Expendables 2

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
canyonblue737

Expendables 2

Post by canyonblue737 »

The Expendables 2 Bluray shows 5 possible tracks for the movie, ranging from 14-16 chapters, and 21.2-21.4 GB. Has anyone tried ripping it yet and have found which track is the correct one? Thanks.
repstein

Re: Expendables 2

Post by repstein »

5? I show like 40.
nicholfd

Post by nicholfd »

Rental vs. Retail? Minimum length set differently?
repstein

Post by repstein »

Mine is retail, purchased via Amazon. These are all around the full length of the movie.

Randy
pfm555

Post by pfm555 »

i used the 2nd one with 16 chapters. if you play the movie the time is 1:42 the others even though less chapters i think are 1:43.
I did have an issue with this Blu ray that i was wondering if any one else had. I know i purchased the Blu ray version but it seems like i have a DVD version. There is no high def soundtrack only dolby digital and the picture is hazy like a DVD would be compared to a Blu ray.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@pfm555

Hi!
There is no high def soundtrack only dolby digital and the picture is hazy like a DVD would be compared to a Blu ray.

Perhaps you have NOT selected the correct .MPLS playlist file afterall.

As far as your concern that the video resolution may be that of a DVD (720x480 or 576) rather than hires (1920x1080), play the disc on your player and click on "Display"...

thinksinc

Post by thinksinc »

Looks like Expendables 2 is another example of Netflix (and probably other rental agencies) agreeing to rent out Blu-rays without the Lossless audio track. This has happened on a handful of discs so far (Hunger Games and more) and is a pretty abhorrent practice IMHO.

If you want Lossless audio, you can't rent the disc. You'll have to acquire a retail one.

-R
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@thinksinc

Hi!

What you mention is likely true, but "pfm555" clearly states:
I know i purchased the Blu ray version

Last edited by setarip_old on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOneAndOnly

Post by TheOneAndOnly »

The fundamental question still lies without a good answer. I have the Blu-Ray with digital copy and ultraviolet.. proof of purchase bar code 31398 16086 and I have 98 titles on the dick claiming (through MakeMKV) to be 25+ GB with run times from just over 141 minutes to just over 143 minutes. Obviously it is not just the computer or cloud versions but a protection device that lets tracks advertise themselves much longer than they are through some pice of code. This also occurred with the newest Three Musketeers.

The question is: can we determine the one without laboriously ripping each one, running it through a DTS to AC3 converter (if you AppleTV) an then encoding in Handbrake just to check each one... and I have noted that the scenes are scrambled out of order in some versions on a disk. Since the disk is only 50GB, there must be a way.

If it can't be determined... and HELP if you figured it out.... We should start a thread with the info on it so only a few of us must figure it out for any movie like this.

Perhaps the answer is in the Segment Map in the right hand pane of the interface.

That being said, I reiterate: "Help"
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

TheOneAndOnly wrote:Obviously it is not just the computer or cloud versions but a protection device that lets tracks advertise themselves much longer than they are through some pice of code.
No, they really all are that long. Each playlist is a collection of many M2TS files, each in a different order. Only one or two playlist(s) have the movie in the correct order though.
TheOneAndOnly wrote:We should start a thread with the info on it so only a few of us must figure it out for any movie like this.
There is already one. On AVSForum, I think. AnyDVD will also show what it thinks are the correct playlist(s), and if I am not mistaken this is a planned feature for MakeMKV as well (not ready yet).
Last edited by Romansh on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Walker

Post by Jon Walker »

Also have an Amazon purchased disc (0-31398-16086-1) and on my system (Mac), title 55 (second of the two files listed as 1 hour 42 minutes and 41 seconds) appears to be the correct one with segments in correct order and "Forced only" English subtitles present under the "Foreign Audio Search" option.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

(From what I've read elsewhere) Try either MPLS 609 or 684 (May be for purchased versions or other versions)...
tab72

Post by tab72 »

The problem I am having with The Expendables 2 is I have about 40 titles and all are either 15 to 16 chapters all in a range of 24.0 to 25.8 gigs so far each one I rip skips chapters going from the end, start, or middle of the film. It is region A disc. Just to note I did find one title that was listed different which was a 25.0 gigs put still skipped chapters.
Jon Walker

Post by Jon Walker »

The problem I am having with The Expendables 2 is I have about 40 titles and all are either 15 to 16 chapters all in a range of 24.0 to 25.8 gigs so far each one I rip skips chapters going from the end, start, or middle of the film.
As recommended above, try MPLS 609 (listed as Title 55 in MakeMKV on my system) for US BD/DVD combo release.
jaark

Post by jaark »

I have the UK retail release (5-060223-768465). I see over 90!! potential candidates for the actual movie :( - but I do have lossless audio :)

I can't find anything definitive on how to identify the correct MPLS file. My current plan is to 'backup' the disk and play it with VLC, hopefully that will reveal which track it is using. Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is this likely to work?