[solved] mkv bigger than DVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
lovelove

[solved] mkv bigger than DVD

Post by lovelove »

Hi folks.
http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv wrote:MKV files are compact. For exactly the same content MKV files are about 10% smaller than DVD files and roughly 40% smaller than Blu-ray files.
ok, I tried that with the 2009 DVD "Pandorum" (4287 MB).
After remuxing to mkv with MakeMKV, my output DIR has
a filesize of 4534 MB, which is a 6% increase.

Also I coulnd't find the main DVD menu ("play", "bonus features", "scene selection", etc.).

Thank you for any help.

EDIT: It seems that MakeMKV has copied one of the extra features twice (hence the bigger file size). No big deal, just delete one of the duplicate output files manually. With my other DVDs everything went fine and the output size is indeed a little smaller, just as advertised. Solved.
Last edited by lovelove on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
skittle

Re: mkv bigger than DVD?

Post by skittle »

Hi, on some dvds there are alternate scenes (for different languages) and such on the dvd. makemkv will treat this is separate files as there is no easy way to select which one you want from mkv container.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@lovelove

Hi!
Also I coulnd't find the main DVD menu ("play", "bonus features", "scene selection", etc.).
Matroska/MKV does not presently support menus...

lovelove

Post by lovelove »

setarip_old wrote: Matroska/MKV does not presently support menus...
thank you for the clear answer
skittle wrote:Hi, on some dvds there are alternate scenes (for different languages) and such on the dvd. makemkv will treat this is separate files as there is no easy way to select which one you want from mkv container.
ok, I understand this. how does this relate to OP?