Crank (2006) ripping with pop-up commentary

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Trevs

Crank (2006) ripping with pop-up commentary

Post by Trevs »

I am a bit puzzled by this one, though admittedly I'm still kind of new at this.

I can provide screenshots tomorrow, but basically I'm trying to rip my Crank Blu-Ray and every time, it rips with the pop-up video commentary (called Crank'd Out Mode) hard-coded into the file. I just can't seem to rip the movie without including this feature.

There's a second set of files in five chapters that fails to rip every time, even when I isolate them, but I don't think that's the solution anyway.
dcoke22

Re: Crank (2006) ripping with pop-up commentary

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have 'Expert Mode' turned on in MakeMKV's preferences (General tab)? Often those things are a subtitle track on the disc. Expert Mode gives you more control over which tracks MakeMKV rips.
Trevs

Post by Trevs »

Thank you for replying. I actually just learning about Expert Mode tonight while trying to figure out why Deadwood DVDs are such a difficult task (but not making progress there,) so I'm trying Crank tomorrow.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

My spreadsheet says I've ripped both versions of Crank (2006) on Blu-ray (Theatrical @ 01:27:42 and Director's Cut @ 01:34:10) but unfortunately my files and notes are on a HDD that isn't mounted at the moment (I've been playing musical hard drives in my NAS for quite a while now). If you're really stuck I can swap it in and look at my notes but it's a PITA to shut down my NAS and go through the process of re-mounting the drive just to look at a text file.

I do remember something about "Crank'd Out Mode" being a Picture-In-Picture extra. I don't think it was simply a subtitle track, but I can't remember whether it was hard-coded in a separate playlist or a second video/audio track within the main playlist (hidden by MakeMKV).

I'm guessing it was a separate playlist and you're choosing the one with the PiP instead of the main feature?

What does the file structure look like in the MakeMKV main window? Are there different playlists (.mpls files) that are 'movie length'?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:03 am
My spreadsheet says I've ripped both versions of Crank (2006) on Blu-ray (Theatrical @ 01:27:42 and Director's Cut @ 01:34:10) but unfortunately my files and notes are on a HDD that isn't mounted at the moment (I've been playing musical hard drives in my NAS for quite a while now).
Seagate Exos X20 20TB hard drives are under $300 on NewEgg.com. You and your NAS deserve it. :D

Also, Crank isn't on what is essentially your incomplete list of PiP movies: Picture-in-Picture Tracks
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

It's just my personal preference of course, but I dislike Seagate drives, I've seen too many fail over the years. Besides that, last time I looked, the biggest drive on Synology's approved drive list for my NAS is 16TB, something bigger may work, but I haven't tried (and I don't think it's worth risking the data).

Yeah, I gave up adding titles to that PiP list long ago... the old saying "Falling on deaf ears" comes to mind. :cry:

Mike doesn't seem interested in any feature requests whatsoever, even simple things that would take 5 minutes to implement, so what hope do we have of getting something major like access to Picture-In-Picture tracks?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Trevs wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:01 am
and every time, it rips with the pop-up video commentary (called Crank'd Out Mode) hard-coded into the file.
I really doubt that. Is it a subtitle stream? MakeMKV does not alter the video stream.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch