Handbrake can't see subtitles from makeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Smithcraft

Re: Handbrake can't see subtitles from makeMKV?

Post by Smithcraft »

Same thing with mkvtoolnix. You just have to hope that the last developed version isn't full of bugs.

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Smithcraft wrote:Same thing with mkvtoolnix. You just have to hope that the last developed version isn't full of bugs.
Mkvtoolnix uses wxWidgets, AFAIK. Plus the GUI is being re-written, if I am not mistaken. Not sure what framework will be used then.

I've been considering providing my own (Mac) builds should the current third-party maintainer discontinue his builds, but it hasn't come to that yet.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Regardless of what elements are used, if such a thing were to happen, and nobody did step up as you are considering, then it would be the same.

Pretty much the same when an developer stops supporting something. You just have to hope the last version works as long as possible.

SC
thelegume

Post by thelegume »

The nightly builds of Handbrake now include support for Bitmap subtitles (the ones you get from MakeMKV BR rips). I have been using these nightly builds for a few weeks to encode my rips from MakeMKV and they seem to work just fine. As Handbrake only rolls their updates into an official version once or twice a year, it might be a while before this appears in the official build, but it can be downloaded from here in the meantime: https://build.handbrake.fr
bertrand

Post by bertrand »

It works now in the official version. YAY!!! :D
ToxicDreamz

Post by ToxicDreamz »

The nightlies have worked with Blu-ray subs for some time now. The nightlies have been pretty darn stable for me as well.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

ToxicDreamz wrote:The nightlies have worked with Blu-ray subs for some time now. The nightlies have been pretty darn stable for me as well.
Welcome to last week! The stable release (0.9.9) also features PGS subtitle support now :P
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Romansh wrote:Welcome to last week! The stable release (0.9.9) also features PGS subtitle support now :P
Did the new release drop support for the GUI generating batch files, like the Nightly Builds did last July? I stopped updating when they did that, because it broke my work flow completely.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

If the nightlies did, then yes. The reason for the drop is that the WinGUI is (slowly) moving away from being a HandBrakeCLI wrapper to using libhb directly (and also because the WinGUI was rewritten from the ground up and this wasn't considered worth re-implementing).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Disappointing... I have not had good luck with .NET-based stuff. The reason I went to just having HB write batch files was that they didn't crash because .NET couldn't write a log file that wasn't requested in the first place. :roll:

Well, that, and the fact that I can modify a batch file with a text editor to handle dozens of files with similar audio/subtitle settings a lot quicker than I can have HB go through the menu items, which get reset each time you load a new file.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Strange, I consider batch ripping one of the top features for any such tool.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can still do batch ripping with Handbrake for Windows, but the GUI can only batch through the GUI, and the "queue" files it generates are useless for the Command Line Interface. You're either "all in" for the GUI, or "all in" for the CLI.

My work flow for some projects HAS to go through a batch file. When ripping a series that comes on a BD/DVD combo pack, I will take the subtitles from the DVDs and combine them with the video/audio from the BD. But, if the DVD has the episodes packaged differently than the BD (one file with 7 episodes on the DVD, 9 individual episodes on the BD), everything runs through multiple programs to do the extraction, re-mux, and then full encoding.

With the new versions of Handbrake, the GUI has become useless for setting that up, so I might as well chuck it out the window and just hand construct the command lines for the CLI.

Of course, there's the little issue of the CLI options only being documented fully for the release version, so going with a nightly build to get a feature missing from the release version means a lot of guessing.... I really detest the way the NB page will ONLY show you changes made in the last three builds, so it is a "treasure hunt" to find information on changes that are more than 3 days old!
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

How about trying Hybrid? I've only tried its GUI so far but it seems really flexible.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

What is your hybrid suggestion? The GUI doesn't do what it used to do, then how would you use that with the CLI?

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:Of course, there's the little issue of the CLI options only being documented fully for the release version
You mean https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide? It's not even up-to-date for the current release.

The real documentation is:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI.exe --help
…which is kept as up-to-date as possible.