How make backup MKVs of my total discs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rajmahid

How make backup MKVs of my total discs?

Post by rajmahid »

I recently downloaded the trial version of your excellent program, and have been experimenting with backing up a few of SD movies that I own, some of them from .iso files I created with ImgBurn, some from the original DVDs. I wanted to test the results. I noticed that MakeMKV does not create the full disc, with menus -- some are separate MKVs. Is this what I can expect when I back up some of my other movies? I just ordered a blu-ray DVD burner/player for my PC and will also experiment with creating backups of my BD movies with MakeMKV before I purchase the program.

Once again, my question: is it not possible to have a MKV of the entire disc (including menus), both with SD and BD movies?

So far, MakeMKV works perfectly and amazingly fast! but no menus. Am I missing something? I have searched the forum, but so many posts, I haven't found my answer.

Thank you!
setarip_old

Re: How make backup MKVs of my total discs?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As far as I know, the Matroska ("MKV") container does not presently support menus...
rajmahid

Post by rajmahid »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

As far as I know, the Matroska ("MKV") container does not presently support menus...
Thanks much for your response! Yes, unfortunately after much searching on the forum, I discovered the mkv container doesn't support menus. (: Not a big problem with backup SD discs, but for BD it seems to be essential (at least to me).

PS: Is there perhaps another lossless container or codec that retains the menus? MP4, AVI, MPEG?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

No.

SC
Q-the-STORM

Post by Q-the-STORM »

the reason someone remuxes BDs to mkv is that they don't want to have menus...
If you want to e.g. strip foreign audio lines and extras etc and keep BD structure, therefore menus, there are a lot of other tools for that...
Fawkes

Post by Fawkes »

hi,

why not using the button or switch "backup", that copy's all the files from disc and with xbmc its possible to replay with the index.bdmv (menu support is extremly slim to non)
it's also possible to create a iso from this "title set" (that how the file structure is named with dvd's, not shure if for bluray a different name is usual)
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Because it's called MakeMKV and there are already several ripping tools that keep a disc's structure.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch