20 gb in makemkv and 23 gb in dvdfab. 3 gb?

Everything related to MakeMKV
srahulbose

20 gb in makemkv and 23 gb in dvdfab. 3 gb?

Post by srahulbose »

Can you please help me understand the file size difference?

I purchased Lion King and used makemkv and dvdfab to compare the files. Both produce excellent images.

But I am confused because of the difference in file sizes of the title video :
1. Original file in BR : 25 GB
2. DVDFab : 23 gb - default (mkv.remux)
3. MakeMKV : 20 gb

I understand there is zero compress to audio and video. Then, why is the makeMKV file not 25 gb? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.
Rahul
fryk.

Re: 20 gb in makemkv and 23 gb in dvdfab. 3 gb?

Post by fryk. »

Try to remux one of your MKVs with MKVToolnix (or an other MKV muxer) and you get a third file size. This is normal. MKV is not ZIP or RAR. See http://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

By default, MakeMKV does not copy audio streams that are in the same language. So if you have a main audio stream that is English, MakeMKV will not copy the other English streams, like any commentary streams. That is the only thing I can think of.

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Smithcraft wrote:By default, MakeMKV does not copy audio streams that are in the same language. So if you have a main audio stream that is English, MakeMKV will not copy the other English streams, like any commentary streams. That is the only thing I can think of.

SC
Also, IIRC the default track selection profile only keeps the core audio, not the lossless substream.
HolgiB

Post by HolgiB »

Rahul,

simply using a different version of a MKV muxer may produce significant file size differences.
You can simply demux both MKV files to raw streams by using MVKExtract and compare both the number of stream and their corresponding sizes.

HTH,
Holger