Is MakeMKV open source?
SamuriHL

Re: Is MakeMKV open source?

Post by SamuriHL »

No. It's a commercial product.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Parts of MakeMKV are open source - gui, MKV multiplexer, optical drive query library.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Neat. I definitely didn't know that. Thanks, Mike!
zzzhhh

Post by zzzhhh »

Thank you, Mike. I still have a question: have you bought a license for Bluray Format Specifications? it is said that this license costs more than $10,000. If you bought it, you must be a millionaire; if not, not knowing the detailed format of Bluray, how did you develop this software?
skittle

Post by skittle »

zzzhhh wrote:Thank you, Mike. I still have a question: have you bought a license for Bluray Format Specifications? it is said that this license costs more than $10,000. If you bought it, you must be a millionaire; if not, not knowing the detailed format of Bluray, how did you develop this software?
likely by reverse engineering.

There are open source projects for bluray though:

libaacs http://www.videolan.org/developers/libaacs.html
libbluray http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
And somewhere someone is working on libbdplus http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1 ... stcount=52

DumpHD http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=9 ... ostcount=1
zzzhhh

Post by zzzhhh »

Thank you very much, skittle. I've got an idea -- since the developers have acquired knowledges about the Bluray format spec by reverse engineering and express them though C++ or Java codes, why not compile by collective efforts a document of "unofficial" Bluray Format Specification? I think this would be more useful and convienient than reading C++ or Java codes. After all, having knowing the spec, development is just a routine; also, spec written in natural language will share the knowledge to a wider audience, say, hardware developpers of FPGA chip implementation of Bluray player through (open source) verilog.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I have never read such leading questions. I smell an industry shill.
zzzhhh wrote:Hai guise! Can I sees your codes please?
zzzhhh wrote:Oh noes! I can't sees your codes? Well did you givf me monies to do this?
zzzhhh wrote:Wat wat wat? You didn't givfs no monies? Why don'ts you publish your work so I can sues you?
Seriously?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
zzzhhh

Post by zzzhhh »

crowfax wrote:I have never read such leading questions. I smell an industry shill.
zzzhhh wrote:Hai guise! Can I sees your codes please?
zzzhhh wrote:Oh noes! I can't sees your codes? Well did you givf me monies to do this?
zzzhhh wrote:Wat wat wat? You didn't givfs no monies? Why don'ts you publish your work so I can sues you?
Seriously?
you should see a doctor immediately because I've got a smell of mental disorder from you.
Take your disease Seriously!
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

zzzhhh wrote:you should see a doctor immediately because I've got a smell of mental disorder from you.
Take your disease Seriously!
Is insulting people what you spend most of your time online doing? :roll:
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@zzzhhh

Hi!

You stated:
it is said that this license costs more than $10,000. If you bought it, you must be a millionaire
To say that you have an odd sense of currency conversion and/or mathematics would be a gross understatement...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

For the main question, look at libbluray on VLC website.

zzzhhh, please be respectful to other members.Topic closed.