cant remove covers (attachments) from bluray

Everything related to MakeMKV
scph9002

cant remove covers (attachments) from bluray

Post by scph9002 »

I got this bluray that I muxed, everything vent fine, I got the main title and the dts-hd track as a wanted.

BUT when i deselected the check box "attachment", or more correctly it was already deselected from the start and it contains a picture called cover.jpg which is the cover art for the movie it is still there after I've muxed the movie, I can see it in media info when I open the movie in vlc.

I know the cover art is from the file and not from some website vlc have fetched it form because I can successfully remove the cover art with mkvmerge.

So yeah, why doesn't makemkv remove the coverart (attachment) even when it is deselected?
setarip_old

Re: cant remove covers (attachments) from bluray

Post by setarip_old »

@spcph9002

Hi!
when i deselected the check box "attachment"
Are you talking about MakeMKV or some other program?

scph9002

Post by scph9002 »

setarip_old wrote:@spcph9002

Hi!
when i deselected the check box "attachment"
Are you talking about MakeMKV or some other program?

yes.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Setarip_old, have you upgraded to 1.7.10?

SC
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

On 12/24/11, "mike admin" posted the following:
mike admin Post subject: Re: Including pictures or synopsis in a mkvPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:55 am

MakeMKV doesn't attach cover art now. It's a planned feature. For now, you can attach covert art picture from blu-ray folder BDMV/META/DL into produced MKV file by hand, there are plenty of tools.

Are you referring to attachments that you've created manually?

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Smithcraft

I haven't yet installed it - And I have a strong suspicion that I'll be totally embarrassed as soon as I do so, right? ;>}

Revision history
MakeMKV v1.7.10 ( 2.1.2013 )
Improved handling for DVD discs with mastering errors
Many miscellaneous improvements

Likely one of the "many miscellaneous improvements"...

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Yeah, miscellaneous improvements. Not!

It lost my registration, dumped all my preferences and now there are these attachments that I don't want included. Oh, and by default, it wants to write to a drive that isn't hooked up.

Skip it, and wait for the next one.

SC

ps - The attachment doesn't show up in mkvtoolnix! :evil:

pps - It appears that Handbrake ignores the attachment, so that's good.
scph9002

Post by scph9002 »

Please stay on topic

Edit: removed unnecessary rage
Last edited by scph9002 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Well, the reason for the confusion (as far as I can tell) is that this attachment feature has just appeared in the most recent version of MakeMKV. That's why he didn't know that you were talking about MakeMKV. Till just the other day, I don't think we had this feature.

Anyway, Mike may have to comment on this one, since if you deselect something, then it shouldn't appear in the MKV file. There's no reason I can possibly think of as to why it would still be getting muxed in...
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
scph9002

Post by scph9002 »

ryanjk333 wrote:Well, the reason for the confusion (as far as I can tell) is that this attachment feature has just appeared in the most recent version of MakeMKV. That's why he didn't know that you were talking about MakeMKV. Till just the other day, I don't think we had this feature.

Anyway, Mike may have to comment on this one, since if you deselect something, then it shouldn't appear in the MKV file. There's no reason I can possibly think of as to why it would still be getting muxed in...
Ah I see.

Sorry for the cynical outburst btw, I had just woken up from a powernap and Im always a bit grumpy when recently awaken :/

Anyways, It seem to be a bug in that case. Not sure if its present on all blurays and hddvd's but the the batman bluray still retain its cover.jpg (attachment) after muxing when deselecting the checkbox "attachment".
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is a new feature in 1.7.10, and yes, this is a confirmed bug - attachment is always embedded, even if un-selected. While this obviously will be fixed in the next version, the cover image attachment data is usually very small (few kilobytes) and should not create any problems.
fryk.

Post by fryk. »

You can remove all attachments with the use of mkvtoolnix.

The following batch script removes all attachments from "input.mkv" (windows only):

Code: Select all

@echo off &setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
for /f "tokens=3 delims=: " %%i in ('mkvmerge --ui-language en -i "input.mkv" ^| findstr /i /c:"Attachment"') do set "cmd=!cmd! --delete-attachment %%i"
mkvpropedit --ui-language en "input.mkv" !cmd!
scph9002

Post by scph9002 »

fryk. wrote:You can remove all attachments with the use of mkvtoolnix.

The following batch script removes all attachments from "input.mkv" (windows only):

Code: Select all

@echo off &setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
for /f "tokens=3 delims=: " %%i in ('mkvmerge --ui-language en -i "input.mkv" ^| findstr /i /c:"Attachment"') do set "cmd=!cmd! --delete-attachment %%i"
mkvpropedit --ui-language en "input.mkv" !cmd!
I dont like mkvtoolnix. It does some weird stuff with my mkv's making them extremely sluggish when skip forwarding even though I got a 4.5ghz core i5, 7970 and the movie stored on an ocz vertex 3 ssd. :?

Anyway it seems this is a knows issue and I guess it will be fixed in makemkv soon.
B0bby

Post by B0bby »

I ran into this bug and traced my way back to here. If I deselect the cover art from MakeMKV, it still embeds it in the resulting file. I've used Mkvtoolnix in an attempt to remove the cover art from the file, but it doesn't show there is cover art embedded in the resulting file from MakeMKV. Yet, the cover art is somehow still there and over-rides any cover art I place in the folder for my media player.

Still, MakeMKV is a great program. I use it regularly. Thank you.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

MKVToolnix rules and yes, I can remove attachments with it.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch