Streaming issues with BD+ discs

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
eribas

Streaming issues with BD+ discs

Post by eribas »

I've been using the streaming function quite happily until now (MacOSX 10.6.8, MakeMKV 1.7.4, VLC 2.0.1).

Recently, however, certain Bluray discs do not want to stream (Dodgeball [Unrated], Alien Anthology [UK Edition], Spaceballs). One thing I noticed about these particular discs is they use BD+ and require a FUT. Ripping the movie to .mkv works successfully with all of these.

When I try to play the network stream in VLC (or Quicktime Player w/ Perian), this is what happens:
1. it takes a minute to load up the viewer with a black screen;
2. next, another minute passes before anything is visible;
3. the "video" is still, but all blocky and never progresses (I just don't wait past 5 minutes to see if anything else happens).

Is this a known issue with BD+ discs? Is there a workaround, specifically to make streaming work? (I don't have the storage space to rip all my movies, even recompressed with Handbrake).

[The only issue I've had previously is when the buffer runs low and then spins up the disc to refill there's a half- to one-second stutter in playback. I have 8GB of RAM, but the buffer setting in MakeMKV only goes to 1GB. Can this be increased somehow? And even so, would that fix it or is it simply a limitation w/ USB2? I notice the stutter only occurs with dual-layer Blurays].

Otherwise, keep up the great work with MakeMKV.
declan

Re: Streaming issues with BD+ discs

Post by declan »

I have this problem with Avatar Blu-ray. My problem is worse than yours. I get a black screen on the main film title, and nothing on the other title that it available. The transport bar moves but no video screen appears, you just have the VLC display of the titles to play, not the file playing. I am using a 2009 mac Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. 1Tb hard disk and 4Gb RAM. 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. I am using a LITON ATAPI eHBU212 2 Firmware: ZL01USB 3.0 Blu-Ray burner connected by USB 2.

I think the problem may be caused by VLC not being able to play the decrypted stream because there isn't enough processing power available? Maybe the decryption for BD+ disks is too much of a load?

Ripping works perfectly. Playing the disk in MacGo player is OK, although it did skip once.

Here are the MakeMKV debug logs and VLC logs.

I am using MakeMKV 1.7.6 BETA unregistered with DASPI that appears to be marginally faster than non DSSPI, although I am not sure. There seems to be very little info about this driver. The problems it purports to solve appear to be old, so is it really still necessary? Can it harm my drive?

Note that the MakeMKV log shows nothing, The streaming server is started and stopped. The problem occur in VLC.

Could the decryption be broken when streaming BD+ Blu-Rays?
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(490 Bytes) Downloaded 491 times
VLC Debug Log (2.0.2 Twoflower).rtfd.zip
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
dgktkr

Post by dgktkr »

I haven't found any of my small collection of bluray disks that stream reasonably to VLC 2.0.3. Symptoms are similar to what you two guys describe.

However, XBMC 11.0 does a good job on the disks I've tried, for the most part. I'm thinking that the pretty horrendous glitches in Alien
occur at the "seamless" branch locations, for instance, at around 8-9 minutes into the movie. If ripped by MakeMKV, the glitches don't show up.

So I haven't seen that MakeMKV 1.7.6 has problems with BD+. For some reason, VLC can't handle the stream data. With XBMC, Avatar runs at around 50% CPU capacity on a Mac Mini 5,1 (XBMC + MakeMKV).

dgktkr
declan

Post by declan »

I will have to try XBMC to see if it will work. I am involved in other stuff now, but when I have the time I will look into this. Good to know that this can work. It would be nice to know what is going wrong with VLC.
mo.mashi

Post by mo.mashi »

Hello my dear friends, I just joined the forum so that I may contribute to this conversation. If you are having stuttering issue with your playback, it means that your system can't decode and stream fast enough. All you have to do is increase the buffering to give MakeMKV some manouvering room. I tend to increase the default (1 second buffering time (1000ms) to 10 - 20 seconds and never experience any playback issues.) I've only started using MakeMKV stream instead of my PS3, so maybe I'll come across some issues as continue to use it.
oddjob 7

Post by oddjob 7 »

This is a little off topic but i wanted to ask if the MacGo BD player is any good? I would appreciate your feedback as I'm trying it on a trial at the moment. I find it strange that it can only play certain disc if it is connected this will make it hard to view movies while traveling... unless of course I back them up l first.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

oddjob 7 wrote:I find it strange that it can only play certain disc if it is connected this will make it hard to view movies while traveling... unless of course I back them up l first.
Because they can't decrypt blu-ray discs. And if you can't do it yourself, then you can always steal it.
They hack a version of MakeMKV (confirmed for Leavo / Aunsoft) or AnyDVD/DVDFab , and run it on their web server. When you insert the disc, they upload selected parts of your disc contents to the server in China, decrypt it there, and send the keys back. Unless you open a disc for which a key is already built-in into program. That's why you always need internet connection. And that's why you really buying a subscription.
oddjob 7

Post by oddjob 7 »

Thanks Mike