Oppenheimer (2023)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ShoutingMan

Re: Oppenheimer (2023)

Post by ShoutingMan »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:43 am
Ok let's prove that theory then. Follow these steps.

1) open the disc with makemkv to the title selection screen. Leave it there and do not eject the disc at this point

2) open imgburn and read the disc to an iso file

If that's successful you should be able to open the iso with makemkv. If there are read errors imgburn will let you know definitively.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I'm wrong, most likely. Probably the drive failing to read. Based on subsequent further tries, checking also AnyDVD forum, and seeing other comments about some drives not reading and other drives reading, it's probably something with this disc and the drive. This is the first retail disc this drive has failed to read, including a couple dozen UHD discs. Big bummer, as it's not worth $100 to buy a second drive for this one disc. :(
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:45 am
ShoutingMan wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:29 am

No. Internal LG WH16NS40 1.02 drive. Works great. No other UHD discs have problems. Not an issue with the disc being dirty. Not a problem with my drive. This is a MakeMKV issue with Oppenheimer (from Amazon, apparently).
didnt you say pioneer at first see it was a junky lg
as you can see from this guy pioneer fixed his issue...
uzerkool wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:25 pm
I also have an Amazon disc. Both my WH16NS60 and BU40N would either not read it or fail about 30% of the way through all the while ripping various other 4Ks that I got recently without any issue. Picked up a flashed Pioneer BDR-S13U-X and it ran through the first time without any problem. Your mileage may vary.
you dont need a UX though s13UBK or even 212 will likely do.
Yeah I typed Pioneer initially but then checked and it's LG. This was the drive recommended back in 2016 when I built my HTPC. It's been rock solid ripping hundreds of discs for seven years. Oppenheimer is the first disc it's failed to read.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ShoutingMan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:00 am

I'm wrong, most likely. Probably the drive failing to read. Based on subsequent further tries, checking also AnyDVD forum, and seeing other comments about some drives not reading and other drives reading, it's probably something with this disc and the drive. This is the first retail disc this drive has failed to read, including a couple dozen UHD discs. Big bummer, as it's not worth $100 to buy a second drive for this one disc. :(
Let's be clear, INVESTING in a Pioneer drive is NOT simply for one disc. It's for all triple layer discs and future discs you'll want to rip. Trust us, the Pioneer drives are the best.
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:09 am
ShoutingMan wrote:

Let's be clear, INVESTING in a Pioneer drive is NOT simply for one disc. It's for all triple layer discs and future discs you'll want to rip. Trust us, the Pioneer drives are the best.
What Pioneer drive is recommended? I haven't look into this for 6+ years, no idea what people buying now. And does it have to have its firmware re-flashed to "downgrade" it to work?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ShoutingMan wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:09 am
ShoutingMan wrote:

What Pioneer drive is recommended? I haven't look into this for 6+ years, no idea what people buying now. And does it have to have its firmware re-flashed to "downgrade" it to work?
Pioneer is a bit complicated at the moment. The easiest way is to find one of the sellers that sells where you live and buy a working drive from them. There is at least one model out there that seems to still be sold with older firmware so that's another option potentially. Downgrading is not something that can be done at the current time. And any drives with firmware newer than Dec 2022 won't work and can't be flashed. Hence easier to buy from a trusted seller, get a known working drive, and have far fewer issues with discs going forward. I have a 212ubk and just got an s13ubk recently. Having 2 pioneers at one makes ripping those season discs much nicer. I just did strange new worlds s1 and s2 and will be doing mandalorian s1 and s2 in the next few days when they arrive. Zero issue with either drive so far. They're like a tank.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ShoutingMan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:13 am

s13 ubk is more than enough the ux is way over prices to be very slightly quitter
the 212 is good too i haven't had any issues with any of them other than shipping damage from my supplier
but remember most pioneers at retail now will have fw that is too new to flash so for now you must buy through a seller in your region with old FW.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Matista217

Post by Matista217 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:47 am
Matista217 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:04 am
9DF6 still refuses to rip. What can I do?
if you didnt already send it in see below for how
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24711
i’ve verified that geoblocking is disabled on my end. still no dice. is there anything i can do at this point?
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

Ok, thanks for the help and recommendations. I'm in the midst of deciding if my HTPC hobby is worth continuing, especially if it means $160+ and a weekend installing a new drive. I really like the media PC when it works, but it requires a lot of time. :)
yingste

Post by yingste »

Matista217 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:12 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Matista217 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:04 am
9DF6 still refuses to rip. What can I do?
i’ve verified that geoblocking is disabled on my end. still no dice. is there anything i can do at this point?
To my understanding multiple 9DF6 discs all failed around the 30gb mark. To me that implies that there is just a mastering error on that batch of disc and not necessarily an issue with the drive used. If you can, try requesting a replacement disc. The replacement disc I got worked but others have not been as fortunate. At least for my first disc it failed in ddrescue at the same spot as makemkv so I don't think there is an issue in the program. Even after running ddrescue for over a week it could only rescue 99.75gb of the total 101.51gb.
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

yingste wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:57 am
Matista217 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:12 pm
Billycar11 wrote:

To my understanding multiple 9DF6 discs all failed around the 30gb mark. To me that implies that there is just a mastering error on that batch of disc and not necessarily an issue with the drive used. If you can, try requesting a replacement disc. The replacement disc I got worked but others have not been as fortunate. At least for my first disc it failed in ddrescue at the same spot as makemkv so I don't think there is an issue in the program. Even after running ddrescue for over a week it could only rescue 99.75gb of the total 101.51gb.
That's what's happened with both discs I've gotten from Amazon. Is it still my disc and not my LG drive? I don't know how to identify the "9DF6" designation to see if my disc is one of them. I’m wondering if it’s worth the trouble to try buying from BestBuy to see if it works (and return the Amazon disc if so).

Has anyone played it on a normal player to see if it fails during conventional viewing?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It will play fine on an actual UHD player. They have different types of error correcting they use and they can skip over damaged/unreadable sections. Whether that's perceptible when watching depends on quite a few variables. Ripping a disc is different than playing it. While they seem like similar functions, they are not. Therefore "it plays in a player so it must be...." is not a valid statement or thought process. The reality is that it's almost guaranteed to be failing at a layer break. LG/Asus drives have problems with triple layer discs. You can keep trying the exchange the disc game if you want, and eventually you might get lucky, but as I said before, if you want to permanently solve this kind of nonsense going forward, get a Pioneer drive and be done with it.
Mikeracing

Post by Mikeracing »

i ended up having to try using my other blu ray drive and switched firmware a couple times and ended up getting mine to work thank you too everyone for the help !!!!
webminster

Post by webminster »

After the replacement disc from Amazon also failed, I bought a copy from Walmart. Had no problem ripping that, first go out of the box. So another return to Amazon, to try to get a refund.
-Alan
JayPSU

Post by JayPSU »

I got a hash check error on mine about a third of the way in. Does that imply a disc problem or a drive problem?
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

JayPSU wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:49 pm
I got a hash check error on mine about a third of the way in. Does that imply a disc problem or a drive problem?
I have the same problem. I’ve been told it’s a drive problem. Some say they’ve returned and re-bought discs until they got a different printing that their drive could read.