How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Cave Man

Re: How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by Cave Man » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Yes, the MVC track was ripped; however, the resulting file does not play properly on my Epson. I'm using a Mac so that software isn't an option for me.

I don't understand the mechanics of this process. Does the video software need to "pass-through" the video to the projector for decoding, similar to how digital optical/coax audio is passed-through to receivers that then decode the AC3/DTS digital audio? If that's the case, then I need to look for software that does "video pass-through", right?

adamin3D

Re: How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by adamin3D » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

For the sake of clarification — If I use MakeMKV to rip the 3D disc, including the MVC 3D track, I cannot simply rename the file with "half-sbs" for Plex to recognize it is a 3D movie, correct?

I have to:
1. "Back-up" 3D Blu-ray as a .m2ts file
2. Run it through BD3D2MK3D.7z to mux/create a side-by-side MKV
3. That will appear, in 2D, as 3840x1080 and only play in 3D on Plex if I add "half-sbs" to the file name.

If I just want 2D rips of 3D movies, i.e. the IMAX version of Black Panther, I can simply use the "Open Disc" feature to pull a 2D version.
My first test for this is Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I appreciate the feedback and clarification and for this thread existing. Finding clear, succinct answers has been difficult.