Random skip during playback of some rips

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dlaunde

Random skip during playback of some rips

Post by dlaunde »

Hey all,

I rip all my UHD's so I can play them back with my Oppo over Gigabit network (the Synology hosting them and the Oppo are only a few ft apart, so never have bandwidth issues).

However, having just ripped The Hobbit and LotR trilogies, I have run into an instance so far during playback of An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug (have not made it to Five Armies or any LotR's yet);

- About halfway through An Unexpected Journey the movie froze. Rewinding a few seconds didn't fix it, as it froze again in the same spot. But Fast Forwarding a few seconds past the scene and it was fine the rest of the movie (no lip sync issues).
- About a third of the way through Desolation, the movie skipped for a second, than continued playing normally.

As no read errors were reported during ripping, my question is: what causes a ripped movie sans any read errors during copy to have such issues that aren't related to bandwidth/streaming problems? Can an error still be introduced during rip even though the software doesn't report issues?
shawnc22

Re: Random skip during playback of some rips

Post by shawnc22 »

dlaunde wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 am
As no read errors were reported during ripping, my question is: what causes a ripped movie sans any read errors during copy to have such issues that aren't related to bandwidth/streaming problems? Can an error still be introduced during rip even though the software doesn't report issues?
Sure, I've had a disc that reported no read errors when making a decrypted copy, but had errors when I subsequently worked with the individual streams. If you suspect that there's an issue with the rip, extract the video/audio streams with ffmpeg or eac3to and see if any errors pop up.