Cannot delete directory created in Make MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
bargeral

Cannot delete directory created in Make MKV

Post by bargeral »

In the 'output folder' field of the main screen I pasted in a filename "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) ". Note the space at the end. When I hit the 'Make MKV' button it asked if I wanted to create the directory where I clicked yes, then it came up with a "Copy complete: 0 titles saved" right away. I pasted the name in again "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)" omitting the space at the end and it copied like it usual does. But then I had two directories identical except for the space at the end. The one file I created was in both directories and I cannot delete or rename one of them. So this leads to two points: Make a check in your create directory dialog to either clean up or prevent spaces at the end of a directory name, and second - more of a windows question - how to I get rid of the extra directory?
setarip_old

Re: Cannot delete directory created in Make MKV

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Cold reboot your system and then delete the folder...

bargeral

Post by bargeral »

Thanks for the suggestion. No luck. I tried a restart when it first happened, and just now did a cold reboot. Still cannot delete the folder. Also I tried doing it from a command prompt with elevated (run as admin) rights. Still no luck.

I am guessing I might have to get into the filesystem without loading windows somehow, probably build a boot disk. Been a while since I've done that so an easy fix would be better.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

There are a number of small programs to do this
I have used MoveonBoot with success.

Hope this helps

Tony
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thanks for reporting - clearly a bug, MakeMKV shouldn't name folders like that.
bargeral

Post by bargeral »

Thanks for the help.

It's Windows Vista 64.

It's also a directory I need to kill, not a file. The directory is empty. I suspect having two identically named directories, except for the trailing space on one, corrupted the FAT or whatever table holds the Dir structure. I was able to get rid of one of them but not both. And they both had the same file in them when it was there. Delete the file from one and it's gone from both. Odd behavior all around.

I did try the command line - right click on command, run as admin. (See below.)

Also I downloaded MoveOnBoot, but it has the same problem. I can select the Dir to delete, but when it queues it up it has an error that the dir does not exist and warns that it may not be able to delete it. After a reboot it is still there.

Oh and "Yea!! I found a bug!" :)

==============

E:\Media\Video>dir b*
Volume in drive E is New Volume
Volume Serial Number is AA90-C535

Directory of E:\Media\Video

04/05/2011 10:08 PM <DIR> Back to the Future
04/01/2011 07:30 PM <DIR> Batman
04/23/2011 09:09 PM <DIR> Battlestar Galactica
04/23/2011 10:38 AM <DIR> Bells Are Ringing (1960)
04/09/2011 05:52 PM <DIR> Beowulf
03/30/2011 11:17 PM <DIR> Beverly HIlls Cop
03/20/2011 11:08 PM <DIR> Big Bang Theory
04/13/2011 10:17 PM <DIR> Bill and Ted
04/03/2011 01:49 PM <DIR> Blazing Saddles
04/23/2011 12:40 AM <DIR> Breakfast at Tiffany's
04/23/2011 08:29 AM <DIR> Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
04/18/2011 09:06 PM <DIR> Bridget Jones's Diary
04/17/2011 01:47 PM <DIR> Brigadoon
04/03/2011 05:19 PM <DIR> Bruce Almighty
04/10/2011 07:46 PM <DIR> Buffy the Vampire Slayer
04/17/2011 02:59 PM <DIR> Burn After Reading
0 File(s) 0 bytes
16 Dir(s) 268,338,180,096 bytes free

E:\Media\Video>rd "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)"
The system cannot find the file specified.

E:\Media\Video>del "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)"
Could Not Find E:\Media\Video\Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

E:\Media\Video> rd "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) "
The system cannot find the file specified.

E:\Media\Video>del "Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) "
Could Not Find E:\Media\Video\Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

E:\Media\Video>
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@bargeral

Hi!

The following provides the correct commandline usage for deleting a directory/folder.
Note that quotation marks are NOT used:
Examples
To delete a directory named \User\Smith, first ensure that the directory is empty. To do this, type:

dir \user\smith /a

Only the "." and ".." symbols should display.

Then, from any directory except \User\Smith, type:

rmdir \user\smith

To delete the directory \User and all of the subdirectories and files, type:

rmdir /s \user
(For some reason, the full "rmdir" command many times works, while the shorthand "rm" does not...)
bargeral

Post by bargeral »

Thanks setarip_old, that did the trick. I had to do a "dir /x" to learn the 8.3 short name of the file, but then doing the rmdir /s got it. Thanks.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Thanks setarip_old, that did the trick.
My pleasure, as always ;>}

car421

Post by car421 »

setarip_old wrote:@bargeral

Hi!

The following provides the correct commandline usage for deleting a directory/folder.
Note that quotation marks are NOT used:
Examples
To delete a directory named \User\Smith, first ensure that the directory is empty. To do this, type:

dir \user\smith /a

Only the "." and ".." symbols should display.

Then, from any directory except \User\Smith, type:

rmdir \user\smith

To delete the directory \User and all of the subdirectories and files, type:

rmdir /s \user
(For some reason, the full "rmdir" command many times works, while the shorthand "rm" does not...)
I was having the same problem and this helped me get rid of the folders. But now the main directory "Video" can not be deleted. Get Access is denied error. I can't delete it using the above method or by selecting delete by right click. I also can't put new MKV's into the folder.
grandchawhee

Post by grandchawhee »

Hello,

I have a similar issue. Today I created a MKV file in the default folder C:\video, The file folder name was incorrectly titled (my mistake while typing) "Something Wicked This Way Comes - ." Notice the space, - , then another space. The file would not open so I opted to delete the folder. When I tried to delete the file folder I got an "Item Not Found" error followed by the "could not find this item", "This is no Longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again".

I tried deleting the main folder from the command prompt C:\Users\smith rmdir C:\Video (received response ("The Directory is not empty") as well as attempting to directly delete the folder from the desktop. No Luck.

Any suggestions?

Running v1.8.4 win(x64-release)

Update: I was able to delete the folder. *See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIj-6f4NjNA
I will leave this post as it appears that this problem or bug can be reproduced by simply typing in a folder name that contains a space, - , space at the end of the typed title.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the directory was created by MakeMKV while it was running as administrator, then Windows won't let you delete it unless you're acting as an administrator. Similarly, it will refuse write permissions to non-administrators unless explicitly told to allow them.

RIGHT click on the directory in Explorer, and select "Properties", then examine the "Security" tab to see what users and groups can do what with the directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging