Blu ray Audio: Nirvana Nevermind backup locks up makeMKV

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mbelanger

Blu ray Audio: Nirvana Nevermind backup locks up makeMKV

Post by mbelanger »

Greetings,

Long-time user, first time poster. I've generally used makeMKV to rip Blu ray movies and it's been 100% solid. I love it.

However, I'm trying to extract the audio from a Blu ray Audio disc of Nevermind by Nirvana. Doing a standard rip generates a single m4v doesn't help, but I found a post from someone who wrote that one could use makeMKV to do a Backup, while removing the copy protection and then point DVD Audio Extractor at the backup to convert to FLAC or the like.

Running makeMKV 1.9.3 on a MBP running 10.10.3, I start a backup and saving it to Desktop. Upon starting, it immediately generates a folder with 3.7M of data within it. After running for a couple of hours, with no change in size, I stopped the process. Unfortunately, the stop button just locked makeMKV up and I had to force kill it. I've tried a number of additional attempts and it appears to just lock-up every time. I enabled debug logs within makeMKV, but am not sure where they're written to.

Advice appreciated.

-MB
mike admin

Re: Blu ray Audio: Nirvana Nevermind backup locks up makeMKV

Post by mike admin »

mbelanger wrote:However, I'm trying to extract the audio from a Blu ray Audio disc of Nevermind by Nirvana. Doing a standard rip generates a single m4v doesn't help, but I found a post from someone who wrote that one could use makeMKV to do a Backup, while removing the copy protection and then point DVD Audio Extractor at the backup to convert to FLAC or the like.
One way to do it is to enable the expert mode, select FLAC profile. This way you will end up with MKV file that has useless video and expected FLAC audio track. Using mkvextract you can extract the audio as flac and delete the MKV file. Or, you can put proper chapter names in MakeMKV and then remove video track from MKV file with mkvmerge. You will end up with MKA file that has FLAC audio and proper chapter (song) names.
mbelanger wrote: Running makeMKV 1.9.3 on a MBP running 10.10.3, I start a backup and saving it to Desktop. Upon starting, it immediately generates a folder with 3.7M of data within it. After running for a couple of hours, with no change in size, I stopped the process. Unfortunately, the stop button just locked makeMKV up and I had to force kill it. I've tried a number of additional attempts and it appears to just lock-up every time. I enabled debug logs within makeMKV, but am not sure where they're written to.
First, please confirm whether this is a disc-specific issue. If indeed the program hangs only for this disc (or rather you have other blu-ray discs that do work), then please send some files from this disc. Use instructions from /faq/item/8/catid/6 . In addition (IMPORTANT!) please include two additional folders (all files inside) from this disc - AACS and CERTIFICATE.
mbelanger

Re: Blu ray Audio: Nirvana Nevermind backup locks up makeMKV

Post by mbelanger »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I wound up using PavtubeByteCopy to generate a massive FLAC and then split the tracks via Fission. Quite a bit of work, but it was my only Blu-Ray audio, so I was fine with it.

-MB