Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bostoneddie

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by bostoneddie »

Thanks guys. To clarify one point: I'm using the Shield directly to the C9 and then optical out to a 5.1 system in our living room. For our "true" home theater I have a non-DV display so it doesn't matter, and I don't have to transcode the audio there bc I'm using a receiver. Just trying to get it to work on the DV display in the living room, where I do have to transcode.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

bostoneddie wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:37 am
Thanks guys. To clarify one point: I'm using the Shield directly to the C9 and then optical out to a 5.1 system in our living room. For our "true" home theater I have a non-DV display so it doesn't matter, and I don't have to transcode the audio there bc I'm using a receiver. Just trying to get it to work on the DV display in the living room, where I do have to transcode.
Yeah, you're still going to have the same issues with optical (can't transport lossless audio over it). Just leave in the ac3 core when you make your rips, you're not saving that much space by leaving it out anyways. You don't want to be doing any kind of transcoding with 4k videos.
bostoneddie

Post by bostoneddie »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:42 am
bostoneddie wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:37 am
Yeah, you're still going to have the same issues with optical (can't transport lossless audio over it). Just leave in the ac3 core when you make your rips, you're not saving that much space by leaving it out anyways. You don't want to be doing any kind of transcoding with 4k videos.
Makes sense. Thanks!
hansooloo

Post by hansooloo »

Trying to create an MKV file that will play on Infuse on Apple TV 4K via NAS NFS mount (no transcoding). Input is Lord of the Rings 4K UHD with Dolby Vision BDMV folder structure.

I can see that there is video stream 0:0 which is a 4K stream, and 0:1 that is a 1080p (guessing this is the DV enhancement bit).

From what I can gather, Apple TV 4K needs a single layer video track to be able to output DV. My LG CX should be able to display the DV logo when it detects this stream.

Looking at the original post, I am ripping the folder with MakeMKV and selecting the main title. However, the resultant MKV file does not trigger DV logo on my TV.

How should I rip the BD content to get proper DV through my Apple TV 4K to the LG CX ??
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

hansooloo wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 pm
How should I rip the BD content to get proper DV through my Apple TV 4K to the LG CX ??
Apple TV 4K can only play profile 5 Dolby Vision, which is the profile generally used for streaming, like Netflix or movies from iTunes.

DV from a UHD is profile 7. Apple TV 4K can not play profile 7 DV.
hansooloo

Post by hansooloo »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:09 pm
hansooloo wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 pm
Apple TV 4K can only play profile 5 Dolby Vision, which is the profile generally used for streaming, like Netflix or movies from iTunes.

DV from a UHD is profile 7. Apple TV 4K can not play profile 7 DV.
Is it a matter of processing the raw files in a specific way or completely impossible? I read about using tsMuxeR and ffmpeg to extract the streams and re-combine them .. but can't seem to setup the toolchain right.
rodrigo081089

Post by rodrigo081089 »

How can I check if the remux has dv?
agneva

Post by agneva »

@hansooloo I created:
232.png
232.png (78.27 KiB) Viewed 15730 times
DV SL and played it on the LG CX media player.

LotR has an empty EL (called MEL), so no need to create a DL Stream.
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

agneva wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:39 am
@hansooloo I created:
232.png
DV SL and played it on the LG CX media player.

LotR has an empty EL (called MEL), so no need to create a DL Stream.
Can you maybe describe the steps you took to make this profile 5 variant? What tools did you use? Thanks!
agneva

Post by agneva »

Just the ape :lol:
ChickenFinger

Post by ChickenFinger »

A bit confused with the replies above.
I'm having the same issue as bostoneddie. Dolby Vision only plays on a spiderman far from home rip if I use AC3. Trying to use atmos gives me a direct playback error (which then transcodes the audio and reverts to regular hdr). This is confirmed a problem with plex/shield correct?
Unlike bostoneddie I'm running the shield into a fully compatible AVR which is outputting to an LG CX. Everything else has worked fine (yes vision/"atmos" in the disney+ app works).
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ChickenFinger wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 am
A bit confused with the replies above.
I'm having the same issue as bostoneddie. Dolby Vision only plays on a spiderman far from home rip if I use AC3. Trying to use atmos gives me a direct playback error (which then transcodes the audio and reverts to regular hdr). This is confirmed a problem with plex/shield correct?
Unlike bostoneddie I'm running the shield into a fully compatible AVR which is outputting to an LG CX. Everything else has worked fine (yes vision/"atmos" in the disney+ app works).
No I've never ran into that issue. When the DV decoder crashes for me, Plex would simply return an error message; I've never seen it start transcoding the audio and revert to HDR. Which AVR is your Shield going into? A couple things to troubleshoot:

*Play a non DV title with Atmos in Plex and see if that exhibits the same behavior.
*Play a DV title in Kodi with Atmos and see if Atmos is triggered. It won't trigger DV, but it will to help to determine if the issue is with Plex.
ChickenFinger

Post by ChickenFinger »

My entire library has worked perfectly with plex including all of the hdr/atmos titles I've ripped before the DV update so there is no problem there. Doubt it's the AVR either, its an RXA1060. Don't have kodi and never had a need for it.

I was able to get it to play in Vision/Atmos by switching between AC3 and TrueHD a couple times, it just always defaults to HDR/atmos or Vision/AC3 when I start the movie. Seems like a bug.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

ChickenFinger wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 am
Yes, this is my experience too.

Shield 2019 Pro into an Anthem AM 60 into an LG 55UH770T - I have to run the Shield at 29.976Hz to enable DV because my TV maxes out its DV support at 30Hz, but otherwise the playback chain fully supports all HD audio codecs.

Atmos/TrueHD films seem to cause the most failures in the DV decoder, IME.
chiavere

Post by chiavere »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:16 am
You need a Shield to get DV playback from an MKV.
Hi - I took this advice, and bought an Nvidia Shield, enabled DV on it, and played my DV extracted MKV using the shield Plex app, and am still only getting HDR playback - any ideas? The metadata for the MKV file has DV listed as “true.”