Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Floribraska

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by Floribraska »

FOTREXTDISC1.jpg
FOTREXTDISC1.jpg (98.64 KiB) Viewed 20287 times
Success!! I can't explain why it worked, but it worked.

What I can tell you...
  • This is FotR Extended Disc 1 where I could previously only get about 45% ripped with the naked disc.
  • It's covered with 3/4 inch wide black duct tape.
  • It looks terrible because it was an incremental process. I was able to grab 5GB more after first covering up all the transparent areas (title, etc.), but that wasn't enough. I imagine just covering the entire disc with a uniform covering might work.
  • I'm using a WH14NS40 disguised as a WH16NS60
So maybe it worked because I introduced some wobble/jitter due to an imbalance of weight distribution, or maybe it worked because I'm assisting the laser by preventing it from passing through parts of the disc. I don't know. But I have all 6 parts ripped now. It's time for some popcorn. :D
truthfulie

Post by truthfulie »

What would be the best way (as in most accurate, frame level if possible) to remove the black pause between discs before merging them into one file, without messing up the DV compatibility with Shield?
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

Cannikin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:35 am
Here's a thread of people complaining about frames being dropped in Plex since July on both AppleTV and Shield, so maybe we're not crazy: https://forums.plex.tv/t/playback-rando ... /609697/33
One person said they turned off the new player and it helped...I'll try that next. Not sure if the old player supports DV though?
I've been getting dropped frames on my Xbox One for a while now in Plex with all sorts of content. Very powerful PC on hardwired connection, no trascoding, tv matching native framerate. Really noticeable on pans. Verrrrrry irritating.
Obl918

Post by Obl918 »

marticus24 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 am
Obl918 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:28 pm
Anybody else getting MEDIUM ERRORS right out of the box on any of their discs?
Yes - multiple attempts on first disc of extended ed. of Fellowship. Gets to same spot then bombs with:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' at offset '381548544'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '381548544'

If this were a decryption issue, wouldn't the errors be different?
That's about the same exact area of the discs I start to get errors. I thought perhaps my drive is bad, so I ordered a new one. Now that I see someone else getting medium errors at the same spot on the disc, I wonder if there was just a bad batch.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Floribraska wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 am
FOTREXTDISC1.jpg

What I can tell you...
  • This is FotR Extended Disc 1 where I could previously only get about 45% ripped with the naked disc.
  • It looks terrible because it was an incremental process. I was able to grab 5GB more after first covering up all the transparent areas (title, etc.), but that wasn't enough. I imagine just covering the entire disc with a uniform covering might work.
So maybe it worked because I introduced some wobble/jitter due to an imbalance of weight distribution, or maybe it worked because I'm assisting the laser by preventing it from passing through parts of the disc. I don't know. But I have all 6 parts ripped now. It's time for some popcorn. :D
You're Nuts :lol: :lol: :lol: Well done though.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

That's probably a good way to destroy your disk and your drive. Maybe try this instead.
https://www.amazon.com/CD-Stomper-Pro-L ... B00002SA8D
Floribraska wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 am
FOTREXTDISC1.jpg

What I can tell you...
Cruzader1986

Post by Cruzader1986 »

agressiv wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm
If you want a single MKV for each extended movie with a flawless scene transition between discs, follow this guide. Be prepared to have a lot of scratch disk for this, preferably on NVMe SSD :)
  • Rip each extended disk to its own MKV, for example, LOTR1a.mkv and LOTR1b.mkv
  • Drag Disc 1 into MkvToolnix by itself
  • Go into the Output tab.
  • Change Split mode from Do not split to After frame/field numbers
  • Type in the large value in the list below for the "a" MKV and the smaller value for the "b" MKV
  • The destination file can be LOTR1a-clipped.mkv as an example.
  • When you click Start multiplexing, it will create two files - LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv and LOTR1a-clipped-002.mkv
  • Repeat for Disc 2.
  • You'll see that for the first disc, -002 will be just a couple of seconds of black, while for the second disc, -001 will be just a couple of seconds of black.
  • Create a new Multiplexer, and drag LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv to the list. Right click that video, and do Append files and click LOTR1b-clipped-002.mkv.
  • Make sure you don't touch the output section on this merge.
  • Click Start multiplexing and verify the output. Dolby Vision should be preserved as well.
Here are the values to plug in under the Output section for the US editions:

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46

If these don't line up for you, load each file into MPC-HC:
  • Go to the last visible frame and pause it. Use CTRL and left or right arrow keys until you get the last frame.
  • Hit CTRL-G. That will give you a popup of the current frame.
  • For Disc 1, you want the last visible frame before it goes black.
  • For Disc 2, you want the last black frame before it goes into a visible frame.
  • Verify by using CTRL-G and putting in that number as well as the number after it. CTRL-Arrow seeking isn't perfect.
I tried this and the result for Fellowship of the Ring is 111GB while the one with just append is 113GB. How could removing just around 6 seconds reduce the size by 2GB
iamlilysdad

Post by iamlilysdad »

I am trying to create .ts backups of these while maintaining Dolby Vision and TrueHD/Atmos.

Using the steps in https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=1305 I am not able to maintain TrueHD/Atmos. The audio track defaults to AC3 and does not playback in lossless Atmos.

Dolby Vision is maintained. Atmos is also maintained when I rip an MKV from the disc. I can playback the MKV using Plex on my SHIELD Pro without issues. I want .ts files for compatibility with other devices.

Has anyone else tried this and had success?

You can see the differences in the output files from tsmuxer after creating the .ts and the mkv created with makemkv (screenshot 101 is tsmuxer, screenshot 102 is the mkv created with makemkv). The audio track is taken from full disc backup. I also tried using eac3to to rip the audio track from the makemkv and remux it using tsmuxer. The results have been the same no matter what I try.
Attachments
Screenshot (102).png
Screenshot (102).png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 20199 times
Screenshot (101).png
Screenshot (101).png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 20199 times
makememe

Post by makememe »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:01 pm
NickNickNick wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 am
Is each extended movie around 200Gbs merged?
With the files stored on NTFS I have:
Fellowship of the ring - 113GB
Two towers - 107GB
Return of the king - 126GB
has anyone noticed a difference in output file size between ns40 to ns60? I used both drives because some extended lotr discs would not work on my new primary, ns60. oddly enough, ns60 did not fail to backup all three theatrical lotr. anyway, I got one disc to work on both ns40 and ns60, rotk pt2. I tried because of the noted post, my file sizes are different, slightly. so the rotk p2 ext from ns60, 67.8GB; from ns40 86.8GB (it is the same disc). wtf.

these are my lotr ext sizes regardless drive used, i.e., that completed successfully: fotr/136GB (56 + 80), tt/132GB (55GB + 77GB), and rotk/169GB (83 + 86)

could this be a firmware issue with the ns40? ver 1.02. 2017 10 12.

recommendations and/or condolences are welcome

Thanks.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

iamlilysdad wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:28 pm
I am trying to create .ts backups of these while maintaining Dolby Vision and TrueHD/Atmos.

Using the steps in https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=1305 I am not able to maintain TrueHD/Atmos. The audio track defaults to AC3 and does not playback in lossless Atmos.

Dolby Vision is maintained. Atmos is also maintained when I rip an MKV from the disc. I can playback the MKV using Plex on my SHIELD Pro without issues. I want .ts files for compatibility with other devices.

You can see the differences in the output files from tsmuxer after creating the .ts and the mkv created with makemkv (screenshot 101 is tsmuxer, screenshot 102 is the mkv created with makemkv). The audio track is taken from full disc backup. I also tried using eac3to to rip the audio track from the makemkv and remux it using tsmuxer. The results have been the same no matter what I try.
Have you tried selecting a different audio track with your TS files in Plex? The AC3 core will be defaulted to, yes, but you should be able to select the TrueHD track as well. It's obviously in there according to the mediainfo.
iamlilysdad

Post by iamlilysdad »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm
iamlilysdad wrote:

Have you tried selecting a different audio track with your TS files in Plex? The AC3 core will be defaulted to, yes, but you should be able to select the TrueHD track as well. It's obviously in there according to the mediainfo.
There is only one audio track in the file.

I did do some more testing with tsmuxer, eac3to, etc. I also did another full backup of the disc. I noticed that mediainfo shows the same exact info for the audio track of the stream from the full disc backup.

This is the mediainfo output for the file from the disc backup:

Audio #1
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 131
Duration : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 448 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 4 992 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 339 MiB (0%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects : 11
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE
Attachments
Screenshot (103).png
Screenshot (103).png (15.91 KiB) Viewed 20109 times
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Cannikin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:09 am
So if I turn on "Match Frame Rate" (on the Shield itself) then Plex starts transcoding both the video and audio and I loose DV and DA (reason is listed as "Direct Play was attempted but failed, fallen back to transcoding"). :( But from a quick test it did seem to run perfectly smooth...which seems like the opposite from what I'd expect! Transcoding is playing back faster/smoother than Direct Play??

I also tried turning on "Refresh Rate Switching" in Plex itself and it did the same thing: transcode audio and video, but smooth picture. The scene I'm testing is at 2:39:30 when the camera is panning over the bodies of the dwarves. The slow pans make it really apparent.

I tried Gemini Man again and there wasn't any skipping/stuttering to my eyes, but then I realized maybe skipping a single frame at 60fps just isn't as noticeable as skipping a frame at 24fps, and it's actually still happening? I'll have to try on some other 4K stuff and see if I notice it anywhere else.
After some more testing it may be isolated to just Dolby Vision playback...every once in a while when a DV movie starts in Plex it triggers HDR only. I just caught one of those instances and it's perfectly smooth. Triggering a transcode also displayed only HDR, and it was smooth then, as well.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Obl918

Post by Obl918 »

Obl918 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm
That's about the same exact area of the discs I start to get errors. I thought perhaps my drive is bad, so I ordered a new one. Now that I see someone else getting medium errors at the same spot on the disc, I wonder if there was just a bad batch.
At first I couldn't get past a few hundred megs of the rip. I decided to play it in VLC (using MakeMKV for decryption) to see exactly where it stopped reading, so I could try it on my home theater player to see if it would fail there, too. Surprisingly, it played for 15 minutes with no problems. So I decided to go back to MakeMKV, set the IO retry to 99, and tried again. Eventually it worked, after having to restart it a few more times.

I can only assume the disc is poorly pressed. I don't have any confidence in their longevity. But at least I finally got the rip done.
Hey_Its_me

Post by Hey_Its_me »

The Two Towers disc 2 freezes at about 21GB. The drive just stops reading. I have an LG WH16NS40 drive in an external case.
I have tried power cycling the drive, and trying a different disc (that will read fine)

I'm going to follow the suggestion of changing IO reads to see if that will work.

The disc looks to be clean, except for a minute scratch.

Edit: Sadly. this failed. The disc may be defective. Getting read errors. Should I send the log file?
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm
iamlilysdad wrote:

Mkv does not store thd+core as an interleaved thd track. It stores a thd track and if you select it it will store the core as an ac3 track.

Tsmuxer doesn’t recognise THD tracks without a core.
You have to re-interleave the thd and ac3 tracks or create a full decrypted disk backup with MakeMKV and import the correct mpls file from this into tsmuxer or use eac3to to extract the interleaved thd track with core for import into tsmuxer.