Problems with Samsung SE-506 BB

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sunstarfire

Post by sunstarfire »

Good morning,

I ran into trouble with my Samsung SE-506BB (an external USB2.0/3.0 Bluray Burner) and makemkv. Actually, when I was trying to rip a DVD, makemkv told me that the DVD I was trying to rip probably used a newer AACS key and thus could not be saved. I read around a bit, and then found that makemkv 1.7.7 should rip DVDs. So I installed that, but since then I got error messages that my drive is blocking the host certificate for AACS and thus the BR could not be ripped (even other ones and such BDs, that I have ripped before).

Now I am at a loss. Should I reinstall 1.8.0 and wait for an AACS fix? I read somewhere that the host thing could happen if you installed an older version of makemkv, which then blocks the drive completely, and it was recommended to uninstall makemkv, make sure no processes are running anymore, and then reinstall it.

Any experiences with that drive? Or that error message? The movie I was trying to rip btw is a German one, called "Bavaria" by Joseph Vilsmaier. It's pretty new, so it seems kinda logical that it uses a new AACS version.

Thanks for any input :)

ss
Woodstock

Re: Problems with Samsung SE-506 BB

Post by Woodstock »

If you're talking about AACS, you're talking Bluray, not DVD. And, if a disk you recently ripped has a newer version of AACS than MakeMKV supports, it is possible the disk told your drive to disable the keys MakeMKV uses. This is what happened to anyone who tried ripping Total Recall; their drives stopped working on ALL BDs, unless you were running the latest version of MakeMKV (at least 1.7.9 or later).

So yes, you should try reinstalling either 1.7.10 or 1.8.0, because 1.7.7 probably will no longer talk to the BD reader for BD disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ToxicDreamz

Post by ToxicDreamz »

Woodstock wrote:If you're talking about AACS, you're talking Bluray, not DVD. And, if a disk you recently ripped has a newer version of AACS than MakeMKV supports, it is possible the disk told your drive to disable the keys MakeMKV uses. This is what happened to anyone who tried ripping Total Recall; their drives stopped working on ALL BDs, unless you were running the latest version of MakeMKV (at least 1.7.9 or later).

So yes, you should try reinstalling either 1.7.10 or 1.8.0, because 1.7.7 probably will no longer talk to the BD reader for BD disks.
Wow... that's some pretty shady side effects with Total Recall. I just ripped that one recently with 1.8, but all is still working okay. Sheesh.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's the nature of the BD specification - if you want the certification, you have to put in the DRM parts. And Total Recall just happened to be one of the newer disks popular enough to get ripped by people around here.

According to MakeMKV, the highest AACS my BDs have had was 23. Guess I don't like popular stuff! :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

It might be a power issue, but nobody seems to want to report back after direct powering, or using a powered hub.

Also, while it might seem logical that a new disc of a popular movie would use a newer AACS, that is not the case at times. The Dark Knight Rises would be my example. It should have had something like v34 or v35, but had something much older.

SC
richdmoore

Post by richdmoore »

I have one of these drives. At first I used a 7 port hub, but had intermittent problems. I next tried to directly plug into my imac, and it worked fine. I finally purchased a belkin 4 port hub with AC power, and just use it (attached to the 7 port hub) to power just the bluray drive.

I think the samsung drive is very particular about it's power requirements. I would have done much better with a external powered drive, but I didn't think about power issues, I didn't realize it was bus powered only.

I guess I got Samsung'd......
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Thank you for letting us know!

SC