Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dcoke22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by dcoke22 »

The most recent versions of Plex server can recognize Dolby Vision in a MKV rip of a UHD. It then depends on the capabilities of the various clients to be able to do something with it.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

how does one use this exoplayer with kodi?

i.e. I followed the instructions here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... xml#p96166

I adb pushed playercorefactory.xml to my device, I moved it to Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

I force quit kodi and restarted it, but by DV MKVs still just come up in normal kodi player in HDR, should there be a difference?
eblackadder

Post by eblackadder »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:41 pm
how does one use this exoplayer with kodi?

i.e. I followed the instructions here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... xml#p96166

I adb pushed playercorefactory.xml to my device, I moved it to Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

I force quit kodi and restarted it, but by DV MKVs still just come up in normal kodi player in HDR, should there be a difference?
Do you keep the button pressed so that you get the option to use the external player?
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

ah, ok. thanks, learned something.

also, doesn't work with remote media (nas), must be locally attached (which makes sense I guess). and it behaves the same as plex. works fine for DV MP4s (from web) but doesn't quite work for DV MKVs on my Sony TV (triggers DV, but only displays in black and white, as if it was only playing the extension layer).
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

thetoad wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 am
ah, ok. thanks, learned something.

also, doesn't work with remote media (nas), must be locally attached (which makes sense I guess). and it behaves the same as plex. works fine for DV MP4s (from web) but doesn't quite work for DV MKVs on my Sony TV (triggers DV, but only displays in black and white, as if it was only playing the extension layer).
it works with remote media. you need to mount your storage through the shield, not through the Kodi app.
twitch

Post by twitch »

Hey guys,
i didnt spent attention to the DV thing but now that Plexbeta is able to stream DV i checked my older Rips..
Aquaman was ripped to early - but my Alita - Battle Angle should have DV right?!
Attachments
Bild_2020-11-19_175414.png
Bild_2020-11-19_175414.png (36.77 KiB) Viewed 19562 times
Sparky101

Post by Sparky101 »

twitch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 pm
Hey guys,
i didnt spent attention to the DV thing but now that Plexbeta is able to stream DV i checked my older Rips..
Aquaman was ripped to early - but my Alita - Battle Angle should have DV right?!
That will have the non-standard DV in MKV format Mike initially used in MakeMKV 1.15.1. You want to use at least 1.15.2 which then used the agreed standard approach.
Last edited by Sparky101 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
twitch

Post by twitch »

ok - then all my future rips will be fine - thank you!
saf001

Post by saf001 »

Hi,

First thanks for the thread. I've never really paid attention to HDR or Dolby Vision as my TV did not support it (early 4k LG). However, I do have a new set due today that does so have been busy reading through this.

All of my physical media has been backed up using makemkv. Based on what I have read through the first few pages the latest version of makemkv will automatically provide the dolby information. For earlier movies I extracted I need to redo using the latest. Correct?

I thought I used 1.15.3 for Back to the Future but my mediainfo returns something different. Could be the version Ubuntu uses (19.x) or I'm doing something wrong (probably) or I am not sure what I'm looking at. In any case I'm going back through my physical media, seeing what is dolby vision, and getting ready to extract again with 1.15.3.

Example of Back to the Future disk (I thought was dolby vision):
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
HDR_Format_Commercial : HDR10+
HDR_Format_Version : 1
HDR_Format_Compatibility : HDR10+ Profile B
Internet media type : video/H265
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

You need MediaInfo 20.09 to see the Dolby Vision information from MKV files made by MakeMKV, so that is your issue.
saf001

Post by saf001 »

Thanks. I thought that might be it but wasn't sure.

I only have 17 movies it looks like that have dolby vision support so not too bad but if I can save 12 - 17 hours of work that is always great :) Let me see why my Ubuntu didn't update or pull the latest version of mediainfo so I can check.

Thanks again, have a great day!

Edit 1: Ok, made it further through the thread and saw a few pages back that it was suggested if makemkv video shows (BL+FEL+RPU) then it should show up as dolby vision, good to go. That is what I see when I reopen the back to the future disk under the one title.

Edit 2: more homework. I couldn't update the Ubuntu version of mediainfo for some reason so I downloaded version 20.x on my windows PC and looked at Back to the Future disc. I'm going to test another copy to see what it shows.
Attachments
t11.JPG
t11.JPG (125.58 KiB) Viewed 19420 times
saf001

Post by saf001 »

Ha, I found it. Love this forum.

Just did a search after reading through this thread and on the Windows version it was suggested to use the 'tree' view. There it is now :)
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

eblackadder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:07 am
Sgt Hartman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 am
Hello Gents, download link for modified ExoPlayer for Kodi isn't working anymore, would it be possible to re-share it? Thanks!
I hope that it's allowed to reshare. All credits of this wonderful version goes to Yusesope. Here is a link
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/93b630 ... 206/137672

Enjoy it!
Late to the forum ! Transfer Expired any chance for reupload ?
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

Dinst wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:17 pm
mathias19 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:43 pm
When I click the link it states 'transfer expired'. Anyone know where I can get the latest modded exoplayer apk. Thanks!

https://mega.nz/file/AcpEAKbK#u6KQd-veK ... X4TA9HnRiw
scrouples

Post by scrouples »

Forgive me if I have missed something but I have read through this forum and am using the newest version of MakeMkv and am trying my best to test Dolby Vision working with Plex. I have ripped my disc copy of back to the future and can confirm I have ripped the proper title with chapters and choice of soundtrack.
When I open this file in a new makemkv window it shows it processed it properly. But I cannot get Plex to see this. I have a 2017 shield which I realize It will not support Dolby vision, but I have a 2018 LG OLED C series with Plex installed and pointing it at my server. It sees the files as 4K HDR and not Dolby vision. The LG software thinks it’s the newest version of Plex installed on the tv, so I’m not sure what to do there. I have the latest Plex media server as well. Should the file itself show as a Dolby vision file in my Plex media server library regardless of where I’m trying to play it? Or have I missed something in make makemkv?
Playing Netflix files in Dolby vision on my OLED look amazing.

Side note: I have downloaded the 5 Dolby vision test files and even those are showing as 4K HDR when attempting to the play them on my OLED.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if I missed this in the forum.