Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MastaG

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MastaG »

pete19 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm
@jcdr428:

I used latest tsmuxer w64-nightly-2020-11-17--01-21-46 and muxed the first 3 mins of a UHD DV disc folder rip to a BMV folder and a m2ts file. Selected the BL + EL, Dolby Atmos audio and then muxed.

When playing back on LG CX via Oppo, DV and Dolby Atmos are triggered correctly on both muxed versions, but the muxed versions are always a little bit darker than the original disc.

Is this a known limitation or is there a setting that I'm missing ?

I took screenshot comparisons and also switched the order of the versions when played back to ensure it's not the LG dimming. Every time the muxed versions are a little bit darker.

Looking at mediainfo, the only difference I can see is in the HDR FORMAT tag of the EL of the m2ts mux:

original disc:
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed BDM folder
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed m2ts
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Thx
Perhaps try to mux the BL + EL to a single .mp4 file with Dolby's mp4muxer.
Then in TSMuxer use the mp4 instead of the BL + EL.
daddy

Post by daddy »

4knewbie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 pm
0:4 refers to the desired audio right ?
Yes, here 0:4 is for the desired audio language

i suggest you to to read my first post where i tryed to explain how to find the list of m2ts composing a movie, and how to find the map numbers for a audio language : https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 820#p76820
RayDawGGG

Post by RayDawGGG »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:34 am
RayDawGGG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 am
This is odd.. Does the Dolby Vision logo matter? I am able to play my SL DV(7.06) mkvs through the plex app on the shield pro (2019). The DV logo shows.. it plays fine except I noticed color issues playing Lord of the rings - Two Towers, Joker and Gemini man. My plex server is on my WIN 10 PC. My LG CX also has a plex app. While these mkvs don't play through the USB on the CX, they do play via my server to the plex app on the CX. Although the HDR logo shows on the CX plex app while playing these mkvs, they seem to be actually playing in DV. The colors are correct and the detail is definitely different than the HDR versions. In a blind test without the logos, how could you tell the difference.. your eyes. It could be that whatever is supposed to trigger the DV flag in these mkvs confuses the CX plex app and it shows the HDR logo instead of the DV logo(a possibility). Just because the flag does not show as DV, does that mean it is not DV? We know Mike and Yuescope's tools work, and it could be a coding thing that's causing this mishap on the CX. Do we really need the logo to verify DV? I've re-watched the Joker and Gemini Man SL DV's and they look 100% better this way vs the shield plex app wit screwy colors. Can someone with a CX try this method versus the shield 2019 and see if they agree or disagree?
Well if there's no logo, then the TV is not in DV mode; there's really no way around it. The WebOS plex app has no support for DV in MKVs so its defaulting to the HDR10 layer on playback. I would go back and double check the picture mode you're in during HDR & DV playback from the Shield and the same for playback from TV apps. I have it set to Cinema for everything and HDR looks the same to me on both the Shield and TV apps.
Thanks for replying. DV is HDR with dynamic metadata. I was inquiring about the possibility of these mkvs being mistakenly recognized as HDR(because of the base layer) by the plex app, yet because they are reverse engineered DV mkvs they somehow still use the DV decoder for playback. The CX plex app plays the DV Mandalorian mp4's in DV, so the app has the capability of playing DV.(MKV and MP4 are just containers) HDR looks the same to me on both as well, it's just the DV that looks different on the shield vs the CX apps.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RayDawGGG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:16 pm
Thanks for replying. DV is HDR with dynamic metadata. I was inquiring about the possibility of these mkvs being mistakenly recognized as HDR(because of the base layer) by the plex app, yet because they are reverse engineered DV mkvs they somehow still use the DV decoder for playback. The CX plex app plays the DV Mandalorian mp4's in DV, so the app has the capability of playing DV.(MKV and MP4 are just containers) HDR looks the same to me on both as well, it's just the DV that looks different on the shield vs the CX apps.
If the DV decoder is used for playback, then DV will be triggered by the TV. The WebOS Plex app supports DV, sure, but that doesn't mean it supports it for all containers. It knows where to look for the DV headers in mp4 and m2ts files, so when it encounters one of such files, it will know to use the DV decoder and trigger DV accordingly. The DV standard in mkv is relatively new, and only the Android version of the app knows how to handle it. The WebOS Plex app does not yet know DV headers in mkvs exist so it's not looking for it. When the app encounters an mkv with dv, it will ignore the dv info because it simply doesn't know it exists. It is then not sent to the DV decoder and only HDR is triggered.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

RayDawGGG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:16 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:34 am
RayDawGGG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 am
This is odd.. Does the Dolby Vision logo matter? I am able to play my SL DV(7.06) mkvs through the plex app on the shield pro (2019). The DV logo shows.. it plays fine except I noticed color issues playing Lord of the rings - Two Towers, Joker and Gemini man. My plex server is on my WIN 10 PC. My LG CX also has a plex app. While these mkvs don't play through the USB on the CX, they do play via my server to the plex app on the CX. Although the HDR logo shows on the CX plex app while playing these mkvs, they seem to be actually playing in DV. The colors are correct and the detail is definitely different than the HDR versions. In a blind test without the logos, how could you tell the difference.. your eyes. It could be that whatever is supposed to trigger the DV flag in these mkvs confuses the CX plex app and it shows the HDR logo instead of the DV logo(a possibility). Just because the flag does not show as DV, does that mean it is not DV? We know Mike and Yuescope's tools work, and it could be a coding thing that's causing this mishap on the CX. Do we really need the logo to verify DV? I've re-watched the Joker and Gemini Man SL DV's and they look 100% better this way vs the shield plex app wit screwy colors. Can someone with a CX try this method versus the shield 2019 and see if they agree or disagree?
Well if there's no logo, then the TV is not in DV mode; there's really no way around it. The WebOS plex app has no support for DV in MKVs so its defaulting to the HDR10 layer on playback. I would go back and double check the picture mode you're in during HDR & DV playback from the Shield and the same for playback from TV apps. I have it set to Cinema for everything and HDR looks the same to me on both the Shield and TV apps.
ive been thinking this over and it makes sense...
Your CX is internally processing HDR via its app correctly, correct colours, correct tone map and as such it looks good.
Dolby Vision from the shield is being processed by the shield (player led LLDV) and as such looks a little darker, you also have the incorrect color to deal with.
For some reason the LG’s even though they can do TV led processing of Dolby Vision, request player led by default.
If you have an Oppo or Oppo clone you can force TV led processing (RGB 8 bit tunnelling) and it looks brighter than selecting player led ( 12 bit LLDV).
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 pm
Your CX is internally processing HDR via its app correctly, correct colours, correct tone map and as such it looks good.
Dolby Vision from the shield is being processed by the shield (player led LLDV) and as such looks a little darker, you also have the incorrect color to deal with.
For some reason the LG’s even though they can do TV led processing of Dolby Vision, request player led by default.
If you have an Oppo or Oppo clone you can force TV led processing (RGB 8 bit tunnelling) and it looks brighter than selecting player led ( 12 bit LLDV).
Not sure where you're getting this from, but LG's do not force the Shield to default to LLDV. At least on my B9, RGB tunneling is the default DV mode. Unless this changed in the new X-generation of TV's, you can only get LLDV from the Shield into an LG Oled via HDFury EDID spoofing.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

PlatypusW wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am
I believe the furtherest we have got with the seeking issue, is that it is somehow related to the length of the file.
I'm not sure of that anymore ...
The Lord of the rings trilogy all failed to FF/RW.
same for the first 2 Hobbit.

but somehow the Hobbit 3 has no issue with FF/RW even though it's a 2h40 movie. I'm sure I had issues with title shorter than that.
PlatypusW wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Out of interest, I guess FF/RW is the only way to shift through a title? Can't manually put in a timecode to jump to etc? Obviously chapters are a no go in .ts files.
i don't see any other way to shift through a title.

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Not sure where you're getting this from, but LG's do not force the Shield to default to LLDV. At least on my B9, RGB tunneling is the default DV mode. Unless this changed in the new X-generation of TV's, you can only get LLDV from the Shield into an LG Oled via HDFury EDID spoofing.
Same for the LG C8. The only way I can force LLDV is with the hdfury otherwise I get the default RGB DV. I would be very surprised if that changed for the CX models.
But LLDV shouldn't be darker or different if the player can properly decode/tonemap DV in the first place. I'm sure the x700 lldv would be identical to RGB on my TV.
Exovitae

Post by Exovitae »

Question for the guys who own LG OLEDs and Shield 2019. Do this new mkv Dolby Vision movies played with the shield looks as good as a dual layer DV mp4 remuxes played with the LGs internal TV app, are they equally bright and the lumination of highlights the same?
And what are the color problems with the Shield on DV movies?
Im frustrated that my recently bought M9702 Oppo clone its not as bright and good as my TVs internal player.
Changing the settings from Auto/Player led to TV led makes a big difference and some movies are as good as the playback from the internal players but there is still a difference in brightness for some movies and scenes and this pisses me off.
I ran BDMV full Blu Ray directory from the Oppo clone and mp4 remuxes from the internal player, run the same movies and changing from source to source and compare the same scenes.
Even HDR 10 movies looks better on the internal player of the TV, i own a B9.

P.S. do you have to install some patches to run this new Dolby Vision mkv files with Kodi on the Shield?

Thanks!
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Exovitae wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:31 am
I ran BDMV full Blu Ray directory from the Oppo clone and mp4 remuxes from the internal player, run the same movies and changing from source to source and compare the same scenes.

P.S. do you have to install some patches to run this new Dolby Vision mkv files with Kodi on the Shield?

Thanks!
I would go back and double check what picture mode your internal player is on when playing DV and then do the same for your oppo clone. Make sure they are both on the same mode before doing comparisons.
Exovitae

Post by Exovitae »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:49 am
Exovitae wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:31 am

Thanks!
I would go back and double check what picture mode your internal player is on when playing DV and then do the same for your oppo clone. Make sure they are both on the same mode before doing comparisons.
A man picky as me who is pissed of that his new expensive player isn't as good his TVs internal player wouldn't do a mistake like that, picture modes and settings are for both sources exactly the same!
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

shawnc22 wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Hi, I got this from guy called Mark Swift on the AVS / Zidoo forum who has a HD fury device and during bug testing on behalf of Zidoo he has loaded my LG C9 edid and found this to be the case with the Zidoo Z9X and the shield that unless the player specifically asks for TV led processing the LG defaults to player led, I don’t totally understand why but it does he says it is higher in the table??? I always thought this not to be the case, if I leave my Oppo on auto it defaults to player led with the C9 (but defaults to tv led with my C7, you can notice the slightly darker curve).
It would be great if someone else with one of these devices could also verify this.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 am
shawnc22 wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Hi, I got this from guy called Mark Swift on the AVS / Zidoo forum who has a HD fury device and during bug testing on behalf of Zidoo he has loaded my LG C9 edid and found this to be the case with the Zidoo Z9X and the shield that unless the player specifically asks for TV led processing the LG defaults to player led, I don’t totally understand why but it does he says it is higher in the table??? I always thought this not to be the case, if I leave my Oppo on auto it defaults to player led with the C9 (but defaults to tv led with my C7, you can notice the slightly darker curve).
It would be great if someone else with one of these devices could also verify this.
the spears and munsil people said this months ago, if your tv doesn't need player led, default your oppo to tv led. Especially on the LGs
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 am
I don't know about the methods that was used in that HDFury test, but I think I'd trust the results of what my TV is saying over anything else. If you look at the HDMI diagnostics menu of an LG Oled during DV playback from the Shield, you can see that it's being sent an RGB 8Bit signal. Many users here have done that and confirmed it. I can further confirm it through checking the menus on my Denon AVR. In fact, this was how it was discovered here that the Shield was tacking on BT2020 to the RGB signal that was causing some of the red push issues. Removing it in the latest Shield firmware didn't solve it completely, but I believe it did help with streaming DV content.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes. And I've confirmed that on my c8 with my integral 2. It's definitely sending rgb dv from the shield.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:35 pm

I'm not sure of that anymore ...
The Lord of the rings trilogy all failed to FF/RW.
same for the first 2 Hobbit.

but somehow the Hobbit 3 has no issue with FF/RW even though it's a 2h40 movie. I'm sure I had issues with title shorter than that.
I think it’s ultimately going to come down to the ts container. It’s seeking capabilities are different to other containers. I don’t know much about it (yet) but by the looks of it a few different players have had trouble with ts files over the years.

My guess, at least until I can get my hands on a player to try, is that it isn’t to do with file length but actually to do with bit rate or possibly max file size?

At least in the hobbit/Lotr case, the last hobbit is the smallest file size / bit rate of the 6 titles / 9 disks.

If that is the problem that will be a shame as it won’t be anything we can do about it, was hoping it would be something ‘fixable’ with the file at least :cry:

I guess bitrate vs file size could be easy to try as it might be possible to find a section of a title that can’t be seeked even if it’s only a minute or so long file. Probably where I’ll start when I encounter it at least.