Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
staknhalo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by staknhalo »

sofakng wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:58 am
What's the thought on replacing P7 FEL with P5 from different sources?
For what purpose? You can already go FEL>MEL/p8 and do that. Don't see any reason to do what you're asking here from a practical standpoint.
sofakng wrote:
There are also the UHD movies with only HDR10 but their streaming versions have Dolby Vision. They can be remuxed with the UHD + P5 (from the different sources again) ?
Dovi Tool can already do this, mode 3, dunno the workflow for resets tool/gui.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

sofakng wrote:
There are also the UHD movies with only HDR10 but their streaming versions have Dolby Vision. They can be remuxed with the UHD + P5 (from the different sources again) ?
Yes it can be done. You will get unofficial MEL.
sergonnn111

Post by sergonnn111 »

what is the better version of tsmuxer nightly for dolby vision from mkv files dolby vision to ts file dolby vision , newest versions of ts muxer nightly it seems don t work
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

sw5163 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:07 am
Is there a large difference between MEL and FEL?

I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the hassle of finding a P7 FEL player. If I can convert P7 MEL to P8 then it opens a much larger set of players, etc.
Amused

Post by Amused »

sofakng wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:45 pm
sw5163 wrote:

I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the hassle of finding a P7 FEL player. If I can convert P7 MEL to P8 then it opens a much larger set of players, etc.
To be honest with you, I completely abandoned my Zidoo Z1000 Pro player (which plays it all hassle free by the way) since member @RESET_9999 basically taught me how to utilize the “dual track-dual layer” files with my Sony X700 UHD player, using his fantastic DoVi Scripts (the link can be found in his signature).. I can tell you straight away - there is no comparison. The image produced by the Sony player from a Profile 7 FEL DV file is by far superior to the one produced by the Zidoo player (which cannot utilize the full fat DoVi) - the richness of colors, the absence of any color banding, the depth of the image, etc. - all far superior, basically no difference compared to a Dolby Vision UHD disc. BTW, I am ripping the movies to a full Blu Ray folder in order to be able to use FF/RW and chapters within a movie.
UHD players: Sony X700, Zidoo Z1000 Pro
Audio system: Sony HT-A9
TV: Sony 77A80J
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

Amused wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 pm
the richness of colors
Could it be Zidoo player didn't do it right?
I thought the difference between proper 10bit 4:2:0 and 12bit 4:2:2 should be minor.
I don't think I can perceive banding on 10bit without side by side comparison on a flagship TV such as A95K or C2.
Could you please compare FEL and MEL from same source on x700? Thanks!
Amused

Post by Amused »

sw5163 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm
Amused wrote:
the richness of colors
Could it be Zidoo player didn't do it right?
I thought the difference between proper 10bit 4:2:0 and 12bit 4:2:2 should be minor.
I don't think I can perceive banding on 10bit without side by side comparison on a flagship TV such as A95K or C2.
Could you please compare FEL and MEL from same source on x700? Thanks!
All is fine with the Zidoo.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

Amused wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm
Sorry I mean could Zidoo has some video processing that is different from x700?
For example if they both handle decoded video directly to TV, zidoo and x700 should look same for same MEL file.
Amused

Post by Amused »

sw5163 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:24 pm
Amused wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm
Sorry I mean could Zidoo has some video processing that is different from x700?
For example if they both handle decoded video directly to TV, zidoo and x700 should look same for same MEL file.
Well, they should. But the colors are punchier and more vibrant on the Sony and the depth is more pronounced, leading to greater fidelity. Motion handling is better too. Probably has to do with the chip differences, as well as some inbuilt processing stuff. Just guessing.
Oleg_NYC

Post by Oleg_NYC »

I wish someone would answer my question. If I have a profile 8 DV video and use "mp4muxer --dv-profile 5" to mux it into an mp4 file, then will the video still be profile 8, but have the fake id of profile 5?
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

Oleg_NYC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:34 pm
I wish someone would answer my question. If I have a profile 8 DV video and use "mp4muxer --dv-profile 5" to mux it into an mp4 file, then will the video still be profile 8, but have the fake id of profile 5?
Yes, it’s p8 with fake id. The profile is more like a header to indicate type of DV, but it’s the data within RPU that truly matter. I don’t understand why would someone want to do this unless they are Apple user.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Amused wrote:
To be honest with you, I completely abandoned my Zidoo Z1000 Pro player (which plays it all hassle free by the way) since member @RESET_9999 basically taught me how to utilize the “dual track-dual layer” files with my Sony X700 UHD player, using his fantastic DoVi Scripts (the link can be found in his signature).. I can tell you straight away - there is no comparison. The image produced by the Sony player from a Profile 7 FEL DV file is by far superior to the one produced by the Zidoo player (which cannot utilize the full fat DoVi) - the richness of colors, the absence of any color banding, the depth of the image, etc. - all far superior, basically no difference compared to a Dolby Vision UHD disc. BTW, I am ripping the movies to a full Blu Ray folder in order to be able to use FF/RW and chapters within a movie.
I wouldn't describe picture-quality difference using such superlatives.
In my experience, (properly processed) FEL does not always yield the same impact. Sometimes the difference to BL + RPU is obvious, sometimes it's very hard to tell any.
Having a Z9X, eventhough bothered with all Zidoo quirks and suffering from a seemingly neverending firmware saga, I never noticed it showing any color banding. Not for "regular" video, nor for DV material. And regardless of whether FEL is ignored or not present. As a sidenote, I can imagine switching DV mode from "tv-led" to "player-led" may have influence.

But, having UHDBD players also, I would agree that their full blown FEL playback overall beats a mediaplayer.
Oleg_NYC

Post by Oleg_NYC »

sw5163 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:15 am
Oleg_NYC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:34 pm
Yes, it’s p8 with fake id. The profile is more like a header to indicate type of DV, but it’s the data within RPU that truly matter. I don’t understand why would someone want to do this unless they are Apple user.
When I use DLNA to stream mp4s containing videos with profile id 5, then Dolby Vision will be triggered on my LG TV. But this solution only partially works because the internal LG player had problems seeking in at least one of those files. All those mp4s have the fake profile id 5, but before
they were remuxed, they were profile 8 mkvs. The internal LG player won't ever play mp4s with videos whose id is profile 8. I don't know if buying the Amazon Fire Stick will allow me to stream profile 8 mkvs to my TV and successfully trigger Dolby Vision. What about attempting to mux a video and an audio into the m2ts container, not the mp4 container? I still can't figure out what command I should type to make tsMuxeR do it for me. "tsMuxeR BL_RPU.hevc audio.ac3" seems like a wrong command... So, please tell me what I should do.
Last edited by Oleg_NYC on Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Amused wrote:
sofakng wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:45 pm
sw5163 wrote:

I notice color banding in several movies. For example, the WB logo during the opening of Interstellar, or the logo (forgot the text) during the opening of Spiral: Book of Saw. Not sure if it's the content or the x700. X700 uses TV led dolby vision automatically when the tv supports that right?
Amused

Post by Amused »

ArArdin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:36 am
Amused wrote:
I wouldn't describe picture-quality difference using such superlatives.
In my experience, (properly processed) FEL does not always yield the same impact. Sometimes the difference to BL + RPU is obvious, sometimes it's very hard to tell any.
Having a Z9X, eventhough bothered with all Zidoo quirks and suffering from a seemingly neverending firmware saga, I never noticed it showing any color banding. Not for "regular" video, nor for DV material. And regardless of whether FEL is ignored or not present. As a sidenote, I can imagine switching DV mode from "tv-led" to "player-led" may have influence.

But, having UHDBD players also, I would agree that their full blown FEL playback overall beats a mediaplayer.
I used the 4K UHD rip (BDMV folder) of the movie “Hobbit - An unexpected journey” to test the differences between the Zidoo and the Sony X700. I believe it is profile 7 MEL. Compared to the Sony, the Zidoo appeared to produce a somewhat softer image with less depth and at times too “digital”. The colors were not as vibrant (for example the grass around the hobbits’ houses, as well as fire scenes). The Sony also gives a brighter DoVi image for some reason.