Workflow to build a digital movie collection

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jorgeelizondom

Workflow to build a digital movie collection

Post by Jorgeelizondom »

Hi,
I'm trying to learn the process/workflow necessary to build a digital movie collection. I will be storing the files on a NAS server and would like to use a media streamer for playback; no HTPC.

So far, I've learned that the first step is to rip the movies from my DVD/BDs using makeMVK.
Then Im supposed to transcode to an appropriate format for playback on a media streamer using handbrake or similar.

Questions:
What format to use for playback? I'd like something of medium quality for the kids DVDs and something high quality for my DVD/BDs.

What media players/streamers have the best playback quality? I'm considering WD TV but I don't know about its pb quality.

Do I need any other steps in the workflow to end up with a movie wall to be displayed in the media streamer?

Do I need the MVK files after transcoding to the playback format? Or can I erase them?

Is there an online tutorial somewhere? Can you point me to it?

Any other pointers that you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Smithcraft

Re: Workflow to build a digital movie collection

Post by Smithcraft »

What you need to do next is figure out what the hardware you are going to use is going to support.

If it supports the files straight from MakeMKV, then all you need is the storage. If it has limitations, then you have to figure out what they are and that determines your workflow.

SC
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

I would look for a hardware player that will support MPEG2, VC-1, H.264, TrueHD, multi-channel LPCM and/or flac, and DTS-HD MA in an mkv file. That should cover all DVD and Bluray rips. Then, you won't need to transcode anything - saving time, and keeping the full quality.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And, when choosing the hardware players, make sure they're all the same for all locations. Different brands may claim to support all the same things, but there are subtle differences that will cause you frustration.

If you can't get the same type for all places (say, you're still trying to figure out what meets your needs), you REALLY want players that support regular network shares, if you can. DLNA is a farce. When it works, it works OK. When it doesn't, you'll be told that "we are DLNA certified!", and they won't be lying. The standard is so open to interpretation that even the file name extension makes a difference between "certified" devices being able to see and play the same files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Jorgeelizondom

Post by Jorgeelizondom »

THANKS to all... I guess it makes sense to choose the hardware first.
robpdotcom wrote:I would look for a hardware player that will support MPEG2, VC-1, H.264, TrueHD, multi-channel LPCM and/or flac, and DTS-HD MA in an mkv file...
What are my best options for HW that support the above formats, plus regular network shares, as recommended?
I don't need the player to be good with external services as Netflix etc. I'm covered in that front.

Thanks again for your help
kylethedude

Post by kylethedude »

I have had a WD TV Live Hub for about 2 years and I have never had a playback problem. It's my favorite piece of technology besides for my computer. My media collection is in a whole slew of formats too. Here are the specs for the WD TV(NTSC) -
  • Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
    Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
    Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
    Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
    Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI
Note:
  • MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
    WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
    H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
Source (If your in a PAL region go to that link and choose the PAL specs)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My personal experience includes devices not currently offered (Asus O-Play!, Seagate) and some that are (Uebo M100 and M400). Of them, the O-Play is actually the one that supports the most formats that I use, but the Uebo M400 is the one attached to my primary TV.

Some of the things Uebo claims for their units (streaming Netflix and similar services) only work if you have an external proxy for it, or under special circumstances (play Bluray PGS subtitles, but only if you're playing unencrypted M2ts files, not MKVs). But, generally, it plays MKV and MP4 files over regular networking, MP4 over DLNA, and can even act as a media server (both DLNA and several other standards) if you attach storage to it.

(The M100 is more a portable device, with no built-in network interface; I use it with a projector on the road)

Others will have to tell you the virtues of units like the Boxee and Western Digital units.

I'm also looking at some Android "plug-in" computers to turn a TV into a big-screen tablet...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging