FLAC Quality selection????

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
kmitalian

FLAC Quality selection????

Post by kmitalian »

Hey guys,

I'm loving MakeMKV in particular using the FLAC option since I have a Raspberry Pi and it outputs it in PCM for me to get the best sound!!!.

question, is there a way i can change or alter the Quality of the FLAC that's made or is it set at it's best????

Thanks.
ndjamena

Re: FLAC Quality selection????

Post by ndjamena »

If you go into the Conversion profile there are two settings for FLAC "flac-fast" and "flac-best". It's set to use "flac-fast' by default. I've set mine to "flac-best" which I assume is better.

Code: Select all

<!-- Save DTS-HD as FLAC -->
    <trackSettings input="DTSHDMA-stereo">
        <output outputSettingsName="copy" 
                defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString">
        </output>
        <output outputSettingsName="flac-best"
                defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,+sel:true">
        </output>
    </trackSettings>
...and repeat with surround MA and TrueHD. I also set VobSubs and PGS to "copyzlib".
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

kmitalian wrote:question, is there a way i can change or alter the Quality of the FLAC that's made or is it set at it's best????
FLAC is lossless, so you can't alter the quality - only the compression efficiency. Using flac-best instead of flac-fast will save you a few bits, though on most streams, no more than a few percent (of the audio stream itself, not overall).
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

"Quality of FLAC"...

Hmmm.
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

kmitalian wrote:Hey guys,

I'm loving MakeMKV in particular using the FLAC option since I have a Raspberry Pi and it outputs it in PCM for me to get the best sound!!!.

question, is there a way i can change or alter the Quality of the FLAC that's made or is it set at it's best????

Thanks.
So many things wrong with your statement.

FLAC is a lossless audio compression. Its sound quality is the same as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA found on Blu-ray.

And because it is lossless, no settings will affect its sound quality.
tommyla

Post by tommyla »

i think he mean FLAC Compression Level
http://z-issue.com/wp/flac-compression- ... omparison/
FLAC can be thought of a zip/7z like compression
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

kmitalian wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks.
Newbie to MKV and do not see where to access PROFILE in order to set output to FLAC rather than MKV.

How does one access PROFILE?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences->General, make sure "Expert mode" is checked, and a number of new menus will become available to you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

Woodstock wrote:Preferences->General, make sure "Expert mode" is checked, and a number of new menus will become available to you.
Sorry, Woodstock, for the post on 2 forums. Not sure where I'd get a reply.

I did find where to select FLAC. Thanks for that.

Trying to get audio from 2 BDs:
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill
Tom Petty & Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes

Since I had numerous "MEDIUM ERROR" messages when trying to rip the discs with MakeMKV, I searched on the error and found the post about copying contents fo disc to another drive which I did.

Now, when I go to BDMV folder and click open, almost immediately MKV comes back (with both discs) and says...

"The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc."

I will have to say that the 4 screenshots on the MKV site suggest that this process is much simpler than it actually is.
BluFix

Post by BluFix »

Hello everyone, I'll revive this since there've been some changes I couldn't figure out.

The flac.mmcp.xml file is now inside appdata.tar. What I did: extracted appdata.tar, edited flac.mmcp.xml accordingly (flac-fast to flac-best, where applicable), recompressed all extracted files as appdata.tar and put it back into MakeMKV's folder where it was, replacing the original appdata.tar.

However, it doesn't seem to like that since I will only get the Default profile. All the others (FLAC etc.) are unavailable. There's probably another way to do this... but what is it?

Thank you.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you change a default profile, you should save it as a file in the MakeMKV DATA directory. MakeMKV considers anything in the program directory as "fair game" for deletion/replacement during updates, but the data directory is left alone.

Profiles are, of course, only available with Expert mode turned on, and they're only read when MakeMKV initializes, so you at least have to exit the program to get them read on the next start-up. Watch for any error messages in the log window when MakeMKV starts; if you have syntax error in your edited profile, it won't be available as a selection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BluFix

Post by BluFix »

Thanks, I finally figured it out. Not sure though why "flac-fast" remains the default, the minimal CPU overhead of "flac-best" shouldn't be a problem in 99% of cases today.
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

Just to note that for FLAC encoding using FFmpeg, which MakeMKV does, the compression level should really be set to maximum of 10 not the current 12 for flac-best. The FFmpeg FLAC compression levels 11 and 12 are not a FLAC subset meaning potential streaming and hardware decoding issues (some do exist). The official FLAC encoder only does compression levels 1-8 and are all FLAC subsets.

EDIT: And FFmpeg at 10 isn't a better compression than official FLAC at 8, just different increments.

About repacking the appdata.tar with a fixed flac.mmcp.xml, the --index-abcdef file ordering in the tar and non-standard way the makemkvcon binary reads the tar seems to jigger the loading hence the lost profiles. Hex editing works instead as extracting to your own profile might miss any future changes to the flac.mmcp.xml.
BluFix

Post by BluFix »

Thanks for the helpful info Reiver. I made the change from 12 to 10 in my .xml profile and it did apply to my test output. Hex editing the appdata.tar is way over my head though...

(update: I did it with HxD, not really that difficult)
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

Hey guys, I have searched everything, but I cant find a solution. I am using the newest version and would like to use FLAC profile, but with highest possible compression. Cant find an option anywhere.