MKV file sizes

Everything related to MakeMKV
DragonEmperor

MKV file sizes

Post by DragonEmperor »

Hi,

I just joined and started using MakeMKV. I have several issues/questions:

1, Reading the MakeMKV website, I thought that MakeMKV would reduce Blu-Ray movies to a smaller size. I have used MakeMKV on several movies: Good Luck Chuck, Alvin and the Chipmunks, etc. and found that the .mkv file size was not reduced from the original .m2ts file size. Am I doing something wrong? or is there a setting that I did not set? I have used a trial version of pavTube Blu-Ray Ripper and converter to MKV on these same movies and it reduces the Blu-Ray file to about 30% of the original size. The MKV specs says that file sizes should be reduced to about 40% of the original.

2, I found that playing back MakeMKV files has audio and video dropouts through any player that I used (Windows Media Player, MPlayer, etc.). The files produced by pavTube played smoother but there are still video dropouts. Is there something wrong with my settings?
setarip_old

Re: MKV file sizes

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
found that the .mkv file size was not reduced from the original .m2ts file size.
This is as it should be, since MakeMKV does not compress any files.

Although I personally doubt the "40% smaller than BluRay" statement, the following concept is valid:

Due to the comparatively large overhead required for a BluRay "package", an .MKV file containing only "Movie A", should be smaller than a BluRay "package" containing only the same "Movie A" (including all BluRay-required files and folders)
DragonEmperor

Post by DragonEmperor »

If this is the case, then there is no real reason to convert .m2ts files to .mkv files. It looks like MakeMKV is basically a ripper.

I am developing a Media Server to contain HD movies ripped from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. So, I am looking for a solution to reduce the size of the movie file but still retain the video quality (1080P) and the surround audio. Is there any solution for this?
starburst

Post by starburst »

DragonEmperor wrote:If this is the case, then there is no real reason to convert .m2ts files to .mkv files. It looks like MakeMKV is basically a ripper.

I am developing a Media Server to contain HD movies ripped from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. So, I am looking for a solution to reduce the size of the movie file but still retain the video quality (1080P) and the surround audio. Is there any solution for this?
Quite Correct!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

BD Rebuilder...
starburst

Post by starburst »

DragonEmperor wrote:If this is the case, then there is no real reason to convert .m2ts files to .mkv files. It looks like MakeMKV is basically a ripper.

I second BD Rebuilder Beta! Great APPz!