Feature Request - Naming Tracks

Everything related to MakeMKV
lloydsmart

Feature Request - Naming Tracks

Post by lloydsmart »

Hello. I just had an idea for a feature and thought I'd throw it out there to see what you think.

It would be nice if we could use matroska's track-naming when ripping disks for example to label commentary tracks. Currently, I do this by ripping a disk with MakeMKV, then loading it into MKVmergeGUI, naming the track and remuxing. Quite annoying for large BD rips. Is there any chance we could see a way to name the track when we're choosing them in MakeMKV, so that once the title is ripped, the tracks are all named and ready to go? This would be very handy. Of course, it would be optional.

Track naming is handy when playing back in VLC and XBMC (and probably other programs I haven't used yet), so you can choose a track by name, not just how many channels it has or what language it is. It is also handy for labelling subtitle tracks. For example, I might have three English subtitle tracks in one MKV - one standard, one "for the hard of hearing" and one for the commentary.

Any chance? :mrgreen:
trondmm

Re: Feature Request - Naming Tracks

Post by trondmm »

I would love to see this feature as well. I'd also like to have the ability to name chapters.

BTW: You don't need to remux the file, you can use mkvpropedit to set the names of the tracks. It's a command line tool, but if that doesn't scare you, you'll save a lot of time compared to remuxing.
Tjlostbob

Post by Tjlostbob »

I'd like to see that feature too.

If you want to avoid the command line, startup mkvmerge GUI, go to the File-menu and start the Head-Editor. Open mkv, label the tracks, save..shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
rcpinheiro

Post by rcpinheiro »

I agree, that's a feature I'd like to see, specially for chapters.
Dissassembling a MKV, changing chapter names and assembling it again is not pratical.
enforcer

Post by enforcer »

I would also like this feature.
It's surprising that such a good software is missing something so obvious, imho.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

rcpinheiro wrote:I agree, that's a feature I'd like to see, specially for chapters.
Dissassembling a MKV, changing chapter names and assembling it again is not pratical.
You don't have to remux to name the chapters:

Open mkvmergeGUI > click the chapters tab > drag the file into the Chapters field (for large files, it might take a couple of minutes to open). After you rename the chapters, click Chapter Editor > Save to Matroska file (again this can take a couple of minutes).

BTW: There is also a free utility called "ChapterGrabber" which you can use to search an online database for chapter names. It doesn't work with every movie, but it works great when it does. After you use it to create the chapter file (there's an option to output as Matroska XML), use mkvmerge to save it to the mkv you created with MakeMKV.
apdso9

Post by apdso9 »

I also would like this feature.
Today I rip my blurays and then name all the Tracks and put it in the right order mit mkvtoolnix.
That takes minimum 19 Minutes with an extra external drive for saving.
I use a mac