Streaming issues

Everything related to MakeMKV
rspapabear

Streaming issues

Post by rspapabear »

Hey All,

I've been trying to use Makemvk for just watching my BDs on my laptop via streaming to VLC. But,I notice that almost half of the ones I own get only garbled video when I try to watch. It does appear to be newer titles so I imagine its just a newer encryption method.

X-Men Last Stand
Robin Hood (Russell Crowe)
A-Team

..just to name a few.

Am I correct in assuming that it is an encryption method that MKV just can't handle yet? Or, is MKV just spitting the stream out in a format VLC isn't handling?

I'm really hoping there is a fix for this. I'm dying for a BD player for linux and this is the closest I can find. I really want to pay to upgrade from the beta but am holding off because of this.
reebok

Re: Streaming issues

Post by reebok »

I'm not sure as I've not used streaming, but there is no "upgrade from the beta". the latest version is the latest version, whether you pay or not (as long as the program stays in beta).
But fwiw, I ripped 2 of the 3 of those films with no problems. is ripping them and simply playing them over the network an option? are you sure your network can handle the high data rates for streaming?
rspapabear

Post by rspapabear »

Hey Reebok

Thanks for the reply

1st, by "upgrade from beta" I mean I have not purchased my own key yet as I'm trying to see if it truly a viable option to play BDs on a linux box.

As for streaming, I'm streaming MKV and watching with VLC on the same computer. The network is not a factor here.

Trying to rip really isn't feasible for me.1) I really don't have the storage for it. 2) I watch while travelling and really don't want to mess with trying to stream from home storage over a vpn.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi, more likely it is a VLC issue. Try with mplayer instead to confirm (preferably from git)

when streaming, makemkv simply decodes the m2ts that's on the disk.