recommended work flow (mostly a subtitle question)

Everything related to MakeMKV
woody777

recommended work flow (mostly a subtitle question)

Post by woody777 »

Here's my goal:

1:1 original quality
main movie
best audio
English subs
forced subs

I have a small collection and don't mind a few extra steps to ensure that I get the above and that it will work in my player.

Most of that list is easy -- I understand subs can be a bit of a hassle.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1) rip using MakeMKV -- select ALL English subs
2) extract ALL English subs into their elementary streams using MKVextract
3) drop each sub into BDSup2Sub to check for forced subs and see which subs I want to keep
4) if needed, mux it all back together using MKVMerge

Does this sound like a good method? If so, do I check both English and Forced for each sub track? I've read the FAQ like 20 times and still don't understand how it works.

Thanks!
paulster

Re: recommended work flow (mostly a subtitle question)

Post by paulster »

That's about it.

If you select a forced track and there are any forced subtitles in it the track will get written to the MKV, otherwise it will be deleted if it ends up being empty.

So any forced tracks that you select and end up in the output MKV will definitely contain forced subs.

However, not every subtitle track has the subs flagged as forced, as it can use Java to switch the track on. So any subtitle tracks that are written to the output MKV that weren't selected as forced tracks need to be manually checked.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

This is similar to what I do.

The main issue with subs and forced subs is the player that you're using. I use XBMC which supports uncompressed PGS subtitles and the forced flag.

Some titles have multiple english subtitle tracks, e.g. English, English for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing and English commentary. Unless you select all english subs and then check them with BDSup2Sub you don't know which is which.

However, MakeMKV will indicate when there are forced subs and extract them into a separate subtitle track.

I use MKVCleaver to extract the subs from the MKV and then run them through BDSup2Sub. After checking them, I can then re-run MakeMKV to select which subtitle tracks I want to keep and discard the ones I don't.

I then enable (if necessary) and set to 'yes' the 'Default track' flag, the 'Track enabled' flag and the 'Forced display' flag for the forced track, if there is one, using the Header editor in mkvmerge. No re-muxing is necessary.

In XBMC, the forced track is automatically displayed and I can still view all of the English subtitles by turning those on, if I want.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Why re-run MakeMKV rather than muxing the 1st rip with MKVToolnix manually setting the proper flags?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
bw001

Post by bw001 »

I re-run MakeMKV on the first MKV rip that I did and select only the tracks that I want to keep.

I guess that's basically the same as what you're saying to do with MKVToolnix.

Since MakeMKV will now open and remux an MKV, I just use that.