Change MakeMKV aspect ratio when ripping?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
aatrek

Change MakeMKV aspect ratio when ripping?

Post by aatrek »

I have some full-frame Blu-ray television shows that I'd like to rip without including the pillared black sidebars. Currently, MakeMKV will only rip at 1920x1080; is there a way to force the program to rip at any other resolution size? Full-frame Blu-rays are 1440x1080.
Romansh

Re: Change MakeMKV aspect ratio when ripping?

Post by Romansh »

MakeMKV is passthrough-only; it doesn't re-encode anything, it just changes the container (from a Blu-ray or DVD folder structure to MKV files). Thus it can't crop.
MI3Guy

Post by MI3Guy »

It could, however, set the MKV crop metadata. Sadly most players don't support it and some will crop improperly.
Q-the-STORM

Post by Q-the-STORM »

yeah you could set mkv crop, but it really wouldn't make any difference... like you said most players don't support it and it would only make sense on a full-frame display... and who watches movies on a full-frame display these days...

but there's something I got a problem with...
I ripped a bluray including extras, which are SD... video is 720x480 px, so normal NTSC resolution... BluRay has set Display Apect Ratio on 16:9 as it should be... makemkv has now changed DAR to 3:2 for some reason... would be nice to give the option to change DAR in makemkv.. should be easy to implement, too...