Blu-ray to MKV Process

Everything related to MakeMKV
AaronM

Blu-ray to MKV Process

Post by AaronM »

This maybe a newbie topic, but I have read the FAQ and executed some forum searches and cannot determine what I am doing incorrect.

I am trying to create an mkv for the blu-ray of "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" and I am having some issues. The issue is, I am able to rip the blu-ray to mkv, but I do not have any audio.

Here is what I am doing:
1. I have created a 'key' text file and saved the file to the directory where the mkv file is created.

2. Based on the information in the "doom9 forum thread", I found the "blu-ray key" for the film and added the value to the 'key' file.

3. MKV reads the disc and loads the ‘titles’.

4. For this disc, I am selecting “angle 1” (which contains 49 chapters).

5.At this point I have tried a number of different combinations for selecting the audio tracks:
- Only “DTS-HD Lossless English” selected
- Only "DTS 3/2+1 English" selected
- Only “DD 3/2+1 English” selected
- Both “DTS-HD Lossless English” and "DTS 3/2+1 English" selected
- Both “DTS-HD Lossless English” and “DD 3/2+1 English” selected
- Both "DTS 3/2+1 English" and “DD 3/2+1 English” selected

No matter which combination I have selected, the result is the same - crystal clear video but no audio.

Questions:
1. Is the process I am executing incorrect?

2. Am I selecting the correct audio track / combination of audio tracks?

3. Is this the result of having an incorrect "blu-ray key"? Note: If this is the case, assuming this does not violate the forum policy, can someone please point me to a set of software / forum post which discusses obtaining the "blu-ray key" from a disc?

I apologize in advance if I missed an existing post where this may have previously been discussd. Thanks for the assistance.
- Aaron
Romansh

Re: Blu-ray to MKV Process

Post by Romansh »

What are you using for playback?

Why do you need a key in the first place? Just point MakeMKV to the Blu-ray disc and it'll take care of decryption for you.
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Thanks for the response - I was going to post some additional information as well.

Currently, I am only running playback directly from my HTPC to the television (via HDMI). Could this be a possible codec / decoding issue? Again, I didn't think of mentioning this because other mkvs I have made have played fine with the "DD 3/2+1" track. Only with the blu-ray disc have I started trying to keep the 'DTS' track.

Also - so I am clear...I no longer need to use a text file with MakeMKV to store the blu-ray key, correct?

Thanks again.
- Aaron
twa000

Post by twa000 »

AaronM wrote:Thanks for the response - I was going to post some additional information as well.

Currently, I am only running playback directly from my HTPC to the television (via HDMI). Could this be a possible codec / decoding issue? Again, I didn't think of mentioning this because other mkvs I have made have played fine with the "DD 3/2+1" track. Only with the blu-ray disc have I started trying to keep the 'DTS' track.

Also - so I am clear...I no longer need to use a text file with MakeMKV to store the blu-ray key, correct?

Thanks again.
- Aaron
the whole point of Makemkv is to SIMPLY rip a bluray disc to mkv, with no changes to quality and no need for any other decryption software or keys.
If that is what you are trying to do, then just stick the disc in the DVD caddy and run Makemkv :)
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Thanks twa000 - that is great to know I do not need a "key file" anymore.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the audio playback issue?

Thanks again...
- Aaron
bw001

Post by bw001 »

AaronM wrote:Thanks twa000 - that is great to know I do not need a "key file" anymore.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the audio playback issue?

Thanks again...
- Aaron
Just to be clear, you never needed a "key file".

For your audio problem, either your hardware doesn't support the codec, or you don't have the right software installed to decode it.

Have you tried shark007 codec pack?
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Thanks bw001 - I didn't have the latest LAVFilters codecs installed. Once I installed those, I now have sound. Thanks Again.