Installation Failed

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
danny_w

Installation Failed

Post by danny_w »

I am trying to install the beta on Snow Leopard 10.6 and got the error "The Installation Failed - The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail." Any ideas?
mrwiggles

Re: Installation Failed

Post by mrwiggles »

I'm having the exact same problem on Snow Leopard 10.6.1. I tried to run my original version of makemkv and I got the demo timed out error asking me to re-download. So I downloaded a new version and got the exact same 'failed to install' error. Anyone have an answer to this. I uninstalled my original version with Appzapper and then tried again. Still no luck. Bummer. Please help.

thanks,
-mw
mrwiggles

Post by mrwiggles »

Trying again. Can Mike Admin help here? What do I need to do to reinstall the beta so that I won't get the 'installation failed' from the installer. I'm basically dead in the water. I blew away my windows vm now that I had makemkv on the mac, but now I have no solution.

Thanks!
-mw
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

it is very hard to diagnose and we have not seen any other reports about it. I honestly don't know what can be done, since we can't reproduce the error,
danny_w

Post by danny_w »

Sorry, I thought that I had answered this already. I found that you MUST be logged in as an administrator in order to install makemkv, but I could not find this documented anywhere. Why is this required? This is one of only a very small number of applications I have seen that require this. Most applications will install from a normal account and prompt for the administrator unsername/password, but makemkv simply fails instead.
mrwiggles

Post by mrwiggles »

Yes, this is very un-mac like to require a user to be logged-in as an Admin in order to install. You guys should change this as many mac users have normal user accounts for security purposes AND admin accounts for overall system administration if required. I'm not aware of any other mac app that doesn't prompt you for your admin credentials during install time as a way to avoid being logged-in as admin. You guys should make this change.

-mw
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thanks for explaining. Request noted, will try to correct in a next version. MakeMKV does not require any administrative privileges, that is true.
appletea

Post by appletea »

Hi,

it is good that MakeMKV are also available for mac. Until now it works for me quite well!

But i have one suggestion for improvement:

Rather than an installer.pkg integrated into the "makemkv.dmg", it would be better to store only the "makemkv.app". Then you can drag and drop it to every folder where you want.

OR

Instead of making a dmg, you could make a zip file which you can then double-click simple and drag and drop your "makemkv.app" to every folder where you want.

Thanks.
chrissearle

Post by chrissearle »

If you can't just release the .app file (allowing the user to just drag it to wherever) - then you can set the rights needed in the package.

See: http://developer.apple.com/tools/installerpolicy.html

It shows the auth options in the first screenshot. I think all you need is Admin ;) I believe this just to be for the installer - not for the actual app itself.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thank you for the info, let's see what can be done.
captain

Post by captain »

The fail is happening when the installer tries to MOVE the files to the Applications folder.

An easier solution than signing in as an Administrator account is to simply change the permissions on the Applications folder during installation. i.e. command-i, unlock the folder for changes by clicking the padlock symbol in the lower right corner of the Info window, change permissions to Read&Write for EVERYBODY.

Install makemkv

Then change the permissions back on the Applications folder (RW for system, RW for admin group, Read only for everybody), and relock the padklock to maintain future false sense of security. ;-)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Starting from version 1.5.3 MakeMKV uses new "installer".