New BD+ - X-men 1st class, StarWars saga set

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
crowfax

Re: New BD+ - X-men 1st class, StarWars saga set

Post by crowfax »

I hope all the people saying it doesn't work are submitting their BD+ dump files to Mike.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
thinksinc

Post by thinksinc »

Can those reporting success with 1.6.15 verify that forced subtitles (the alien languages) are also displaying correctly?

I used the AnyDVD + MakeMKV combo and found that although the rips were successful, the forced alien subtitles don't appear unless I manually enable the last Subtitle track via DirectVobSub after playback has started in MC7.

If the new MakeMKV release can correctly display the forced subtitles without that extra step, I'd gladly re-rip the discs.

Thanks,
R
linerjoe

Post by linerjoe »

I'm on Lion, and I was able to rip all 6 discs of the SW saga set after upgrading to .15. Forced subtitles don't appear to be working for me either, unless I select the last subtitle track manually.

joe
jproy79

Post by jproy79 »

linerjoe wrote:I'm on Lion, and I was able to rip all 6 discs of the SW saga set after upgrading to .15. Forced subtitles don't appear to be working for me either, unless I select the last subtitle track manually.

joe

Joe, Where do you go to manually select the last subtitle track?
thinksinc

Post by thinksinc »

If you've got DirectVobSub installed (Windows only) you can select any of the Subtitle tracks once playback has started. If you select the last one, you'll get the alien forced subtitles.

It's a bit of a pain to have to remember to perform this manual step rather than just hitting Play and sitting back to watch, so hopefully a future update to MakeMKV will allow the Star Wars BDs to automatically show the forced Subtitle tracks like other BD titles do without this extra step.

-R
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

thinksinc wrote:It's a bit of a pain to have to remember to perform this manual step rather than just hitting Play and sitting back to watch, so hopefully a future update to MakeMKV will allow the Star Wars BDs to automatically show the forced Subtitle tracks like other BD titles do without this extra step.
It's really not that simple.
Out of the 3 tracks which contain forced subtitles (one for the movie, and two for the audio commentaries),
how is MakeMKV supposed to guess which is the correct one?

1) artificial intelligence: OCR the subtitles, analyze them, connect to the internet and ask on IRC

2) a manually updated list of all Blu-ray discs ever released on Earth

3) enable the first track which contains forced subtitles
---> will not work for A New Hope (UK Blu-ray)
---> will not work for any disc where the forced subtitles aren't flagged as forced
-------> e.g. LOTR EE (some Blu-ray release for the Asian market)

4) enable the last track which contains forced subtitles
---> will work for A New Hope but not the other 3 Star Wars movies with alien dialogue (UK Blu-ray)
---> will not work for any disc where the forced subtitles aren't flagged as forced
-------> e.g. LOTR EE (some Blu-ray release for the Asian market)

5) let the user select the subtitles manually

Which of these do you think is the better option?
Last edited by Romansh on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Indeed, Phantom menace uses a slightly different version of BD+ . The SVQ file is updated.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

linerjoe wrote:I'm on Lion, and I was able to rip all 6 discs of the SW saga set after upgrading to .15. Forced subtitles don't appear to be working for me either, unless I select the last subtitle track manually.

joe
I ripped Return of the Jedi last night, and the correct subtitle track was NOT the last one. I have my preferences set in makemkv to default to "English," so makemkv doesn't rip all subtitle tracks... only those marked English. This resulted in nine subtitle tracks in the MKV. I found the correct set of subtitles was the second-from-last, or in my rip, track 8.

Things got even more complicated when I encoded with Handbrake, which doesn't understand subtitles in .sup format. I followed the procedures outlined on various forums and eventually ended up with a good encode with burned-in subtitles. (Burned-in is what I want for the forced subtitles on the Star Wars films, but it's about the same difficulty to end up with traditional subtitles.)

Dave
thelangs

Post by thelangs »

cleverr1 wrote:Hi,
So has anyone yet compiled a list of all the required subtitle streams needed to get only the translations?

So far I've got track 2 for "a new hope" and track 6 for "return of the jedi"

Cheers.
Somewhat new at Makemkv. Can you expand on what you mean "track 6", etc for getting the subtitles?

Thanks
jfkyle

Post by jfkyle »

DaveQ wrote:Things got even more complicated when I encoded with Handbrake, which doesn't understand subtitles in .sup format. I followed the procedures outlined on various forums and eventually ended up with a good encode with burned-in subtitles. (Burned-in is what I want for the forced subtitles on the Star Wars films, but it's about the same difficulty to end up with traditional subtitles.)
Can you elaborate on what procedures you used after Handbrake to get the burned-in subtitles?
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

I don't have the time to put together a detailed step-by-step guide right now, and I'm leaving for a business trip in a couple days. However the steps to do this have been outlined here and/or on the HandBrake forum. Look for a post about dealing with blu-ray subtitles for the movie Avatar. If I recall correctly, it talks about the steps necessary to do it on Windows. Then there is another post somewhere in which somebody else talks about how to do the same thing with Mac tools, that covers the mac-specific steps. (You'll still have to refer to the original Windows post for screenshots and details that aren't Mac-specific).

This isn't a friendly, all-GUI procedure. Some steps are done on the Mac command line in a terminal session. It helps a lot if you're familiar with the unix command line, especially if your executables aren't installed in the same locations as the people who outlined the steps.

The broad outline is as follows:

* Rip movie using makemkv.
* Identify which subtitle track in the ripped mkv is the correct one. (This isn't obvious, and for some weird reason it appears to be different for different users. Not sure why. Also, for the Star Wars films you probably only want the forced subtitles [alien dialog].)
* Extract the .sup-format subtitle track from the mkv and store it somewhere on your system.
* Convert the .sup subtitle track to .idx subtitle format.
* Strip out the unneeded subtitle tracks from the original mkv.
* Insert the .idx subtitle track into the original mkv.
* Use HandBrake to re-encode, selecting the option to make burned-in subtitles. (HandBrake understands .idx)

You'll need at least three different tools to accomplish all of this, which are listed in the posts I referred to above.

Good luck,
Dave
cdhaiki

Post by cdhaiki »

Makemkv (1.6.15 licensed on Linux) failed to read/decrypt my X-Men First Class
Blu-Ray that I picked up at Walmart the night before last. I tried again, this time just
copying to my hard disk and it was successful, so I don't know if it was a problem
with makemkv or a transient problem with my BR-DVD writer. After copying to my
hard disk, I was able to use makemkv on the files there to decrypt. I then used
Handbrake to shrink the result, creating a playable mkv which I'll store and keep.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

a transient problem with my BR-DVD writer.
This is most likely, since there's not been an inordinate number of posts regarding .MKV backup of this title...

kcsims

Post by kcsims »

I'm also having problems with X-Men. I am trying to make a backup of the disc, no convert to mkv. It just fails for me similar to Rio. What am I doing wrong here? Using version 1.6.15. Please help. Thanks.
Cluzi

Post by Cluzi »

X-men First Class gave me troubles too but a MKV was made fine after I read a post by someone else on this thread.

First time I tried the 'decrypt' MakeMKV would report a error after about a minute and fail to backup.

So I tried the trick someone mentioned here. I simply had MakeMKV backup without trying to decrypt.
Once the non-decrypted copy was on my hard drive I pointed MakeMKV to that and had it create MKV from that.

Amazingly it worked. No idea why but it does.

My Blu-ray drive is the one that came with my Hewlett Packard media center type PC.

As an aside. I only just discovered MakeMKV yesterday when I was forced to do a search online for WHY my PC's blu-ray
player software (the package the HP pc shipped with) would not allow me to view this particular Blu-ray. I had also tried the latest and greatest Cyberlink 11 software.
It failed as well.
So, thank you MakeMKV makers. I didn't WANT a Mkv copy of the blu-ray but thanks to the jerks in Hollywood I was forced
to find a solution. Thankfully you have one and I could watch the movie. P.S. It stank IMO.

I'll be buying a copy soon. Of MAkeMKV that is. Xmen-first class is going back to Netflix.