post by MZAdotcom »

Hello:

First time posting. I've been using MakeMKV for a while now and am very happy with the purchase. Seems though that there are some blu-ray discs [BRD] that it cannot rip. Two I've run across so far are "Avatar" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", 2 of my fave flicks.

What was interesting in the case of "Avatar" was that the BRD was not even detected in my PC disc drive [LG WH14NS40] or by MakeMKV. Popped it in my Sony BRD player and it worked just fine.

Had more success with "TLOEG". Tried both ripping methods: "Backup" to a BDMV file and "Save selected titles" to MKV files. The BDMV method did not work @ all. Tried twice, received the same error. Was able to rip to MKV format, but not the actual movie. Some bonus features were there, but not the feature film. And this is an older movie/encryption format.

I would think the newer titles with the latest encryption methods would be harder to rip, but nope. In my experience, I've been able to rip many new movies. It's the older movies that are giving MakeMKV problems. So a bit baffled here.

Has anybody else run across this issue/with these titles in particular? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
@HTPC: Intel NUC HTPC [BOXDN2820FYKH0] | Plextor 128GB SIII SSD | G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | Win 10 Pro | SAMSUNG 55" LED HDTV | Harman/Kardon 5.1 AV Receiver [AVR 1565] | Dolby TrueHD | DTS-MA HD | Polk Audio 5.1 Home Theater System w/10" SW
Woodstock

Re: Avatar, TLOEG: Unrippable Blu-ray Discs?...

Post by Woodstock »

Tried twice, received the same error.
And, since we don't have a clue what the error was, your question has no way of being answered in a useful way. I can think of a lot of other ways to answer it, but you're probably not into useless stuff.

Avatar BD has a number of "flavors" out there in the world, from the original to 3D versions. The fact that it worked in one player but not the other probably points to a drive issue. Given the model drive (I have several newer and older versions of that drive), I'd say the most likely cause is that Windows has lost touch with the drive. I'd suggest shutting down (as in power-off shutdown) the machine, the boot it up again and try the rip.

If you can enable debug logging (FAQ in my signature explains how), we would need to see what error messages you are getting. You can post the section of the log with the errors within the body of a reply here (limit a bit less than 60K characters).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ShardDragoon

Post by ShardDragoon »

Some older discs that should work fine, indeed an error log would be needed if you are having an error displayed. If it's anything like my experience with 1.9.3 though you may want to downgrade and try 1.9.2 as my first two attempts with U.S. release titles John Wick and X-Men Origins were a failure using the Backup Disc option and simply stopped ripping at BDJO files.. no error and I was forced to go back to 1.9.2 to rip them.

/download/Setup_MakeMKV_v1.9.2.exe
MZAdotcom

Post by MZAdotcom »

Thank you both Woodstock and ShardDragoon for your replies/help.

I tried to include a screenshot and the debugging log several times with my original post. Every time I tried to attach a file, got an error up top on the page in red saying "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." It's giving me the same message now as I try to attach another screenshot.

Even if it was working, I can't include the debug logs anymore since I no longer have the discs of said movies to reproduce the problem(s). They were US Netflix blu-ray discs, by the way.

Woodstock: I know most BRD's have different versions: Retail, Deluxe, Rental, 3D, etc. Always hoping for the retail version from Netflix :twisted: . In the case of both Avatar and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I lucked out. Both were the retail versions, not Netflix rental discs. As far as my disc drive is concerned, it's working on all fronts on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system. Have never had a problem with 99% of CD/DVD/BRD media. F/W is the latest @ 1.03. Trying to attach a screenshot of it's info according to MakeMKV. Great idea about a system reboot to clear out any hiccups. Will have to remember that in the future. So many times and often than not, seems a simple reboot solves a lot of problems when it comes to technology.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=22B056E6 ... 212029&v=3

One note: You'll notice that in the screenshot above where it says "Firmware date" on the right side, apparently it's from the future as it gives "2114-03-26" for the date = :!: :?: :!:

ShardDragoon: Thank you for posting the download link, but that's for ver1.9.3, not ver1.9.2. I've come across having to install an older version of a program for it to "just work again" with several pieces of software. Hopefully it won't be necessary in my case. But if push comes to shove, will do just that.

Since I can't seem to upload a file here, here's a link for the 1st screenshot:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=22B056E6 ... 212030&v=3

If you guys need to know anything else, please let me know. Cheers.
@HTPC: Intel NUC HTPC [BOXDN2820FYKH0] | Plextor 128GB SIII SSD | G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | Win 10 Pro | SAMSUNG 55" LED HDTV | Harman/Kardon 5.1 AV Receiver [AVR 1565] | Dolby TrueHD | DTS-MA HD | Polk Audio 5.1 Home Theater System w/10" SW
MZAdotcom

Post by MZAdotcom »

It's been several days since I updated my last post, but it's not showing up here.

Anyways, ShardDragoon: Turns out the problem was with the latest version, 1.9.3. Reverted back to ver1.9.2 and everything's good again. No more ripping issues :D .
MZAdotcom

Post by MZAdotcom »

Quick update: Upgraded to ver1.9.4 today from 1.9.2. Successfully ripped "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" retail BRD, which ver1.9.3 was not able to copy. So all's back to normal :D . Appears ver1.9.3 was the problem.

Cheers.