LPCM BR discs - no sound?

Everything related to MakeMKV
jimbo1

LPCM BR discs - no sound?

Post by jimbo1 »

Hello,

This is the second disc I've encountered in the last couple of days with no sound available on the Oppo 103. The two discs so far are 6th sense and Crimson Tide. Both have LPCM audio tracks. When I convert with Bytecopy I get sound but with MakeMKV , no luck.

Is there a setting in MakeMKV I need to adjust?
jimbo1

Re: LPCM BR discs - no sound?

Post by jimbo1 »

I did find this thread and it does fix the issue although I'm not sure if this keeps the audio playback quality. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407589/makem ... lpcm-audio
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

I found this post from luch78 on avsforum but have to wonder if I should be doing something in makemkv to make this step unnecessary and if I potentially downgrade the audio by doing this.

This post is to share some information and the solution to the problems I was having with MakeMKV and Blu-rays with LPCM audio. When remuxing Blu-rays containing LPCM audio with MakeMKV, I would not be able to playback the LPCM audio track using anything, including VLC on PC, Popcorn Hour c200, Boxee Box, etc. MakeMKV sets the Codec ID to "A_MS/ACM" which is a very uncommon codec. To solve this problem, open MKVmerge GUI, and go to File -> Header Editor. Then go to File -> Open and browse to your MKV. Scroll down to the audio track that contains the LPCM audio and change the Codec ID from "A_MS/ACM" to "A_PCM/INT/LIT". Then File -> Save. Your MKV will now contain an LPCM audio track that should be compatible with any software or hardware capable of playing MKV files... Hope this helps...
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

I've had mixed results trying to edit the mkv headers. The problem is that since there is no channel mapping information, the player will often get it wrong. This is why "A_PCM/INT/LIT" isn't used by default in makemkv in the first place. I've found that the best way to resolve this problem is use the FLAC profile to encode it to FLAC, which should not degrade the audio quality, and make the audio considerably smaller to boot. Since the original track is LPCM, you shouldn't even need the dtsdecoderdll.dll.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

kevmitch wrote:I've had mixed results trying to edit the mkv headers. The problem is that since there is no channel mapping information, the player will often get it wrong. This is why "A_PCM/INT/LIT" isn't used by default in makemkv in the first place. I've found that the best way to resolve this problem is use the FLAC profile to encode it to FLAC, which should not degrade the audio quality, and make the audio considerably smaller to boot. Since the original track is LPCM, you shouldn't even need the dtsdecoderdll.dll.

Thanks - you are correct - editing it for crimson tide didn't help. Is there a walk through for complete newbies on how to do what you are suggesting with the flac thing?
bw001

Post by bw001 »

jimbo1 wrote:
kevmitch wrote:I've had mixed results trying to edit the mkv headers. The problem is that since there is no channel mapping information, the player will often get it wrong. This is why "A_PCM/INT/LIT" isn't used by default in makemkv in the first place. I've found that the best way to resolve this problem is use the FLAC profile to encode it to FLAC, which should not degrade the audio quality, and make the audio considerably smaller to boot. Since the original track is LPCM, you shouldn't even need the dtsdecoderdll.dll.

Thanks - you are correct - editing it for crimson tide didn't help. Is there a walk through for complete newbies on how to do what you are suggesting with the flac thing?
Click the Expert Mode checkbox on the General tab in MakeMKV Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, select FLAC in Default profile dropdown.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

bw001 wrote:
jimbo1 wrote:

Click the Expert Mode checkbox on the General tab in MakeMKV Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, select FLAC in Default profile dropdown.

Thanks!! I'll give that a try when I get a chance.
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

You might not want to make FLAC your default profile if you don't want to mess around with dtsdecoderdll.dll for most blurays. You probably just want to use the FLAC profile for a the LPCM blurays in question. In the same window where you select the titles, there should be a dropdown menu to select the profile for just the current rip.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

kevmitch wrote:You might not want to make FLAC your default profile if you don't want to mess around with dtsdecoderdll.dll for most blurays. You probably just want to use the FLAC profile for a the LPCM blurays in question. In the same window where you select the titles, there should be a dropdown menu to select the profile for just the current rip.
That's true, I only convert LPCM to FLAC and I've created my own custom profile.

Otherwise, you would need to switch back and forth between the "Default" and "FLAC" profiles, depending on what disc you're processing.