The Avengers Blu-ray forced subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
bw001

The Avengers Blu-ray forced subtitles

Post by bw001 »

The third English subtitle track contains the 31 forced subtitles even though they're not marked as forced.

This is for the U.S. retail version of the disc.
crazynick15

Re: The Avengers Blu-ray forced subtitles

Post by crazynick15 »

Speaking about this movie> My copy im trying to back it up to my computer, and there are a 2 or 3 different titles to choose from.. Anyone have the correct one???? Thanks
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

How is it then that, as usual, Blu-ray players always seem to know?

If it wasn't for sometimes having to rip movies that contain foreign language many times before getting lucky enough to highlight the right track, I'd buy a beta key for Makemkv in a heart beat.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

crazynick15 wrote:Speaking about this movie> My copy im trying to back it up to my computer, and there are a 2 or 3 different titles to choose from.. Anyone have the correct one???? Thanks
Assuming you have the same retail version as I do, the correct playlist is 800.mpls with segment map 800 and duration of 2:22:54.

The other one that I see is 532.mpls with segment maps 888, 800. As far as I can tell 888 just adds 5 seconds of blank display.
lamski

Post by lamski »

I ripped my Avengers blu ray today and there were no subtitles as said earlier. I had to mux in the correct forced track and flag it as forced with mkvmerge to get it to show on its own in mpc-hc. Is everyone else doing this as well? I have not seen any talk about having to mux and flag the track as forced in any forums.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

lamski wrote:I have not seen any talk about having to mux and flag the track as forced in any forums.
IIRC this BD had no subs flagged as forced so you had to do it manually.
Ventura wrote:How is it then that, as usual, Blu-ray players always seem to know?
Good question. I'm not familiar with BD authoring (anyone have some info?) so I guess, it's done via navigational commands in the bdmv files. MakeMKV should probably be able to read from those in later versions (one would hope).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
lamski

Post by lamski »

Chetwood wrote:
lamski wrote:I have not seen any talk about having to mux and flag the track as forced in any forums.
IIRC this BD had no subs flagged as forced so you had to do it manually.
Ventura wrote:How is it then that, as usual, Blu-ray players always seem to know?
Good question. I'm not familiar with BD authoring (anyone have some info?) so I guess, it's done via navigational commands in the bdmv files. MakeMKV should probably be able to read from those in later versions (one would hope).
I believe this is the case as the first menu that pops up when the disc is inserted is the initial language selection screen, even before any previews. You probably then let the player know which track to force... I'm guessing.
paulster

Post by paulster »

The BD-J code on the discs can choose the subtitle stream depending on which language you have chosen.

Quite why they choose to do this sometimes rather than use the forced flag I don't know, but some discs are just done this way. And because it's in code MakeMKV can't read it.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Yet. Maybe Mike can code this. Of course I have no idea how complicated it would be.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Farcry1010

Post by Farcry1010 »

i use lav filters for audio, splitter source, and video and i use madvr for the renderer and i have to say this is the best combo ever. i Know im on a mkv site but i use .m2ts files and mpc hc is pretty easy to set up to. the problem with the avengers subtitles is that is not forced. what i do is that you can just toggle 's' while playing in mpc until you see the subtitles show up if you muxed it correctly with the right pgs stream. in tsmuxer it is the last english one. usually forced subs are a smaller size in kb's than the whole movie and thats how you can sometimes guess which is the forced ones or not. i use Suprip after the demux of course. so if you muxed it all together and you are using mpc hc just toggle with s. you can verify the subtitles are there is by right clicking on mpc, then filters, then lav splitter source you will see the one that says just english and pgs. that is the one that should be ticked. not the forced (auto) since there is no forced in this movie.
any other questions just ask :)