3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
ksbarnz

3D MVC Option

Post by ksbarnz »

Great job on the new version's ability to extract 3D MVC! I have been waiting on this feature. One question, is it automatically extracted or do I need to select a specific option? I was reading through an older thread and read the ability to extract the 3d would be a separate option, but I do not see anything. I am trying to convert avatar 3D and I see two separate video streams to select from.
cozzmo

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by cozzmo »

When you view the type of video it will say:

Mpeg4 MVC-3D

Also sometimes there is a 2D and a 3D version on the same disk which the 2D version (separate title) will be much smaller in size. One of the discs showed this smaller size as only Mpeg4 in the video properties as well.

If there are two if identical times, sizes, i'm not sure what the difference would be between the two, but in that case just make sure its says Mpeg4 MVC-3D for the video track.
ksbarnz

Post by ksbarnz »

Strange. Neither one of the Mpeg4 streams on Avatar indicate MVC-3D. I will try another 3D disk and see if it indicates MVC-3D.

edit: Just tried tron legacy 3D and you are right, 3D MVC does show as an option. I guess avatar must be a special case where the 3D stream does not show up for extraction.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ksbarnz wrote:Strange. Neither one of the Mpeg4 streams on Avatar indicate MVC-3D.
Can you please check that the disc is a 3D disc - check that there are any SSIF files under BDMV/STREAM/SSIF . If there is SSIF folder and MVC stream is not shown, then it's a bug.
ksbarnz

Post by ksbarnz »

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Avatar disc I have is a 3D disc. There is a SSIF folder and it contains 3 .ssif files:

00001.ssif
00005.ssif
00091.ssif

Please let me know if you need me to check out anything else.
johnbobjamesson

Post by johnbobjamesson »

Same problem here, definitely a 3d movie with ssif (actually watched it in 3d), but no option in makemkv.
J
strandedinnz

Post by strandedinnz »

When you extract a 3D movie how do you tell the difference between it and a 2D movie ?
What is displayed with a "mkvmerge -i filename.mkv" command ?

I ripped Conan The Barbarian 3D with makekmv 1.7.2 and then again with 1.7.3 and I do see a 10GB difference in file size but mkvmerge does not show anything different and neither does VLC

"2D":
-rw-r--r-- 1 Mark staff 21523173945 31 Mar 13:33 t01_Conan_The_Barbarian_-_3D.mkv

File 't01_Conan_The_Barbarian_-_3D.mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
Track ID 2: audio (A_DTS)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS)
Chapters: 17 entries

"3D":
-rw-r--r-- 1 Mark staff 31637576909 1 Apr 10:01 Conan_The_Barbarian_-_3D_t01.mkv

File 'Conan_The_Barbarian_-_3D_t01.mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
Track ID 2: audio (A_DTS)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS)
Chapters: 17 entries

I don;t have a 3D screen so can;t play 3D but would like to know how to tell the difference.

Thanks!
MI3Guy

Post by MI3Guy »

Try mediainfo. If it is 3D it should output something like this:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count                          : 2
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

johnbobjamesson wrote:Same problem here, definitely a 3d movie with ssif (actually watched it in 3d), but no option in makemkv.
J
It's a bug. Please send all CLPI and MPLS files from affected disc per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6
MI3Guy

Post by MI3Guy »

I just recently picked up Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3D and it shows the MVC option, but when I rip it, mediainfo shows nothing that would indicate that the file is 3D. Also, the file size is only about 20GB.
shanndogg

Post by shanndogg »

What are you guys using to view your 3d MVC MKV files (software/hardware)?
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Win7 PC with Serviio connecting via network to Panasonic GT30A Plasma (as i don't have a dedicated 3D BR player yet).

I have had a few issues with playback . They do play OK on my computer in VLC (2D only) but some refuse to playback or look like they're totally corrupted when streaming to the TV through its internal media player.

When played with my WDTV Live it plays back as though the frame rate is wrong (stutters) unlike VLC which plays fine. I realise the WDTV isn't a HDMI 1.4 device so i never expected it to work for 3D but obviously has some issues with the file having the 3D frame information in it. I only have a couple of 3D Discs to try which is limiting any kind of diagnosis at the moment.
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

cozzmo wrote:Win7 PC with Serviio connecting via network to Panasonic GT30A Plasma (as i don't have a dedicated 3D BR player yet).

I have had a few issues with playback . They do play OK on my computer in VLC (2D only) but some refuse to playback or look like they're totally corrupted when streaming to the TV through its internal media player.

When played with my WDTV Live it plays back as though the frame rate is wrong (stutters) unlike VLC which plays fine. I realise the WDTV isn't a HDMI 1.4 device so i never expected it to work for 3D but obviously has some issues with the file having the 3D frame information in it. I only have a couple of 3D Discs to try which is limiting any kind of diagnosis at the moment.
Support for H.264 MVC video is not present in any Sigma Designs based media player like the WDTV Live. The Boxee Box and GoogleTV's dont support it either. The only H.264 MVC in mkv capable players on the market are Realtek 1186 ones.

TV media players are unlikely to support H.264 MVC/mkv videos as well though it's harder to say which do and dont, certainly 3D sets would be the only candidates.
ksbarnz

Post by ksbarnz »

I'm trying to find a suitable player for 3d as well. I've tried total media theater 5 but it only plays in 2d. I have read that PowerDVD will play them but I am over my trial period so I can not test it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MI3Guy wrote:I just recently picked up Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3D and it shows the MVC option, but when I rip it, mediainfo shows nothing that would indicate that the file is 3D. Also, the file size is only about 20GB.
This should be fixed in 1.7.4