Endless Trial?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
linuxfreakd

Endless Trial?

Post by linuxfreakd »

For some reason on Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12 so far for me) MakeMKV doesn't seem to count down the 30 day trial period. Just about every time I open it, it says the following:

"This functionality is shareware. You may evaluate it for 30 days after what you would need to purchase an activation key if you like the functionality. Do you want to start evaluation period now?"

(Side note: "...30 days after what you would need..." this line should read "... 30 days after *that* you would need...")

Perhaps the popup message is just static and it doesn't change.

I just reinstalled Linux today and installed MakeMKV so it is at the beginning of it's trial and says this in the log when I start:

"Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining"

Perhaps the popup message is static and the log will accurately reflect the number of days left. I will check it tomorrow and see if it is properly counting down. I will post my results tomorrow.

MakeMKV is excellent and I don't want to see them not get paid for all their hard work. I will be buying MakeMKV in about 3 weeks myself.
MI3Guy

Re: Endless Trial?

Post by MI3Guy »

It doesn't really matter too much. Since it is in beta there is a free beta key. I and others here have purchased it anyway because we want to support the development of this program.
Nmyeti

Post by Nmyeti »

I may have made a mistake. I installed the "beta key" which is going to expire tomorrow. I have just started playing with the program tonight. Is it likely that we'll have another beta key soon?
crs90

Post by crs90 »

You are right, I got the same problem.
The beta key stated in this forum is not valid anymore.

How I should proceed? :-/
jasonwc

Post by jasonwc »

There's a new key available good through June 29th.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Now that we are on July 1st (Happy Canada!) - we either need a new BETA key or instructions on how to purchase. I for one would be willing to purchase and get a legit key as I am about 5% through digitizing my DVD collection.

(by the way - the WD TV Live is worth every penny for streaming off a DLNA server like Serviio! I was fussing with having to re-encode my makemkv videos because LG players couldn't play mkv with mpeg2video and DTS sound, but no more with the WD Live.)
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well as I said, I like the program so I now have a registration code that is valid since I purchased it, but a new BETA code might be useful for others.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

jadrake wrote:Well as I said, I like the program so I now have a registration code that is valid since I purchased it, but a new BETA code might be useful for others.
It's already available (same thread as usual).
kingliam

Post by kingliam »

Romansh wrote:It's already available (same thread as usual).
Where is it available? I looked all over the forum, but the only one I could find was this one:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
which actually expired at the beginning of July and not the end, as it states.

Any thoughts?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

kingliam wrote:
Romansh wrote:It's already available (same thread as usual).
Where is it available? I looked all over the forum, but the only one I could find was this one:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
which actually expired at the beginning of July and not the end, as it states.
No, the key was updated.
kingliam

Post by kingliam »

Romansh wrote:No, the key was updated.
You are right! I tried using it yesterday, but I must have mis-copied it or something. It worked fine this time. Thank you!
dauhuber

Post by dauhuber »

As an alternative, you should think about considering to purchase a not expring license key to support the coders good work :wink: