Hardcoded subs missing

Everything related to MakeMKV
sdamaged99

Hardcoded subs missing

Post by sdamaged99 »

Hi,

A couple of examples are District 9 and X Men First Class

When the aliens are speaking in District 9 and the germans are speaking in Xmen, you have to enable english subtitles to see what's being said. Then you have to turn them off once the english speaking starts. It's a bit frustrating

I have ripped the main movie, main DTS-HD soundtrack and every single english subtitle option (including hard coded)

Is there any way to get this working, or am i doing something wrong?

Oh, watching these movies using XBMC Eden 11.
BlackDragon24

Re: Hardcoded subs missing

Post by BlackDragon24 »

sdamaged99 wrote:Hi,

A couple of examples are District 9 and X Men First Class

When the aliens are speaking in District 9 and the germans are speaking in Xmen, you have to enable english subtitles to see what's being said. Then you have to turn them off once the english speaking starts. It's a bit frustrating

I have ripped the main movie, main DTS-HD soundtrack and every single english subtitle option (including hard coded)

Is there any way to get this working, or am i doing something wrong?

Oh, watching these movies using XBMC Eden 11.
I think you are mistaking "forced" with "hard-coded."

On both of the movies you mentioned, there is a subtitle track that contains only the non-english speaking parts. That is the track you want to set as default/forced. The default behavior of subtitles can be changed using the mkvtoolnix package.
sdamaged99

Post by sdamaged99 »

Ah i see, a little bit confusing...

How do you know which subtitle track that is?

thanks for your help
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

sdamaged99 wrote:Ah i see, a little bit confusing...

How do you know which subtitle track that is?

thanks for your help
Unfortunately its trial and error. For my use, I only select the english forced subtitles when I create the mkv file, and 99/100 times the track is empty and simply left out. For the few times it does have forced subs (like for district 9 and x-men first class) it puts only the necessary forced sub into the mkv file. Sometimes you'll get two or three different forced subs if there are commentary tracks (like on some of the newer star war blu-rays), but those are usually easy to identify quickly when watching.

If you are trying to keep all of the different language subs in the mkv file, then you are going to have to go through all of the subs, figure out which one you want, and then select that one as your default/forced subtitle.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

sdamaged99 wrote:Ah i see, a little bit confusing...
Confusing how? 'Hardcoded' subs are burned into the movie and cannot be removed. 'Forced' subs are automatically turned on (and in some cases can't be turned off).
flogger123 wrote:This would be nice to add to feature request.
What feature? Since the entire stream has to be parsed to see if any items in the stream are flagged as forced, I don't see how it can be done differently.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

flogger123 is a spammer. He adds a bunch of harmless/positive posts, then adds spam to his signature after he's hit around 100 posts. Just report him whenever you see him post.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The default is to rip the file with ALL audio and subtitle languages into the MKV file. When I rip some disks, I have to manually disable as many as 6 languages I'm not interested in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Woodstock wrote:The default is to rip the file with ALL audio and subtitle languages into the MKV file. When I rip some disks, I have to manually disable as many as 6 languages I'm not interested in.
Just set your preferred language in preferences.
BigRoo

Post by BigRoo »

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue to the OP's.

I have a problem with getting subtitles to display in non english speaking sections of movies on my WDTV Live Streaming Media player.
I use MakeMKV for Blurays and select the English subtitle tracks.
Before using mkvtoolnix i cannot see any subs due to the compression issue that Ive read about. So i downloaded toolnix and selected the movie and hit remux.
It displays subs but the subs are on all the time for the whole movie (unless i select subs off), even in english spoke parts.

What exactly do i need to do to get it to only show subs in non english spoken parts? (which i understand is termed Forced subs)

Many thanks in advance
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Have you read post 4 of this thread?
BigRoo

Post by BigRoo »

Chetwood wrote:Have you read post 4 of this thread?
yes i did.

as i said, i got toolnix to add subs but i havent figured out how to just do the forced subs.
Are you saying to do a bluray rip via makemkv, selecting every english sub shown and then its a process of elimination until you get the right one?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Yes.
BigRoo

Post by BigRoo »

ok will try that

thanks guys

moochos grassyass
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

BigRoo wrote:Are you saying to do a bluray rip via makemkv, selecting every english sub shown and then its a process of elimination until you get the right one?
Not necessarily. If the streams are properly authored you need to check each "forced only" checkbox and usually end up with the one forced stream you need.
BigRoo

Post by BigRoo »

Chetwood wrote:
BigRoo wrote:Are you saying to do a bluray rip via makemkv, selecting every english sub shown and then its a process of elimination until you get the right one?
Not necessarily. If the streams are properly authored you need to check each "forced only" checkbox and usually end up with the one forced stream you need.
ok thanks mate