Problems ripping Up DVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
jabster

Problems ripping Up DVD

Post by jabster »

Hi.

I ripped the Up DVD (US region), and while I did get a file that plays back, it freezes up for maybe 1/2 a second every so often during the movie. Maybe every minute or so (haven't timed the whole thing). It is watchable (especially for the kids), but it is obviously kind of annoying.

I ripped it with 1.4.10 on linux.

I'm assuming that Disney changed the encryption method again somehow (kinda like they did with the Cars DVD*), and that I just need to wait awhile until you guys figure out the new scheme?

thanks,
-john

* I was never able to get a good rip of Cars until I recently tried with MakeMKV.
Danger

Re: Problems ripping Up DVD

Post by Danger »

Actually it?s to do with the angles not the protection. I?ve got this problem on
all my movies that have angles mainly Disney/Pixar ones. Would be great if this
was fixed, sure the kids don?t mind but to me it?s very annoying. Up is definately
one of the worst. You can tell it?s the angles as well if you just watch where it
hiccups. Basically it?s anytime where there is any print in the movie. The newspaper
frames, the UP title, Elly?s scrapbook... etc. The hiccup is because of the
pasted in angle, in my case the English ones, which are not smoothly done.
I?ve yet been able to get them smooth.

I?ve got another issue with MakeMKV but it?s minor and should be in it?s
own thread ;)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

If, in fact, the problem lies with angles (and it does, if I remember correctly), after MakeMKV has done its initial analysis, there should be two or three APPARENTLY identical full-movie-sized titles listed. These would typically be the English, French and Spanish versions of the movie (visible aspect, nothing to do with audio or subtitles). Selecting just one should result in smooth playback.

Perhaps a new bug regarding this has been created in v.4.11...
Danger

Post by Danger »

Actually I've had this problem since v1.4.09. Which is the version when I started using
MakeMKV. 300+ movies and as far as I can tell all the ones with multiple angles have
the slight pause which is as I said pretty much all the Disney/Pixar movies.
jabster

Post by jabster »

setarip_old,

I did see that there were several angles (3 I believe) with Up, and, since I really don't care to watch all those extra angles, etc, I only selected the first title, and got rid of all the subtitles and audio languages besides english. Still getting the freezing every so often.

Whether it's other movies or not, Up is the only one i've noticed, even among other Pixar movies. And I have all of them except the Incredibles.

-john
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I can only speak from my personal experience - and that is, with regard to "Up!" specifically ( and, thanks to my grandchildren, myriad other Disney and Pixar releases with multi-angles), I've not observed any such delays, neither consistent nor sporadic. My backup videos are played only on standalone players or directly on PCs.

I will say that from what I've been reading at other forums, it appears that the addition of intermediate hardware and/or streaming setups may be a contributing factor to this new anomaly that's been noted by a few posters regarding BluRays...
Danger

Post by Danger »

setarip_old wrote:
I will say that from what I've been reading at other forums, it appears that the addition of intermediate hardware and/or streaming setups may be a contributing factor to this new anomaly that's been noted by a few posters regarding BluRays...
Just to clarify, nobody here said anything about BluRays, we're talking DVD as said in the title. And yes
I am doing the conversion from DVD to MKV to play on my TV using a WDTV HD Media Player. However
UP plays exactly the same on my computer as it does on the WDTV Player.
jabster

Post by jabster »

Danger & setarip_old,

Do other Pixar movies have those angles in them that cause the stuttering? "Up" is the first time I've noticed the multiple angle titles after MakeMKV scans the disc. Did versions prior to v1.4.09 not scan or detect the multiple angles? All my other DVDs have been ripped with a version of MakeMKV before 1.4.09 (I've unfortunately erased all the old versions tho...bummer), and none of them stutter like "Up" does. But I can't say if any of them have multiple angles. I suppose I could dig out the cases and look....could one of you maybe tell me another Pixar film with angles I'll put it back in and see what happens when MakeMKV scans it?

-john
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@danger
Just to clarify, nobody here said anything about BluRays, we're talking DVD as said in the title
My apologies - Please ignore my other posts to this thread (Although they may prove to be applicable to DVD playback as well)...
Danger

Post by Danger »

jabster wrote:Danger & setarip_old,

Do other Pixar movies have those angles in them that cause the stuttering? "Up" is the first time I've noticed the multiple angle titles after MakeMKV scans the disc. Did versions prior to v1.4.09 not scan or detect the multiple angles? All my other DVDs have been ripped with a version of MakeMKV before 1.4.09 (I've unfortunately erased all the old versions tho...bummer), and none of them stutter like "Up" does. But I can't say if any of them have multiple angles. I suppose I could dig out the cases and look....could one of you maybe tell me another Pixar film with angles I'll put it back in and see what happens when MakeMKV scans it?
-john
Since I still have all my movies ripped to my HD, I went through them checking for which ones actually had
angles. After that I checked to see if any of those are displaying the same behavior. The problem seems to
be only with UP. About less than half I think of the Pixar/Disney movies of mine actually have angles, not as
I mentioned earlier "pretty much all Disney/Pixar" movies. Sorry about that.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Did the list of Titles contain several of the same or approximately the same running time? If so, as opposed to either multi-angles or seamless joins, some of them may be part of the protection scheme.

You might want to try each of them...
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@jabster

You are using Linux for ripping and a WDTV for playback (You stated in another post).

Your difficulty may be related to either or both.

I really think you should repost your problems in the Linux-specific sub-forum here - After all, that's why we have it ;>}
jabster

Post by jabster »

OK. Fine. :)

Considering that I've had trouble ripping other Disney/Pixar movies (Cars & Tinkerbell spring to mind), regardless of ripping method (makemkv, mplayer, etc), I figured it was a general question. Especially since a later version of makemkv ripped both just fine whereas mplayer still has problems with them.

Oddly enough Wall-e I had no problems with (using makemkv).

Maybe "general" should be renamed to "windows beta discussion." :)

-john
Danger

Post by Danger »

RE: Linux & WDTV

I don't see this as a Linux problem or WDTV for that matter as I am
running Win7 Ultimate (x64) and using the resulting UP mkv has the same
issues playing on my rig as it does on the WDTV.

Has anybody been able to successfully convert the UP DVD (not BR) to MKV
without the annoying half second pauses?
starburst

Post by starburst »

Danger wrote:RE: Linux & WDTV

I don't see this as a Linux problem or WDTV for that matter as I am
running Win7 Ultimate (x64) and using the resulting UP mkv has the same
issues playing on my rig as it does on the WDTV.

Has anybody been able to successfully convert the UP DVD (not BR) to MKV
without the annoying half second pauses?
I somehow did UP DVD to MKV and had no problems...Region 1 disc