[SOLVED] Change Audio-Track/Stream Name for BluRay/DVD rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
Olivier

[SOLVED] Change Audio-Track/Stream Name for BluRay/DVD rips

Post by Olivier »

Hi All,

I'm using the latest version of MakeMKv but I'm encountering an annoying issue. When ripping a bluray I can select the video track and the audio track but some audio tracks appears with strange names "DTS 3/2+1 French". The problem is that once converted to mkv, when I read them in XBMC I only have the "3/2+1" name remaining. No mention to the language, no mention if its DTS or DTS Master Audio ...

It is then very hard to know which track is in French or English and which track in in DTS 5.1 or DTS Master Audio 5.1.

Is there a way to "rename" or change the way the audio tracks are named for something more user friendly like "3/2+1" translated to "DTS 5.1 English"
version 1.7.10 let user to blank names of audio tracks names fields
Last edited by Olivier on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phidens

Re: Change Audio Track Name for BluRay rips

Post by Phidens »

I am having the same issue. Finding that all the stream information, ie language, name, etc are all wipe to some generic value which doesn't help at all.

Stream names should specify codec + language, and subtitles should also specify if they are forced or not.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This functionality is coming very soon.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

That's very good news.

I used Mkvtoolnix to rename track and subtitles but it takes ages and all effort made to find the fastest dvd reader for fast ripping is reduced to zero because Mkvtoolnix has to remux the whole file (20 mintues at least for a 25 gb file).

Can't wait the update !

thanks a lot for you great product !
stealth82

Post by stealth82 »

Any news or an ETA about that?
stealth82

Post by stealth82 »

Olivier wrote:I used Mkvtoolnix to rename track and subtitles but it takes ages and all effort made to find the fastest dvd reader for fast ripping is reduced to zero because Mkvtoolnix has to remux the whole file (20 mintues at least for a 25 gb file).
Remuxing files is not necessary. When in mkvmerge GUI, you just need to open the Header Editor - either by pressing CTRL + E or launching it from menu File > Header editor
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

I see that with the latest version of MakeMKV it's now possible to manually edit each stream name... it's a very good feature... now, the next step could be to have a default value that use the language name of the stream. So rather than having 3/2+1 it would be so nice to have the field set to English, or English 5.1, or Italian, Italian 5.1...

It's very nice to have the ability to manually edit each stream...but I'm lazy and I'd prefer MMkv to do it :-)

3/2+1 is rather cabalistic for simple humans being but "Language + Format" (Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-MA...) is a common vocabulary understood by everyone.

Any chance to see this in a next release ?

TIA !
stealth82

Re: Change Audio-Track/Stream Name for BluRay/DVD rips

Post by stealth82 »

From what I can see I think the problem is just the opposite. The meta-tag Name should not be included in the muxing rather than be written with more readable information. Why, it's just a repetition of what the track already contains. If you fill it up with texts like the ones you suggested you end up with displaying the same information twice, and that annoys me more than reading 3/2+1. Of course, it may depend on what your player decides to display, but I conducted a couple of tests and I prefer to ditch the tag Name entirely. It may be useful only to identify whether the track is commentary, for hearing-impaired or similar.

So, the problem is that you cannot blank out the field, something must be written in it. If you even try that MakeMKV restores its default text for the track.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Standalones usually present less info so having the stream name displayed is not always redundant.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

stealth82 wrote:From what I can see I think the problem is just the opposite. The meta-tag Name should not be included in the muxing rather than be written with more readable information. Why, it's just a repetition of what the track already contains. If you fill it up with texts like the ones you suggested you end up with displaying the same information twice, and that annoys me more than reading 3/2+1. Of course, it may depend on what your player decides to display, but I conducted a couple of tests and I prefer to ditch the tag Name entirely. It may be useful only to identify whether the track is commentary, for hearing-impaired or similar.

So, the problem is that you cannot blank out the field, something must be written in it. If you even try that MakeMKV restores its default text for the track.
Hmmm, we do not share the same experience here :) . I use XBMC and it displays 3/2+1 instead of anything human readable (at least by a non geek person : for instance, my dear wife). Maybe XBMC would display something different if the field has been blank... I do not know and I do not not know how to test...

So, to reconcile everyone, it would be nice to have an option in MakeMKV that allows the user to set the stream name to : 3/2+1, blank or translation of 3/2+1 (from a file or an internal dictionary...)
jasonwc

Post by jasonwc »

At the very least it would be useful to indicate that a subtitle is forced. The rest would probably be repetitive for many. My Dune provides stream info rather than the track name - for example, "English DTS-HD MA Multichannel" or "English PGS".
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

jasonwc wrote:At the very least it would be useful to indicate that a subtitle is forced.
+1
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
dwzlol

Post by dwzlol »

Alright, so I'm a tad confused -- so what exactly is the audio track that VLC et al. describe as "3/2+1"? Is it the actual DTS HD Master Audio track, or something else?

Looking at mkvinfo it describes the track as having six channels -- I was worried MakeMKV was ignoring the DTS MA track and trying to save some weird Stereo + Subwoofer track (eg. 2.1 audio) in its place.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

stealth82 wrote:From what I can see I think the problem is just the opposite. The meta-tag Name should not be included in the muxing rather than be written with more readable information. Why, it's just a repetition of what the track already contains. If you fill it up with texts like the ones you suggested you end up with displaying the same information twice, and that annoys me more than reading 3/2+1. Of course, it may depend on what your player decides to display, but I conducted a couple of tests and I prefer to ditch the tag Name entirely. It may be useful only to identify whether the track is commentary, for hearing-impaired or similar.

I just took some time to made some tests and now I understand better what you mean by letting the track name to blank. You are right, sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand, If the track name is empty then the player (like XBMC) rely on metadata to display the track name and format.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Chetwood wrote:
jasonwc wrote:At the very least it would be useful to indicate that a subtitle is forced.
+1
+1 and I add another : identify subtitles by their type "director's comments"...