Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Romansh

Re: Rips fine, but doesn't play

Post by Romansh »

mkvmerge GUI can also split MKV files.
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

Romansh wrote:mkvmerge GUI can also split MKV files.
It doesn't recognize the file, same problem with Boilsoft Video Splitter.
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

keiooz wrote:Try using VLC player to play any types of file format including MKV's.. It works well on my end.Image
I got them to play on KMPlayer already, I just can't rip them using Boilsoft Video Splitter It says the file is unrecognizable. :(
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

Is the name extension .mkv or mka?

Should look like, "name of video.mkv

Sometimes when changing directories, the extension will be changed to .mka. If this happens, all you need to do is change it back to .mkv

Also, is your copy of VLC up to date? VLC is currently at version, "2.0.1 Twoflower (Intel 64bit)"
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (mid 2012)
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

kfreeb wrote:Is the name extension .mkv or mka?

Should look like, "name of video.mkv

Sometimes when changing directories, the extension will be changed to .mka. If this happens, all you need to do is change it back to .mkv

Also, is your copy of VLC up to date? VLC is currently at version, "2.0.1 Twoflower (Intel 64bit)"
It's .mkv.

I use KMPlayer and it plays fine, I just need to split it into parts with Boilsoft Video Splitter, but it says the file can't be recognizable.
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

You may not realize it, but MKV is what is known as a media container, which means that it can hold all kinds of different video codecs inside. What you may be seeing is the limitation of Boilsoft Video Splitter's codec's that are included with the software.

You may want to contact Boilsoft support and ask them if there are limitations on the kinds of codecs that MKV files are capable of holding inside. VC1 comes to mind, (that MKV files can contain inside) and that was not on there list of codecs supported for Boilsoft Video Splitter.

If the file you're trying to split is larger that 2GB, you may also be running into a file size limitation for that software, ask them what the limitation is for file size, that it can open.

HERE'S THERE LIST OF SUPPORTED CODECS:
Without installing avi codec, the AVI files can be also split in Direct Mode!
Support splitting AVI, Divx, MPEG-4 video files
Support splitting MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB video files.
Support splitting ASF, WMV, WMA files
Support splitting Real Media(.rm, .rmvb)
Support splitting MP4(.mp4, .m4a) file
Support splitting 3GP(.3gp, 3g2) file
Support splitting MKV, FLV videos
Support splitting VCD (.dat) file
Support splitting AC3 file
Support splitting MPEG Audio file, mp1, mp2, mp3
Support large video file, even larger than 2GB.
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

kfreeb wrote:You may not realize it, but MKV is what is known as a media container, which means that it can hold all kinds of different video codecs inside. What you may be seeing is the limitation of Boilsoft Video Splitter's codec's that are included with the software.

You may want to contact Boilsoft support and ask them if there are limitations on the kinds of codecs that MKV files are capable of holding inside. VC1 comes to mind, (that MKV files can contain inside) and that was not on there list of codecs supported for Boilsoft Video Splitter.

If the file you're trying to split is larger that 2GB, you may also be running into a file size limitation for that software, ask them what the limitation is for file size, that it can open.

HERE'S THERE LIST OF SUPPORTED CODECS:
Without installing avi codec, the AVI files can be also split in Direct Mode!
Support splitting AVI, Divx, MPEG-4 video files
Support splitting MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB video files.
Support splitting ASF, WMV, WMA files
Support splitting Real Media(.rm, .rmvb)
Support splitting MP4(.mp4, .m4a) file
Support splitting 3GP(.3gp, 3g2) file
Support splitting MKV, FLV videos
Support splitting VCD (.dat) file
Support splitting AC3 file
Support splitting MPEG Audio file, mp1, mp2, mp3
Support large video file, even larger than 2GB.
Thanks! It's definitely not a mkv file size as I've split over 20GB mkv movies.

I don't know how to install VC-1 on Windows 7. It says I need Windows Media Format SDK version 9.5, but I can't find it for downloading for Win7 x36, only XP. :\

Please help!
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

EDIT
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

robpdotcom wrote:EDIT
?
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

I wrote something that I later realized wasn't going to help - there's no way to delete posts, so I just replaced it with "EDIT".
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

It all depends on how Boilsoft implemented use of codecs in there software. It may not be that you can just download a particular codec and use it.

You most definitely need to email or call Boilsoft and see if there is a VC-1 support page, than would install the codec properly. It may all so be that they may have to hard code use of VC-1 into there software and then make that update available for there end users.

There is a software called MKV Tools, (not to be confused with another software called MKVtoolnix.) MKV Tools was developed for the Mac platform, but there is a windows version of it here: http://www.picktorrent.com/torrents/07/ ... r-windows/

This is an editor for MKV files and should do what it is you need it to do. I personally use the Mac version of it and it seems to work very well.
Last edited by kfreeb on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

kfreeb wrote:It all depends on how Boilsoft implemented use of codecs in there software. It may not be that you can just download a particular codec and use it.

You most definitely need to email or call Boilsoft and see if there is a VC-1 support page, than would install the codec properly. It may all so be that they may have to hard code use of VC-1 into there software and then make that update available for there end users.

There is a software called MKV Tool, (not to be confused with another software called MKVtoolnix.) MKV Tools was developed for the Mac platform, but there is a windows version of it here: http://www.picktorrent.com/torrents/07/ ... r-windows/

This is an editor for MKV files and should do what it is you need it to do. I personally use the Mac version of it and it seems to work very well.
Which one should I download and what should I do with it?
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

As I mentioned in my post, I'm a mac user, and am using the mac version of MKV Tools, so as to the which one to download, I can't be certain, but the top one, (says trusted) seems to be the one that has the most downloads and as what to do with it, weren't you looking for a way to split MKV files?
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
lolainslacks

Post by lolainslacks »

kfreeb wrote:As I mentioned in my post, I'm a mac user, and am using the mac version of MKV Tools, so as to the which one to download, I can't be certain, but the top one, (says trusted) seems to be the one that has the most downloads and as what to do with it, weren't you looking for a way to split MKV files?
Yeah, but I can't download the "sponsored links".
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

This was the only link that I could find, that had a download for MKV Tools for the PC. This software was original intended for the Mac, but someone did a port to the PC, (not sure who) and this was the only site that I could find that had a download link, (several of them.) Did you try all of the the download links?
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6