VOB to MKV to MP4/M4V

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Archivist

VOB to MKV to MP4/M4V

Post by Archivist »

Hi all, newbie here and perhaps not right place, but love MKV for my BluRay Discs! :D

I have a number of VOB 'ripped' DVD movies on a Linux File Server and need to convert them to MP4/M4V files for my Mac Mini (late 2012). It actually plays the MKV file beautifully almost better than the BluRay itself, but obviously in this format does not work for my ATV2 or ATV3 etc. I've looked for a decent program to convert MKV (or VOB) files but nothing has worked very well and generally only for 1-5 attempts.

What has been the "best/easiest" converter and/or batch program that has been found with the least data loss or am I missing the "boat"? :?

Appreciate any help - MKV is awesome!
PS - it's now coming up with your trial has expired but is still continuing after saying ok. Is that normal?

Dave
Woodstock

Re: VOB to MKV to MP4/M4V

Post by Woodstock »

Go to handbrake.fr and download Handbrake. You will want to go with the "Nightly Builds" version when you start dealing with files from BDs (especially if subtitles are involved), but the release version will get you started.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
eribas

Post by eribas »

Yes, Handbrake is extensively used freeware and is "clean" (if you're referring to malware?).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So clean and free you can download the source code and look through it, if you are so inclined, compile it from source if you don't trust the executables that are already there, and even participate in the development if you have the talent to do so.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging