Region setting of drive does not match the region of....

Everything related to MakeMKV
Gronnie

Region setting of drive does not match the region of....

Post by Gronnie »

Keep getting message "Region setting of drive TSSTcorp:CDDVDW SH-224BB does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around..." on every single disc I insert and rip with MakeMKV. I have verified region is set to 1 and all the discs were purchased here in the states and are (should be) Region 1 discs.

Any idea what might be going on? It is always able to work, but it slows things down a bit and is slightly annoying.
Woodstock

Re: Region setting of drive does not match the region of....

Post by Woodstock »

It is just an informational message, most of the time. My drives do not have a region set on them, so I get it regularly.

You may find that your drive is NOT set to region 1. VLC and MakeMKV work just fine with drives that have not had their region set.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Prof.Ron.Helms

Re: Region setting of drive does not match the region of....

Post by Prof.Ron.Helms »

MakeMKV has been "trying to work around" the region setting problem for more than 8 hours with no sign that any progress is being made. The drive is an LG WP50NB40 (Blu-ray & DVD) external drive, attempting to read a DVD (Boston Legal, Season 2, Disk 5). This drive presumably uses the US region and the DVD disk presumably has the US region--there should not be a mis-match. I've had no problems with MakeMKV and this drive reading other Blu-ray or DVD disks. However I had exactly the same problem with a different copy (from NetFlix) of the same disk. In the previous case I let MakeMKV run overnight and it never resolved the "trying to work around" the region setting problem.
VLC plays the disk without problem.
Please help!