No audio The Recruit

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jimbo1

No audio The Recruit

Post by jimbo1 »

Hello,

Most of my BR burns will play in one audio track or another but with the Recruit, not a single one will play on my Oppo using mezzmo. I have about 45 movies ripped so far, this is the first I'm having this issue but maybe more will come. I have tried all 3 tracks and while they will play on my PC, none will play when streamed to my Oppo.
ndjamena

Re: No audio The Recruit

Post by ndjamena »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Recruit-Blu-ray/307/

All version of The Recruit on Blu Ray contain English Audio in both PCM and AC-3, as well as several foreign languages in AC-3. None listed show exactly 3 audio streams.

PCM and AC-3 are the two most basic and compatible Audio codecs of them all and no player should have problems with them.

However PCM is kind of rare. I'm wondering if it's possible that since the file doesn't contain DTS-MA or TrueHD that Mezzmo isn't bothering to Transcode the file and that may be the route of your problems. Try turning Transcoding off, setting all the advanced device options to 'Always Deliver' and streaming a DTS-MA file to the Oppo to see if you have any problems. Or go into the Device settings 'performance' tab and set the maximum resolution to 1280x720 to force a transcode and see if the audio in the 'The Recruit' rip comes back.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Now I'm wondering if it's possible MakeMKV 1.8.10 messed up the audio time-codes in the file, maybe you could try re-ripping with an older version.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ndjamena wrote:Now I'm wondering if it's possible MakeMKV 1.8.10 messed up the audio time-codes in the file
No, Audio timecodes are always correct. 1.8.9-1.8.10 was putting occasionally incorrect timecodes on B-frames in video stream (and the difference was almost always less than 1 millisecond). These timecodes (on B-frames) are ignored by pretty much every software besides MakeMKV, and that's why it was noticed so late.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Audio timecodes are always correct. 1.8.9-1.8.10 was putting occasionally incorrect timecodes on B-frames in video stream (and the difference was almost always less than 1 millisecond). These timecodes (on B-frames) are ignored by pretty much every software besides MakeMKV, and that's why it was noticed so late.
So that bug can easily be ignored and there is no need to re-rip everything?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

cyborg wrote:
Audio timecodes are always correct. 1.8.9-1.8.10 was putting occasionally incorrect timecodes on B-frames in video stream (and the difference was almost always less than 1 millisecond). These timecodes (on B-frames) are ignored by pretty much every software besides MakeMKV, and that's why it was noticed so late.
So that bug can easily be ignored and there is no need to re-rip everything?
Yes, this is correct. In the worst case you can re-run MKV file through latest MakeMKV, and it will fix the timecodes. Again, neither mkvmerge nor mkvvalidator would even notice the problem.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

In the worst case you can re-run MKV file through latest MakeMKV, and it will fix the timecodes.
Will there be any log messages in that case?

I just re-run a MKV file (created with MakeMKV 1.8.10) through MakeMKV 1.8.11 and I have several log messages about AV sync issues and invalid timecodes:
MakeMKV v1.8.11 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\cyborg/MakeMKV_log.txt
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Video/neu
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'D:/Video/neu/title00.mkv' (title #1)
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:01:51.736 : video frame timecode differs by +1.375ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:02:01.579 : video frame timecode differs by +1.208ms
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:03:27.207 : video frame timecode differs by +1ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:05:12.478 : video frame timecode differs by +1.166ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:05:35.960 : video frame timecode differs by +1.375ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:06:02.236 : video frame timecode differs by +1.125ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:06:06.699 : video frame timecode differs by +1.333ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:06:39.148 : video frame timecode differs by +1.25ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:27.613 : video frame timecode differs by +1.166ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:29.449 : video frame timecode differs by +1ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:29.449 : too many video frames with invalid timecodes, future messages will be suppressed
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:08:23.128 with duration of 45.869s : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +45.869s
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:42:53.780 with duration of 91.756s : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +45.886s
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:02:21.028 : video stream has 140 frames with invalid timecodes
1 titles saved
This looks kind of broken to me?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

cyborg wrote:
In the worst case you can re-run MKV file through latest MakeMKV, and it will fix the timecodes.
Will there be any log messages in that case?

I just re-run a MKV file (created with MakeMKV 1.8.10) through MakeMKV 1.8.11 and I have several log messages about AV sync issues and invalid timecodes:
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:06:39.148 : video frame timecode differs by +1.25ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:27.613 : video frame timecode differs by +1.166ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:29.449 : video frame timecode differs by +1ms
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 0:07:29.449 : too many video frames with invalid timecodes, future messages will be suppressed
AV sync issue in stream 0 at 1:02:21.028 : video stream has 140 frames with invalid timecodes
1 titles saved
This looks kind of broken to me?
For video, this is expected behaviour - 1.8.10 put invalid timecodes on B-frames and 1.8.11 detected (and repaired) it.
cyborg wrote: AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:08:23.128 with duration of 45.869s : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +45.869s
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:42:53.780 with duration of 91.756s : broken timecode, apparent audio skew is +45.886s
This is much more troubling issue - you have an audio hole with a duration of 45 seconds in your file. This certainly qualifies for "no audio". So the audio time codes are indeed incorrect, but this is not due to the harmless "bad timecodes on b-frames" bug that was fixed in 1.8.11 .

The only way to figure out wahts going on is via test dump - please send the test dump per instructions at /onlinehelp/testdump.html