3D playback inferior quality

Everything related to MakeMKV
kakkalla

3D playback inferior quality

Post by kakkalla »

I originally used DVDFab for ripping my BD to my drives. Until I discovered MakeMKV. Makemkv is so much better.

With my 3D Blu-ray Discs, I used DVDFab to clone the disc as an iso. This however chews up a lot of space.

Yesterday, I decided to use Makemkv to test the ripping of Ice Age 4 3D. I chose the Title with the 3D MVC and ripped it.

I played it back using PowerDVD 13 and noticed that it was not as good as video played back from the disc in PowerDVD. I did a "blind" study with a couple of family members and they all picked up the difference in the quality. I didn't tell them which was playing, the disc or the ripped file.

So my question is: why is there a difference in the quality? I thought that Makemkv would "clone" the video file so the quality would remain. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. While the ripping of just the movie saves hard disk space, the loss of quality doesn't make it worthwhile. So it looks like I'll have to keep cloning the disc using DVDFab.

Any suggestions? Please excuse incorrect use of terms as I am new to this.
doncht

Re: 3D playback inferior quality

Post by doncht »

For me, it's not really 100% replica of the original DVD, maybe just 99% of it. By the way, what version do you currently have on?
kakkalla

Post by kakkalla »

The latest version of both DVDFab and Makemkv.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

If there's a difference, it's the player's fault. Maybe PowerDVD is changing some settings behind your back when you play the mkv.
kakkalla

Post by kakkalla »

Thanks for the reply.

I never thought of that and it is an excellent point. Any ideas as to how to go about determining that it IS in fact the player?

Thanks again.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

kakkalla wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I never thought of that and it is an excellent point. Any ideas as to how to go about determining that it IS in fact the player?

Thanks again.
Well I cannot help you on what PowerDVD may or may not be doing, but I have both bluray players (Onkyo/Dune) and media players (Dune/Mede8er) and having played both original disc's and ISO/MKV rips through identical systems (Onkyo amp to Panasonic plasma), I cannot see any difference in quality........... its just easier with an MKV (in my opinion) providing you have a good jukebox system.

So if you are seeing a difference, then my take is that Powerdvd is not handling the mkv correctly.
kakkalla

Post by kakkalla »

I've just looked up what Mede8er is.

As you have guessed, I use a PC to play back the ripped files through my amp and into the TV. Hence I am at the mercy of the software giants like Cyberlink.

1. What I mean by inferior quality is the "depth" perception of the 3D play back. For example, in the opening segment where the scene is over the sea heading to where the island is and the Fox writing comes up, and then the next bit of writing comes up, the scenes are not as 3D as they are when playing off my original BD disc.

2. If you don't mind, with your setup, does Mede8er have its own software that allows you to play ISO files, mkv files and 3D content files?

3. At the moment, I have a PC with 4 3TB drives hanging off it in the home office and the TV in the back has another PC hooked up to it. I load the movie file on the PC in the back and play it back via PowerDVD. I assume that this Mede8er replaces the PC, yes?

Thanks for your reply and I hope you don't mind answering these new questions.
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

Hi to All,

At the moment PowerDVD 12/13 does not read this type of MKV 3D.

I have opened an official ticket to cyberlink to try solving the issue but it seems (from Cyberlink support) that the mkv format created by MAKEMKV is incorrect.

Could someone give me some technical information about the 3D MKV created by MAKEMKV to forward to Cyberlink SUpport?

It seems that cyberlink are not able to understand how are generated this type of MKV 3D.

thanks

Ltm82
twa000

Post by twa000 »

kakkalla wrote:I've just looked up what Mede8er is.

As you have guessed, I use a PC to play back the ripped files through my amp and into the TV. Hence I am at the mercy of the software giants like Cyberlink.

1. What I mean by inferior quality is the "depth" perception of the 3D play back. For example, in the opening segment where the scene is over the sea heading to where the island is and the Fox writing comes up, and then the next bit of writing comes up, the scenes are not as 3D as they are when playing off my original BD disc.

2. If you don't mind, with your setup, does Mede8er have its own software that allows you to play ISO files, mkv files and 3D content files?

3. At the moment, I have a PC with 4 3TB drives hanging off it in the home office and the TV in the back has another PC hooked up to it. I load the movie file on the PC in the back and play it back via PowerDVD. I assume that this Mede8er replaces the PC, yes?

Thanks for your reply and I hope you don't mind answering these new questions.
2. All these media players have their own firmware.
The Mede8er will happily play 2D and 3D in most formats including MVC MKV, although jukebox support is (in my opinion) not as good as Dunes.
The Dune will happily play 2D most formats and 3D ISO - MVC MKV is kind of promised, but with Dune that could be somewhere long in the future or next day (they are not great communicators :) ). Probably has the better audio output capabilities and better jukebox capabiliies.

3. Depending on the box, you can attach storage directly, or if you have big libraries then they support NAS storage without issues (samba or nfs)... I currently have 3 NAS boxes on my Gb lan, which through the media player support 3 different rooms with their TV's/receivers.

These boxes are built for video streaming, not playing your audio (music) libraries (my view)
kakkalla

Post by kakkalla »

Thanks for the reply. I will look these up in further detail.

Itm82, I hope you have some answers so that we know what is at fault: PowerDVD or MakeMKV.

Thanks.